What would you do?

Re: What would you do?

Postby Collaborate » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:14 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:the photo suggests they don't care much for the tree anyway IMHO.

Kind regards

Not sure about that Mac. It looks as if it has been cut back at the top (don't know what the technical word for this is). More than most people do with their trees anyway.
Collaborate

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby croc » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:30 pm

They do cut it back every year or so, as they ask for access to our garden to do this. The tree officer did describe it as very unsympathetically pruned and not worthy of a TPO, though.
croc

Postby arborlad » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:12 pm

croc wrote:Thanks everyone, you've been really helpful.

Would it be sensible to get a tree surgeon/consultant in to give us further advice or would you not bother?

Currently we're debating proposing to the neighbours that we go halves on cutting it down and getting a new tree in a better location in their garden, as a compromise. Hopefully they aren't too attached to that particular tree. Would that be reasonable? We want to maintain a good relationship with them as it will make the build much easier (and make their view of the wall nicer!) if the builder can get access to their garden to lay the bricks.

That's a good compromise, if they'll accept it. Most of the Sorbus's (Rowan) would suit that size of garden.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby APC » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:58 pm

croc wrote:Here it is:
My 3.5m guess might be a little short now I compare it to the fence which is 1.8m

Corrrrrr, it's everything I hoped for and more 8)
APC

Postby COGGY » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:28 pm

That is absolutely amazing. Glad I don't live next door to it. It is not a tree, more like a triffid. I would not offer to pay towards any replacement tree. They may let the replacement grow enormous, a silver birch can grow huge within a short space of time. If you had trouble in the future they could simply say "Well you helped to buy it". A root control along your border, as has been suggested, would seem a necessity in this case. Also make sure that you check the border regularly to make sure roots do not manage to make it into your garden. When you have done all you can to prevent roots trespassing plus cutting any branches trespassing, then build your extension and enjoy it. Coggy
COGGY

Postby despair » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:37 pm

Looks very much like Silver Birch to me

they do not take kindly to any branch being cut so how come their pollarding has not caused its demise

Its nothing sort of pig ugly

You can legally cut back all branches and roots to the boundary so I would be doing that NOW before any start of building

Have you sought opinions from tree surgeons /arborists
despair

Postby Treeman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:47 pm

croc wrote:Thanks everyone, you've been really helpful.

Would it be sensible to get a tree surgeon/consultant in to give us further advice or would you not bother?

Currently we're debating proposing to the neighbours that we go halves on cutting it down and getting a new tree in a better location in their garden, as a compromise. Hopefully they aren't too attached to that particular tree. Would that be reasonable? We want to maintain a good relationship with them as it will make the build much easier (and make their view of the wall nicer!) if the builder can get access to their garden to lay the bricks.

I can give you a consultation based on the picture, its a mess.

When the tree officer said it was "very unsympathetically pruned" he was being diplomatic, the tree has been topped and re topped. Some here use the term pollard, a pollard is a management technique that starts when the tree is young and best able to tolerate such drastic works. This is not pollarding, it is topping which is an entirely inappropriate method of management

Trench and cut the roots, if the other side were to allege any damage it would be nearly impossible to prove root cutting or topping.

If the builder has to build overhand it will be the neighbour that has a less appealing wall to look at. They would only harming themselves.
Treeman

Postby Treeman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:49 pm

despair wrote:
they do not take kindly to any branch being cut so how come their pollarding has not caused its demise

Now there is a good question, why isn't it dead then?
Treeman

Postby COGGY » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:34 pm

It looks as though it could be dead to me. The grass in the background is really green and bright so surely the tree should be sprouting by now. Coggy
COGGY

Postby Treeman » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:28 am

COGGY wrote:It looks as though it could be dead to me. The grass in the background is really green and bright so surely the tree should be sprouting by now. Coggy

Ask yourself what time of year the picture was taken.

Not a leaf on sight on any of the trees in the background
Treeman

Postby jonahinoz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:45 am

Hi,

Have the Planners imposed any requirement for your foundations to be 3 metres deep? I've seen that requirement mentioned on self-build forums. Would drilled/piled foundations overcome the root problem? Asking, coz I don't know.

Me? I would go ahead. The tree might not die. If the tree died, your neighbour might not sue. If he did sue, would he ask to be compensated for the loss of enjoyment of his tree ... or for the tree to be replaced, which he might decide he doesn't want after all. (Replace the tree, send me the bill. Or accept a couple of hundred quid, and forget the tree). He might decide to build his own extension.

Disclaim all knowledge of the goat that appeared in his garden while he was on holiday. :twisted:

jonahinoz

Postby COGGY » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi
Treeman wrote

Good point. Why didn't I think of that? :D Coggy
COGGY

Postby Treeman » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:45 pm

COGGY wrote:Hi
Treeman wrote

Good point. Why didn't I think of that? :D Coggy

I don't know hoe but it happens all the time, but I have lost count of the number if punters who "didn't notice" the huge tree on any of the several visits they would have made in the buying process.
Treeman

Postby despair » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:04 pm

A tree that was small when someone bought and moved in 40 years ago can be a huge problem today
despair

Postby Treeman » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:19 pm

despair wrote:A tree that was small when someone bought and moved in 40 years ago can be a huge problem today

It could be if you are a "glass half empty" sort of person but the more positive would see it as benefit
Treeman

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Roots