Horsetail

Horsetail

Postby nanaange » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:30 am

Hi I have horsetail in various parts of my garden. The worst affected is the side of the house about 30' x 3' strip, I then have a path that separates the said strip and the wall of my house. The thing is I have noe got about half a dozen horsetails coming out from the path/house. I am terrified that theses weeds are now in my foundations. I have tried 'deadfast' weedkiller consentrate. This has had no effect at all and I have applied it 3 times over about a month period. Any help please.
nanaange

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Horsetail

Postby juliet » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Sounds like a nasty weed after I googled it. Did you see this? It sounds like you have to scrunch it and apply weedkiller that way.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... p?t=992705
juliet

Postby cloudyeyes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:30 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. It's annoying but not destructive. The roots are very thin and very very long - they can go down meters and meters. Just keep pulling the top growth out with as much of the root as you can get and don't let the sporing stems mature in the spring else you'll get it in new places. It's pretty resistant to weedkiller as there isn't much of a leaf surface area to apply it to and the plant has a high silica content so it doesn't absorb it well. If you want to try again, bruise the fronds between a couple of stones or bricks then apply it but, to be honest, it's not really worth the effort. You might knock it back a bit but you'll never kill it off completely. Like Arnie, it will be back! It's a fascinating prehistoric plant and there are far worse weeds to have.
cloudyeyes

Postby Mojisola » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Mojisola

Return to Roots