Weeds Act 1959 and Injurious Weeds

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Weeds Act 1959 and Injurious Weeds

Postby Angelisle » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:30 pm

What a Public Enemy?
The Weeds Act 1959 classifies certain species of weed that grow in the UK for specific control. These are known as injurious weeds.

Under the Act the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) can, if satisfied that specified weeds are growing upon any land, serve a notice requiring the occupier to take action to prevent the spread of those weeds. An unreasonable failure to comply with a notice is an offence.

The Weeds Act only applies to the following weeds:

• Common Ragwort

• Spear Thistle

• Creeping or Field Thistle

• Curled Dock

• Broad-Leaved Dock

You can find out more about injurious weeds from DEFRA who provide a leaflet on identifying the five weeds specified in the Weeds Act, as well as other leaflets and a Code of Practice on how to prevent the spread of Ragwort.

I really must get out more :roll: I actually found this article interesting :lol:
Angelisle

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby twig » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:54 am

Could you link to the article? About 3 years ago I and my neighbours got invaded with ragwort and it came from an area of council land (no idea how it got there). I'm only just getting rid of the last of it now.
twig

Postby Angelisle » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:16 am

Hi Twig,
Scavenger Hunt for weeds begins, start of the weed trail
www.defra.gov.uk/environ/weedsact/default.htm
Then a little light reading Ragwort Control Act 2003
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2003/20030040.htm
Angelisle

Postby Rox » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:36 pm

Just my luck - no ground elder!!!
Rox

Return to Gardening