Evergreen climber

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Evergreen climber

Postby juliet » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:41 pm

Is there a nice evergreen climber that grows fairly quick but looks good? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
juliet

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Evergreen climber

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:25 pm

juliet wrote:Is there a nice evergreen climber that grows fairly quick but looks good? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Hi Juliet. There are quite a few evergreen climbers listed in the below link.
http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/category.cfm?cat_id=20

I know clematis is quite fast growing. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby despair » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:14 pm

Honeysuckles are your best bet because they do not get loads of dead leaves later on whereas Clematiis Armandii is rampant but will have times when its full of dead brown leaves

Summer Jasmine and Winter Jasmine are good too and easily maintained

otherwise there are lovely variegated ivy that look good all year round

Euonymous whilst technically a shrub will actually go to great heights against a wall
despair

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:57 am

We grow variegated ivy and then have clematis giving us flowers throughout summer and it is cut back in winter. This is nice because we have the ivy for coverage and then we look forward to the clematis growing back in spring and then having flowers.

It depends on what you want really, it is nice to have something winter flowering too, so winter flowering jasmine and honeysuckle are good choices. If you have room, plant many different things so you get a pretty screen all year round. We didn’t have room to plant much so it is mostly ivy but lovely never the less to have flowers through summer.

If you have a garden arch or pergola it would be lovely to plant a grapevine. Then you could make different things with them or just sit there and eat them. http://www.gardens-to-go.org.uk/Photos/ ... pevine.jpg Imagine how lovely that would be, then imagine the wasps, I might have burst the bubble. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby juliet » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Cheers Despair and Will - really appreciated. I went for an evergreen clematis and honeysuckle. Put two of each in and just need them to grow a bit now!

(Usual reason - screening out those neighbours who love to stare as you go about your business :D They are first class weirdo's :lol: )
juliet

Postby despair » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:33 pm

Do add some hybrid clematis too

They are only £1.79 at Morrisons
despair

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:16 pm

juliet wrote:Cheers Despair and Will - really appreciated. I went for an evergreen clematis and honeysuckle. Put two of each in and just need them to grow a bit now!

(Usual reason - screening out those neighbours who love to stare as you go about your business :D They are first class weirdo's :lol: )

:lol:

I know the type Juliet, everyone looks out of their windows but watching ‘you’ specifically going about your chores or gardening is a little strange and annoying too. That is what we endure when the muppet show is in town. :mad: We took measures to block our neighbours out one side, it wasn’t just about blocking them out of course but privacy is needed when people are a little too inappropriately interested. :lol:

Honeysuckle and clematis sound lovely, feed and water them well and they will soon grow up. Don’t forget some ivy too, that will give other things something else to wrap around, it is evergreen so even if anything dies back or looks a little brown you will still have the nice green foliage. :smile:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby juliet » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:40 pm

Thanks again. I nearly lost the clematis mind, was out over the weekend never gave it a thought, then noticed this morning it was really wilted. But it has picked up again. Lost a couple of leaves, the poor thing....
juliet

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:45 pm

juliet wrote:Thanks again. I nearly lost the clematis mind, was out over the weekend never gave it a thought, then noticed this morning it was really wilted. But it has picked up again. Lost a couple of leaves, the poor thing....

Is it in full sun? These things can wilt and shrivel when getting a little too burned by the sun, either that or it needs more water. :lol: Give it a cool beer, it will perk up ‘no end’. :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby juliet » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:41 pm

They've perked up nicely now and have started to grow. I think it was just purely a lack of water. Can't wait for them to be another couple of feet mind.....
juliet

Postby despair » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:48 pm

If its hybrid Clematis they must be planted DEEPLY and given lots of compost and water or Clematis wilt will hit

Honeysuckle is the fastest grower

Clematis Armandi is too but some of the leaves die off and look a mess if you cannot snip them easily

Winter Jasmine and Summer Jasmine are great but take a bit longer to establish

Theres a winter flowering clematis called Freckles
despair

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:07 pm

I have a few hybrid clematis, they do beautifully. I water a lot so have never seen the wilt happen, at the moment it is the wind which is blowing petals off my flowers. :( Luckily there's many more to come out yet.

We bought a jasmine which is growing faster than our clematis armandi, although I can't remember the name of it now. :oops:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby ukmicky » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Plants that grow quickly tend to quickly get out of control
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:29 pm

We have virginia creeper and russian vine, they are to cover a small trellis, I suppose I will be kept busy cutting them back. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Gardening