Diascia problem

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Diascia problem

Postby philj » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:08 pm

This year I have attempted to grow some Diascias from plug plants but the plants are not looking too good and I wondered if anyone can identify the problem.

I have had the plugs a month or so and planted them in new 4ins pots in Miracle-Gro compost. As new leaves appear most of them are distorted and develop a white area which looks like variegation. This eventually turns brown and the leaf dies back.

The symptoms were referred to the suppliers who kindly replaced the plants but these seem to be developing the same problem. Does anyone rcognise what this is ?
philj

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby appledore » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:56 pm

It sounds like powdery mildew. It helps if the plants aren't too close together and the air can circulate. It's also better to water the soil and avoid getting the leaves wet. ( I don't know how you can do that if it's raining) :) Remove the affected leaves and apply a fungicide. I hope this helps.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:11 pm

There was mildew, black spot & rust spot on a few things this year. We bought a spray which deals with all those problems and bugs too! I will have a look tomorrow at what it is called and post the name here. I bought it from B&Q and it did the trick with all these problems...phew!
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby philj » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks for your replies ladies but the problem is definitely not mildew as the whitening of the leaves is a milky white like a lack of chlorophyll and I am familiar with this and rust.

The plants are adjacent other types of plants which are not affected either, I wondered if the problem is associated with the stock plants they came from. I did explain the symptoms to the supplier but they did not offer any explanation, just sent me replacements.
philj

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:24 pm

philj wrote:Thanks for your replies ladies but the problem is definitely not mildew as the whitening of the leaves is a milky white like a lack of chlorophyll and I am familiar with this and rust.

The plants are adjacent other types of plants which are not affected either, I wondered if the problem is associated with the stock plants they came from. I did explain the symptoms to the supplier but they did not offer any explanation, just sent me replacements.

http://www.gardenguides.com/108971-caus ... ening.html

I don't know if the above link offers an explanation. I have never seen this problem before in our plants, I wonder if your supplier is growing their plants in the correct conditions? It might be a good idea to buy the same plant from elsewhere and see if the problem occurs again.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:52 pm

It does sound as though it could be a problem at the suppliers. They're often not bothered once they've sent the plants off. We planted a yucca corm and nothing happened. We contacted the supplier, and we didn't even get a reply. Needless to say we didn't buy anything else from them.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:24 pm

We bought some bulbs and were told to plug them in and now they won't turn off. Image :oops: :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby philj » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:42 pm

Thanks for the link to the gardenguides site Will, I am sure the answer is there and I suspect it may be too much water.

The compost I used was one of the water retaining types, perhaps not the right choice for plug plants with little roots and I think Diascias may prefer drier conditions.

I will repot them tomorrow in a more soil based compost which will dry out quicker.
philj

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:27 pm

Hi philj, I hope re-potting them works. I have made a few mistakes this year with planting. So silly I am, I dare not even say what I have done. :oops: Well actually I will, I planted a flower that grows to 3 feet in a flower basket...there I said it. :lol: :oops: :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:34 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Hi philj, I hope re-potting them works. I have made a few mistakes this year with planting. So silly I am, I dare not even say what I have done. :oops: Well actually I will, I planted a flower that grows to 3 feet in a flower basket...there I said it. :lol: :oops: :lol:

Go on.... let's have a photo. :lol: I once planted what were supposed to be dwarf daffodils in a hanging basket, only they were full sized daffs.
They did look funny. I'd planted pansies in the basket too, so I cut the daffodils off before anyone saw them. :oops:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:01 pm

appledore wrote:Go on.... let's have a photo. :lol: I once planted what were supposed to be dwarf daffodils in a hanging basket, only they were full sized daffs.
They did look funny. I'd planted pansies in the basket too, so I cut the daffodils off before anyone saw them. :oops:

:lol: Did I mention they are in a value laundry basket hanging from a 100 foot Leylandii? :lol:

Seriously though, I opened two packets of value bulbs and got one of the triffids mixed up with the geraniums. :oops: I'm not pulling it out, it'll be 'unique!' :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:15 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: :lol: Did I mention they are in a value laundry basket hanging from a 100 foot Leylandii? :lol:

:

I hadn't thought of using a value laundry basket. Think of all the plants you could push through the holes. It would be a bit of a nuisance taking the plants out on washday though.

We cheated this year and bought a hanging basket. It looks better than the ones I plant so we'll probably buy one every year. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:18 pm

appledore wrote:We cheated this year and bought a hanging basket. It looks better than the ones I plant so we'll probably buy one every year. :lol:

Our baskets did really well last year but this year I only planted summer flowers so it was a long wait to see any colour. Why not buy them? They look great and are worth it really, it saves taking them all down and re-planting every year. :)

Wouldn't it be funny to plant a laundry basket full of sunflowers and then put smiley faces on them....cute! :lol: :oops:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:09 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Wouldn't it be funny to plant a laundry basket full of sunflowers and then put smiley faces on them....cute! :lol: :oops:

We could put them where they are facing the neighbours and train them to put their tongues out. :lol:

I like your avatar. It reminds me of little weed. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:19 pm

appledore wrote: We could put them where they are facing the neighbours and train them to put their tongues out. :lol:

Train them to turn their backs to them more like. Unless they have distinctive middle finger leaves. :lol: :lol:

appledore wrote: I like your avatar. It reminds me of little weed. :lol:

:lol: :lol: We've just seen them. Not the cute versions though! :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Gardening