Growing Asters

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Growing Asters

Postby Fitztucker » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone have any tips about growing asters? Can you only grow them from seeds?

Many Thanks

FT
Fitztucker

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Growing Asters

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:39 pm

Fitztucker wrote:Hi All,

Does anyone have any tips about growing asters? Can you only grow them from seeds?

Many Thanks

FT

Hi FT.

A snipped taken from this website below.
http://www.life123.com/home-garden/flow ... rden.shtml

You can start asters from seed but most gardeners will want to start with plants. If you start with seeds, you can sow the seed where you want the plants to grow or, for best results, you can start the seed indoors six to eight weeks before your last frost and transplant outside.

Asters form large clumps and need to be divided every three years or so. Simply dig up the clump in the early spring and separate it into two or three parts, which you will then re plant. Space asters from a foot to three feet apart, depending on variety.

I wouldn't really have had a clue about these, but do now. They are quite pretty flowers. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby juliet » Sat May 01, 2010 9:28 pm

Nothing to do with asters........but when I moved into my house a few years ago we had quite a few bushes that I hadn't seen before. Then they flowered and are absolutely gorgeous for quite a few weeks. White flowers that 'go to bed' and then get up in the morning!

After searching, they are called rock roses but not sure what variety that I have, but they are beautiful.
juliet

Postby juliet » Sat May 01, 2010 9:34 pm

juliet

Postby destiny » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:52 am

Aster plants will grow well in average soils. Once your Aster are established, they should grow well for years. Soil should be moist, but not wet. They will withstand dry periods. Water them during dry periods, once or twice per week to keep growth vibrant.
Aster seeds can also be directly seeded into your flower garden, or seeded indoors for transplanting later. We recommend planting Asters in pots and containers indoors, then transplanting the seedlings outdoors in early spring. This allows you to make the proper spacing.
destiny

Return to Gardening