What replaces a conifer and is just as hardy?

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:08 pm

appledore wrote:Hi Will! There were some lovely Acers in the supermarket this morning. I thought of you, and I'd have got one for you if I could have pushed it down the wire. :lol:

Hi apples. :) I saw some cute little acers in Tesco the other day, I would have bought one last time I shopped but they had all gone. :(
Go on push one down the wire. :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Acers do not like dry sandy soils or alkaline ones and Vine weevils just love their roots

Escallonia do not like dry sandy soils either

Photinia Red Robin is a good alternative to conifers but it does need water and lots of TLC in some soils before its really established

Pyracantha groes anywhere and can be kept easily to form a slim hedge thats also burglar deterrant

Euonymous , Eleagnus and variegated privets are all pretty hardy and give lovely foliage colours all year round
despair

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:57 am

Anything we plant to replace this conifer will have to withstand trampling by neighbours kids. We thought about red robin but it wouldn't last the summer. An Acer is too good for that spot, it would have to be something big and bushy.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:32 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Anything we plant to replace this conifer will have to withstand trampling by neighbours kids. We thought about red robin but it wouldn't last the summer. An Acer is too good for that spot, it would have to be something big and bushy.

You want something with big spikes to withstand the neighbours' kids.
Maybe a berberis or pyracanthra. The cold weather killed some of our red robins. We have some in pots that are ok, but the ones planted in the garden have gone.

I've pushed an acer down the wire, but I don't think there'll be any leaves left by the time you get it. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:08 pm

appledore wrote:You want something with big spikes to withstand the neighbours' kids.
Maybe a berberis or pyracanthra. The cold weather killed some of our red robins. We have some in pots that are ok, but the ones planted in the garden have gone.

I've pushed an acer down the wire, but I don't think there'll be any leaves left by the time you get it. :lol:

Aw thank you apples, the Acer is ace! :lol:

I suppose we could plant something spiky but we really don't want to be un-neighbourly or un-friendly, we will leave that to them. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Previous

Return to Gardening