Poor flowering Fuchsias

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Poor flowering Fuchsias

Postby philj » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:18 pm

Each year we purchase four or five fuchsias for growing in pots which always do well but we also have two hardy ones permanently planted out which for the last couple of years have not done very well at all. Looking at them today, I can not see a flower on either.

The two plants we have are Genii and Hawkeshead which are pruned hard in Spring and fed with blood fish and bone and occasionaly with a liquid feed until they flower.

I see the likes of Ricartonii in front gardens which never get pruned and yet are covered in flowers even now. Am I just growing the wrong varieties or am I doing something wrong ??
philj

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Poor flowering Fuchsias

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm

philj wrote:Each year we purchase four or five fuchsias for growing in pots which always do well but we also have two hardy ones permanently planted out which for the last couple of years have not done very well at all. Looking at them today, I can not see a flower on either.

The two plants we have are Genii and Hawkeshead which are pruned hard in Spring and fed with blood fish and bone and occasionaly with a liquid feed until they flower.

I see the likes of Ricartonii in front gardens which never get pruned and yet are covered in flowers even now. Am I just growing the wrong varieties or am I doing something wrong ??

I wonder if the severe frosts we had this winter got to them?

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/garden_di ... chsia1.asp

There are pages of useful informaton about fuchsias in this link.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby despair » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:25 am

I found that hardy fuschias get very woody as they age and then do not flower as well

So taking cuttings and making new plants is best bet
Same thing occurs with honeysuckles etc
despair

Postby philj » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks for your comments.

I bought the plants no longer than five years ago and they do get hard pruned each year. Perhaps I will try them for another year and then replace them if necessary.

I was wondering about the last frost Wil,l as I remember thinking I had lost both of the plants last Spring, but they did sprout eventually.

Let's hope the coming Winter is a bit milder.
philj

Postby luwasa » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:50 am

Fuchsia plants really has a stunning beauty.
My friend gave me one of that and I definitely love it. From that day I keep on collecting fuchsia plants.
luwasa

Postby appledore » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:35 pm

Our fuchsias flower well. We don't prune them hard, we just cut off the straggly bits. I think they thrive on neglect. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby philj » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:25 pm

I bought a nice plant of var Genii the other day so I have replaced the older one and planted it a bit deeper than usual.

I also purchased a little book on hardy Fuchsias which recommended planting them up to 100mm deeper than soil level to give the shallow roots some winter protection.

It may be a bit early yet but I think the winter has killed off all the new (supposedly hardy) Penstemons I planted last year.

The shrubby Sages are very attractive and I would like to grow some of those but I am not sure how hardy they are in the North West. I planted my second "Hot Lips" last year and am hoping that it will reappear soon. Can you recommend any that are successful.
philj

Postby Conveyancer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:57 pm

philj wrote:...and fed with blood fish and bone and occasionaly with a liquid feed until they flower.

I think that may be the problem. If you use fertiliser on fuchsias before they flower it encourages leaf growth at the expense of flowers - at least that is what I once read.
If you have benefited from advice on this site please consider contributing to a cancer charity.
Conveyancer

Postby philj » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:51 pm

It's a change to hear from you in the garden, Conveyancer.

The literature recommends a well balanced fertiliser, not just for flowers but also to stimulate root growth to produce a healthy plant.

Having said that, my initial post does comment on plants which are not pruned (and probably not fed) and seem to do well each year. Although Fuchsias will only flower on the current year's growth so flowering on an unpruned bush may be restricted to the top of the plant.
philj

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Gardening