damaged lawn

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

damaged lawn

Postby johnjo » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:18 pm

Hi All

12 months ago i had a new lawn laid, and it looked really well. However this year the lawn has lost its green colour and is a shade of yellow/brown, and is quite patchy in places.

Could someone give me some tips on how to improve it's condition and to why it has gone bad. the garden is very shaded, by the neighbours lovely conifer trees, and a high wall on the other side.

All help would be appreciated

Johnjo
johnjo

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Cytania » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:28 pm

Shade will generally encourage moss and clover which leads to the lawn looking nice and green. So I reckon your lawn may simply be suffering from the droughty summer - it should recover in the current rain.

To keep your lawn in top shape scarify and spike it in the spring and lightly top dress. Avoid scalping it in hot weather - mow little and often.
They cut down all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum and charged all the people just to see 'em
Cytania

Postby johnjo » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:31 pm

Cytania

I am totally oblivious to your definitions could you explain them to a simple idiot like myself

"To keep your lawn in top shape scarify and spike it in the spring and lightly top dress. Avoid scalping it in hot weather - mow little and often."
johnjo

Postby despair » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:22 pm

Lawns develop a thatch of dead grass especially after drought
You need to rake it with a lawn rake to get out the dead grass and moss

If your neighbours conifers are large and have long roots these may be the cause of your problem

Dig the entire boundary and chop off the roots with care not to kill or destabilise the trees (unlikely )
but why not speak to your neighbours and explain the constant shade you experience and ask them to give consideration to reducing the height of the hedge in line with the provisions of the High Hedge Law

see www.hedgeline.org for the BRE heights versus garden width/length /proximity to house tables/guides
despair

Postby madness » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:46 pm

we have recently had Green thumb/local franchise for lawns come out, the cost is about the same for us to by weed killers ect + time although their weed killers are stronger and the results have been great, next door have had them for about a year and they have a lawn to kill for. quotes are free

I am not pushing this service but feel it is value for money for us as we both work full time.
madness

Postby Cytania » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:24 am

Scarify = is the raking Despair mentioned. You can hire machines that do it without so much effort called - scarifiers. Worth it for big lawns.

Spike = lawns get hardened by being walked on. The grass roots want air and one easy way to do this is to prick it all over with a garden fork pogo stick style. Again there are machines you can hire to do this.

Top Dress = sprinkle on sand. This gives the grass a new top soil layer to grow into. You can also work in a bit of fertiliser or moss killer.
They cut down all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum and charged all the people just to see 'em
Cytania

Postby vorlich » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:25 pm

sorry its a bit late with a reply.... i do hope your lawn is looking better.

i am in a similair predicament woth my lawn. it too is just about a year old, and, was lovley for months after it was laid, but recenly there have been large long yellow patchy bits. However, I think i have finally managed to get on top of it. I had been using sprinlkers when it wa dry, and feeding with that weed and feed stuff, but i don't reallt thin it did a lot of good. a few weeks ago i tried the evergreen autumn weed and feed with quite remarkable results, especiallly on the fron lawn wich was really badly damaged. By bakc lawn is very green and lush... am most surprised!! have you tried this autumn feed?? its worth it... well at least it worked for me..... unless it was just all the tender loving care i have given it this year :wink:
VOR
vorlich

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Gardening