Lawn problem

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Lawn problem

Postby sheilam » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:33 am

Something is digging up my lawn and making a dreadful mess of it. I have been told it is birds looking for a particular type of grub. Can anyone confirm this please and perhaps offer a solution to the problem. I will have to re-turf a large area of my front garden lawn but I am worried that this will also be decimated. My neighbour had a similar problem with his back garden lawn and was conviced it was squirrels and after numerous unsuccessful attempts to get rid of them, bought an air rifle to scare them off. It worked, but whatever it was damaging his lawn has moved to mine. I am sure the culprits are not sqirrels because they usually dig holes, whle this problem is large areas of lawn 'scraped' back. Hope someone can help, but please don't suggest I use a gun!
sheilam

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby victor508 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:06 am

I would say a badger

see photos on the site.

Lately i have had a mole just under the surface, which has totally ruined the lawn, it could be that.

There will be other opinions to follow no doubt.

Victor.
victor508

Postby sheilam » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:45 am

Victor,

Thank you for your reply but I don't think a mole is the culprit for my damaged lawn. I don't think they just scrape back the top of the lawn over a wide area which is what is happening to me.
sheilam

Postby sheilam » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:02 am

Hi Victor

Have just looked at the link you gave me and the photo resembles my lawn exactly and although I couldn't remember the name, I had been told that whatever it was digging it up would be looking for Chafer grubs. Although I haven't seen badgers, foxes are very common as are magpies and crows. I will contact the companies suggested to see if they can get rid of them for me. Thank you
sheilam

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:05 am

It does sound like badgers and if so the only way to keep them out is some kind of fencing, other than that killing off their food source would be the only other thing I can think of...not easy.

My Husbands parents have had this problem and they do cause such an awful mess, they fenced them out of the main garden but couldn't fence the front so had to wait until they moved on.

As badgers are nocturnal you could spend a few sleepless nights trying to scare them away, not with a gun of course but by your presence. If they don’t feel safe they might find somewhere else to go.

Best of luck.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby victor508 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:38 pm

1 website suggests putting out food for them as they don't destroy where the eat,worth a try, probably someone has already tried it and can tell you if it works.

Victor.
victor508

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:30 pm

victor508 wrote:1 website suggests putting out food for them as they don't destroy where the eat,worth a try, probably someone has already tried it and can tell you if it works.

Victor.

I think that is a really good idea because it should save the lawn but you also get the benefit of having these beautiful animals in your garden. A night vision camera would be great and then you can watch them, in Center Parcs they have badgercam and it is lovely to watch. :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:17 pm

It does sound like badgers. We wouldn't notice if we had badgers as we have so many rabbit holes. A few more wouldn't make much difference. :lol: They're digging up the bulbs now to eat. We often see a fox on the cctv, but we've haven't seen a badger. I think we might put another camera in the back garden, it'll be more interesting watching the animals than the neighbours. :wink:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:26 pm

appledore wrote:I think we might put another camera in the back garden, it'll be more interesting watching the animals than the neighbours. :wink:

What if you find out your neighbours run onto your lawn and eat bulbs too? :lol: It probably isn’t a pretty site but funny as hell! :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:37 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:What if you find out your neighbours run onto your lawn and eat bulbs too? :lol: It probably isn’t a pretty site but funny as hell! :wink:

Nothing would surprise me Will. :lol: :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby sheilam » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:48 pm

After spending most of the afternoon researching Chafer grubs, I am fairly sure now that they are the problem on my lawn. It seems that they provide a juicy meal for large birds and foxes which in turn also contribute to the damage. Although I live near woods, the recent snowfall didn't suggest badgers but an apparant army of foxes' judging by their footprints all over my garden. I have now contacted Green Thumb as advertised on one of the web sites. They claim to get rid of the grubs which hopefully should solve the problem. Before they come however, I have asked my wildlife photographer grandson if he can set up his camera to try and capture the culprits. I will let you know the results. While I am very happy to put food out for badgers, I am afraid it will only attract more foxes (and maybe rats). They already keep my security lights going on and off all night. Thank you for your help.
sheilam

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:58 pm

The badgers might suffocate in artificial grass. :lol: :oops:

We saw an artificial hedge the other day. :lol: It would be well placed in Lego Land, but in a garden? Goodness what utter tastelessness. Artificial grass to me is like artificial flowers…awful! But each to their own. :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:01 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:We saw an artificial hedge the other day. :lol: It would be well placed in Lego Land, but in a garden? Goodness what utter tastelessness. Artificial grass to me is like artificial flowers…awful! But each to their own. :wink:

We saw one the other day too. They must be 'in'. I'll stick to the leylandii. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:09 pm

appledore wrote:We saw one the other day too. They must be 'in'. I'll stick to the leylandii. :lol:

I'm just imagining a giant artificial Leylandii hedge. :lol: :lol:

Oh dear this would be funny :arrow: http://www.wildernesseye.com/magic%20tree.jpg
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:13 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:
appledore wrote:We saw one the other day too. They must be 'in'. I'll stick to the leylandii. :lol:

I'm just imagining a giant artificial Leylandii hedge. :lol: :lol:

Oh dear this would be funny :arrow: http://www.wildernesseye.com/magic%20tree.jpg

They should be wearing vests, they'll get a chill on their chests. :lol:

If you got sick of an artificial leylandii hedge think of all the bottle brushes you'd have.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Gardening