What replaces a conifer and is just as hardy?

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:44 am

kipper wrote:Cotoneaster c. simonsii. Grows about 6-7ft tall. Small pink-streaked white flowers attract bees in early summer with red berries in autumn.

I have just Googled it and I love it! Very pretty. Thank you, will definitely consider it. :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby appledore » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:01 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:
kipper wrote:Cotoneaster c. simonsii. Grows about 6-7ft tall. Small pink-streaked white flowers attract bees in early summer with red berries in autumn.

I have just Googled it and I love it! Very pretty. Thank you, will definitely consider it. :D

Yes, it is very pretty. I think we'll look for one. We have lots of gaps to fill following the cold weather. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:03 pm

appledore wrote:We have lots of gaps to fill following the cold weather. :)

How did those lovely acers do apples? They were so lovely in the pictures you showed, we were really tempted to get a couple ourselves. Are they frost hardy? :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:28 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[How did those lovely acers do apples? They were so lovely in the pictures you showed, we were really tempted to get a couple ourselves. Are they frost hardy? :)

Hi Will. They did fine. The ones in pots on the patio are quite sheltered, but we have some planted in the garden and they are fine too. They look quite delicate, but they're not.

We had lots of hebes, but they've all gone, and the choisyas were damaged with the frost, but we've cut them back and they should be ok.
The rabbits ate the euonymus. (we call them anonymouses). :lol: The poor things were so hungry they ate plants they don't normally touch.
We had a couple of castor oil plants in pots on the patio, but they've gone.
too.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby despair » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:08 pm

The snow and frosts certainly did major damage to many conifers

along with other plants and shrubs because i certainly lost plemty

Anyone who planted the much touted Mediteranean Garden to deal with Global warming will have lost loads
despair

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:48 pm

appledore wrote:Hi Will. They did fine. The ones in pots on the patio are quite sheltered, but we have some planted in the garden and they are fine too. They look quite delicate, but they're not.

We had lots of hebes, but they've all gone, and the choisyas were damaged with the frost, but we've cut them back and they should be ok.
The rabbits ate the euonymus. (we call them anonymouses). :lol: The poor things were so hungry they ate plants they don't normally touch.
We had a couple of castor oil plants in pots on the patio, but they've gone.
too.

Hi apples, I'm glad your acers did well. It sounds like your bunnies were saved by having your garden as their winter buffet. I bet the caster oil plants kept them regular. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby kipper » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:02 pm

Glad you like the cotoneaster! We have one and it can be hard pruned and shaped to keep it neat.

We also have an acer (Japanese Maple) in a pot and it is as tough as old boots! We forgot to water it during a particularly dry spell last summer and the leaves curled up and dropped off - thought we'd killed it, but it is back in bud now! You're supposed to keep them shaded from the afternoon sun so we have ours at the back which faces east so it gets some morning sun then is in shade the rest of the day.
kipper

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:06 pm

despair wrote:The snow and frosts certainly did major damage to many conifers

I don’t think our conifers suffered too much through winter, they just have brown bits which are not too attractive. I remember my nana and granddad having a lot of conifers and they were always brown in places. :lol: Might have had something to do with our dogs cocking their legs up on them. :oops:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:24 am

kipper wrote:We also have an acer (Japanese Maple) in a pot and it is as tough as old boots! We forgot to water it during a particularly dry spell last summer and the leaves curled up and dropped off - thought we'd killed it, but it is back in bud now! You're supposed to keep them shaded from the afternoon sun so we have ours at the back which faces east so it gets some morning sun then is in shade the rest of the day.

I am surprised that these Acers are so hardy! I love the look of them, apples photo of her Acers are incredible. I was so tempted to buy one or two and for some strange reason thought they might not do so well because of shade and frost etc... Well, I think I will get one now because we have a few shady areas where it would look pretty. :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:35 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Hi apples, I'm glad your acers did well. It sounds like your bunnies were saved by having your garden as their winter buffet. I bet the caster oil plants kept them regular. :lol:

Yes, judging by the amount of carlins round the garden they certainly did. :lol:

I know acers are supposed to be kept shaded from the afternoon sun, but ours are in full sun. A few of the leaves get a bit shrivelled, but on the whole they do fine.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby appledore » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:43 pm

despair wrote:Anyone who planted the much touted Mediteranean Garden to deal with Global warming will have lost loads

That's true. Gardening programmes amuse me when they show you what to do with tropical plants so they survive the winter. Putting delicate plants in the greenhouse, and wrapping those left in the garden in fleece to protect them from the frost. I think it's much better to buy plants and shrubs that are hardy enough to survive our winters. Although after last winter I might buy a big roll of fleece and cover everything in the garden. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:49 pm

appledore wrote:Yes, judging by the amount of carlins round the garden they certainly did. :lol:

Image Did they pull this face after the castor oil plants? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:53 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[
Image Did they pull this face after the castor oil plants? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That must have been a big carlin. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:54 pm

appledore wrote:That must have been a big carlin. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: It's a chocolate fountain bunny. :lol: He's screaming 'why doesn't apples label this buffet? I need no more fibre!' :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi Will! There were some lovely Acers in the supermarket this morning. I thought of you, and I'd have got one for you if I could have pushed it down the wire. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Gardening