Verticillium Wilt

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Verticillium Wilt

Postby Cytania » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:04 pm

I got a good reminder of how tricky plant diseases can be last week. A formerly healthy staghorn sumac suddenly went on me. Leaves discoloured and wilted - but this only happened after the rain and cooler weather arrived.

Now those of you who have ever suspected neighbours applying weedkiller to your plants should take note. The change was sudden and affected the topmost part of the tree. If the tree succumbs I'll get a proof positive of verticillium fungus wilt as there will be tell-tale grey rings in the sapwood.

The real culprit is of course lower than average rainfall stressing the plant and leaving it open to this fungus. Verticillium wilt is only contracted by certain plants such as sumacs, maples and fruit trees so do your research before jumping to diagnosis (I'm keeping an open mind myself) :cry:
They cut down all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum and charged all the people just to see 'em
Cytania

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:54 pm

Does it affect Gleditzia ?

My 10 yr old beautiful Gleditzia has dropped all its leaves over last weeks and looks dead as a do do
despair

Postby Cytania » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:17 am

Gleditsia is meant to be one the trees immune to verticillium wilt despair and it's also meant to be one of the trees most tolerant of drought.

Quite worrying to hear about your plant giving up the ghost. Anyone shed some light on this?
They cut down all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum and charged all the people just to see 'em
Cytania

Return to Gardening