Butternut Squash

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Butternut Squash

Postby Rox » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:37 pm

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if I need to pollenate the flowers on my Butternut squashes. It is the first time that I have grown them and they are in flower at the moment.
I have grown marrows before which have male and female flowers that have to 'mate'! I wonder if the squashes are the same although there aren't two different flowers - only what looks like a female.
Shall I just dust from one to the other with a small brush?

I need urgent help before the flowers fade! PLEASE!!!
Rox

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby syckend » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Only thing I know about butternut squash is that you can make a very nice soup with them. But I have just mugged up on them via a Google search - lots of interesting facts including the one you want - they do have male and female flowers, so I should get dusting and hope that you do have some of each!
syckend

Postby Rox » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:25 pm

Cheers syckened, I had a quick look earlier to no avail, will try again. It's much nicer talking to all of you tho! :D
Rox

Postby nigelrb » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:59 pm

Hi Rox,

Generally, the Butternut variety produce less male flowers than female - hence your difficulty in finding them. The male flower has an extra long stamen (not unlike some other male varieties) and is quite often found closer to the main trunk/stem of the plants. Have a good look and you'll work it out. You will get a far better crop by assisted fertilisation.

Don't want to sound like a 'know-it-all' but I used to enjoy growing pumpkins/squash/ zuccini etc.

Cheers, Nigel
Life is never what it seems; there is always two sides to every story.
nigelrb

Postby Rox » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:35 am

Cheers Nigelrb,
off I go then, in search of an extra long male!
:wink:
Rox

Postby FarmerGiles » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:39 pm

I have a slightly different question regarding Squash.....

I also wish i had read more as I don't think all the flowers have pollinated and I think I have only 5 fruit....

Anyway, the question is.... Should I pick off the growing tip to stop the plant trailing all over the plot and to encourage it to put its energy into the fruit that has formed?
FarmerGiles

Postby Rox » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:13 pm

Well Nigel,
I have found some possible males growing very close to the stem but they aren't open yet. All the female flowers have flopped and died so now what do I do? Does this mean that there won't be any fruits.
This is the exact opposite to the usual findings!
Do you think there is any chance of more female flowers when the males are ready and willing? I would have thought that time is running out now.

Cheers
Rox.
Rox

Postby Beech » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:04 pm

FarmerGiles wrote:I have a slightly different question regarding Squash.....

I also wish i had read more as I don't think all the flowers have pollinated and I think I have only 5 fruit....

Anyway, the question is.... Should I pick off the growing tip to stop the plant trailing all over the plot and to encourage it to put its energy into the fruit that has formed?

Probably a good idea, to get the fruit to develop and grow before the frosts. :)
Beech

Postby nigelrb » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:58 pm

Hi Rox. Sorry about delay, moved home and had probs with internet access. Guess your whole plant's flopped by now.
Let's have a joint 'squash forum' (if you'll excuse the terminology) next season!!
Cheers, Nigel
nigelrb

Butternut squash

Postby Brengun » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:02 pm

Just found this site and am interested in the squash topic. I have two prolific vines still vigourous. The fruit (three) are each about 2lb in weight. At the moment they are a pale green but seem to be yellowing. I live in the SW and they are well protected from frost. Should I prune the vine to just the active stems?
Brengun

Postby nigelrb » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:29 pm

Hi Bren,
Good idea, it will permit all nutrients to the fruit.
Cheers, Nigel
nigelrb

Postby Brengun » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:50 pm

:roll: Thanks Nigel. The fruit are over 2/3lb in weight. I think they are Waltham. Can I leave them on the vine till frosts? Must admit I feel very excited. They seem very much like my own babies :roll:
Brengun

Postby Rox » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:00 pm

Ok that's enough rubbing my nose in it. Pretty flowers not a fruit in sight!
:cry:
Rox.
Rox

Postby nigelrb » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:38 pm

Brengun wrote::roll: Thanks Nigel. The fruit are over 2/3lb in weight. I think they are Waltham. Can I leave them on the vine till frosts? Must admit I feel very excited. They seem very much like my own babies :roll:

Easy. Would you leave your baby in the frost?

A more talented squash harvester may advise otherwise, but generally, they are best picked when the plant starts dying off.

I'm sure fellow member 'Rox' would just love to see a photo of them!
Cheers, Nigel
nigelrb

Postby Brengun » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:53 pm

Sorry Rox. Didn't mean to boast but it's not often I have anything to brag about :roll:

Nigel: As it happens I do have a picture!! but how do I put it on site?
Brengun

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Gardening