Cleaning decking

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Cleaning decking

Postby juliet » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi. My decking is slimy and slippery at the moment. Looking very green! Whats the best way to clean?

Web talks about using oxalic acid or vinegar? Has anyone ever tried these or has experience of something better? I have used normal bleach before, which worked a treat, but I know that it is really bad for the wood.

Thanks
juliet

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Cleaning decking

Postby Mattylad » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:56 pm

washing powder also works well so I'm told.

I get decking cleaner from Wilkinsons, works well too.
Any comments I give here are my own opinions, for legal advise check with a qualified solicitor.
Mattylad

Postby juliet » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks Mattylad. I think that I will have a go with washing powder. I'll let you know how I get on.
juliet

Postby Mattylad » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Try it with a little bit first.

It may also be a lot cheaper to get the proper stuff from Wilkinsons etc.

Especially with the cost of Daz these days :D
Any comments I give here are my own opinions, for legal advise check with a qualified solicitor.
Mattylad

Postby juliet » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:34 pm

Mattylad, I got myself to Wilkinsons but they didn't have any of their own make deck cleaner. They had some Patio Magic though - £7.50. You mix up and saturate the deck then it works over the next few weeks apparently. So I did that earlier today. I will let you know what happens!

Also bought a couple of boxes of their value washing powder just in case.....
juliet

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:51 pm

Patio magic does work, I used it last year and it removed all green from our paving. It works well on decking too. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:37 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Patio magic does work, I used it last year and it removed all green from our paving. It works well on decking too. :)

We've used it too, and it does work. We used it on the patio. It takes time to work, and then suddenly everything is clean and so bright you have to wear sunglasses. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:54 pm

appledore wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Patio magic does work, I used it last year and it removed all green from our paving. It works well on decking too. :)

We've used it too, and it does work. We used it on the patio. It takes time to work, and then suddenly everything is clean and so bright you have to wear sunglasses. :)

Teeheeeeee I remember you telling me about the stuff and I was waiting to see if it worked for you. I found that it takes a while to see the difference too. :D

It beats pressure washing for hours on end and having a pond like garden. I used to come in covered in splashes or dirt from pressure washing and just jump in the shower to thaw out. I literally did it for hours without stopping and froze as I did in February. :lol:

I kind of wait until April now, lots to do but the slightly less ice makes it all much easier. :oops:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi Will. Pressure washing is horrible and messy. It might get the patio and paths clean, but it doesn't do much for whoever is doing it. I hate being dirty and wet. We ran out of Patio Magic when we used it last year, and there was a definite line where we'd finished. We'll definitely use it again this year. Everything is messy at this time of year. Yuk.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:24 pm

appledore wrote:Hi Will. Pressure washing is horrible and messy. It might get the patio and paths clean, but it doesn't do much for whoever is doing it. I hate being dirty and wet. We ran out of Patio Magic when we used it last year, and there was a definite line where we'd finished. We'll definitely use it again this year. Everything is messy at this time of year. Yuk.

Hi apples. Our garden is a mess this time of year, lots of frost bitten pants and green messy patio. It'll all look nice again once we spruce in spring. :) This winter has been quite harsh so some re-planting needs doing here and there. Although I have seen lots of buds coming out in the last week, I hope we don't get any more frosts.

Has your garden suffered at all this winter apples? It got down to -10 here, the folks got -18 Oh that's cold! :o
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby juliet » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:21 pm

Well I am looking forward to a nice clean deck! Been dark when going to work and dark coming home so will need to wait til Saturday to see if working.

We had it quite cold. I think minus 10 was about our worse. It killed the three potted cordylines that I had. I had even pulled them right next to the house. Anyway after browsing the tinternet, I cut them right down and there is, supposedly, a chance that they will grow back. Find that hard to believe at the moment mind :lol:
juliet

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:56 am

juliet wrote:Well I am looking forward to a nice clean deck! Been dark when going to work and dark coming home so will need to wait til Saturday to see if working.

We had it quite cold. I think minus 10 was about our worse. It killed the three potted cordylines that I had. I had even pulled them right next to the house. Anyway after browsing the tinternet, I cut them right down and there is, supposedly, a chance that they will grow back. Find that hard to believe at the moment mind :lol:

Hi juliet. The patio magic can take quite a while, after a few rains and a bit of sun, it all starts to look better.

We have lost the odd cordyline over the years, they will sprout from the bottom when cut back, we have thrown them away because we feel they are too susceptible to frost. But I have seen some awfully dead cordylines in peoples gardens and then by summer after they have been cut back, there are new heads popping up and they can look nice again. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:36 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[Has your garden suffered at all this winter apples? It got down to -10 here, the folks got -18 Oh that's cold! :o

We've lost quite a few plants Will. We bought a new cordyline in the summer, but that's gone. We'd tied the leaves together, but they just came off in my hand. The base was slimy. We lost one last winter too, so we're not going to buy any more. We'll try something that's a bit more hardy. Quite a large conifer died too. Two bamboos look like they've had it too. There's lots of buds though, the potentillas are covered, so Spring must be on the way. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby appledore » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:40 pm

juliet wrote:Well I am looking forward to a nice clean deck! Been dark when going to work and dark coming home so will need to wait til Saturday to see if working.

Hi Juliet. As Will says it takes some time for the Patio Magic to work. You've almost given up hope, and then suddenly everything is clean and bright. :) We've given up on cordylines now.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:25 pm

appledore wrote: There's lots of buds though, the potentillas are covered, so Spring must be on the way. :)

I think spring is on its way, I can feel it in my springs. :lol: This morning we bounced out of bed even though it is raining, and we saw that a few snow drops are popping up in some pots. :D It'll snow now we have mentioned spring. :mrgreen:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Gardening