Cleaning decking

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Re: Cleaning decking

Postby Myra Hush » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:50 pm

A deck is an elevated surface that some homeowners have in their yards.

Remove all furniture and large debris,Sweep the deck, Remove debris stuck between the slats, Rinse the deck using a hose.
Myra Hush

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Fat lot of use that advice is when much of the country is subject to a hosepipe ban ..............funny that its rained every day since the ban was implemented
despair

Postby FrTed » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Mattylad wrote:washing powder also works well so I'm told.

I use Asda Smart Price Biological washing powder, sprinkle on the deck when dry (as it clumps when wet) wet with a watering can with a rose and scrub with a stiff yard brush. Rinse off or let the rain do it if you are in for a downpour and your wood will be lovely and clean. I do mine each spring and it lasts all year until it gets miserable in the winter. I also use this method for cleaning the drive too.
"No Dougal, these cows are SMALL, those cows are FAR AWAY"
FrTed

Postby Mattylad » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:54 pm

I shall have my decking to do quite soon - I will wake up to be told that this is what I am doing lol.

First time I was on my hands & knees with a scrubbing brush.
This time I'll just use a stiff broom and a pressure washer.
Mattylad

Postby appledore » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:14 pm

Nothing to do with decking :oops: , but we've found that a plastic snow scoop is good for removing moss from block paving.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:14 pm

appledore wrote:Nothing to do with decking :oops: , but we've found that a plastic snow scoop is good for removing moss from block paving.

We used the magic this year to clean our deck and patio, it worked a treat. I remember you trying it years ago apples, and I couldn't wait to hear if it worked. We have now used it for a few things and it really does work. :)

Is a snow scoop for ice cream? :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:00 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Is a snow scoop for ice cream? :wink:

Hi Will. Yes, the snow scoop is for icecream, but you'd need a big cornet. :wink:

We were talking about patio magic today, and saying we would have to get a couple of bottles. There seems to be a long gap between talking about things, and actually doing them these days. :lol: We used it last year, but it didn't kill the moss, so we attacked it with the snow scoop. The magic does clean the block paving though.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:22 am

appledore wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Is a snow scoop for ice cream? :wink:

Hi Will. Yes, the snow scoop is for icecream, but you'd need a big cornet. :wink:

We were talking about patio magic today, and saying we would have to get a couple of bottles. There seems to be a long gap between talking about things, and actually doing them these days. :lol: We used it last year, but it didn't kill the moss, so we attacked it with the snow scoop. The magic does clean the block paving though.

I know what you mean, talking about doing something and then putting it into practice takes a while! We had a list of jobs a mile long at the beginning of this year, I whizzed through a lot of it and we are down to the same two jobs which were on our list of things to do last year. :oops: I'm very good at getting things done, but hubby has to help me with some things and those are the jobs that get put off. Or should I say, I help hubby by holding stuff, some jobs I just can't do full stop. :lol:

That big cornet sounds good, ice creams never come in big enough scoops! :mrgreen:

We didn't realise that you can use patio magic on most outdoor stuff, like wood that has turned green. It is very useful, saves scrubbing at things for hours and taking paint off. Just brush patio magic on and the green disappears...great stuff! :)

We are waiting to have a nice bbq, but the weather is a bit hit and miss lately. We took a nice picnic out with us the other weekend for one of our long walks and we ended up eating it in the car. Although we have had many a picnic in the car. :lol: :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:15 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:

We didn't realise that you can use patio magic on most outdoor stuff, like wood that has turned green. It is very useful, saves scrubbing at things for hours and taking paint off. Just brush patio magic on and the green disappears...great stuff! :)

We are waiting to have a nice bbq, but the weather is a bit hit and miss lately. We took a nice picnic out with us the other weekend for one of our long walks and we ended up eating it in the car. Although we have had many a picnic in the car. :lol: :wink:

That's interesting about using patio magic on green wood. We have some fencing that needs staining, but has gone green. Hubby was going to scrub it (when he got round to it :lol:) before he stained it. I'll tell him about the patio magic. In fact I'll stand over him with a whip while he does it.

I like picnics in the car, it's nice and cosy. Some roads near us are closed because of flooding today. It would help if some of the drains were cleaned out. :roll:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:54 am

appledore wrote:That's interesting about using patio magic on green wood. We have some fencing that needs staining, but has gone green. Hubby was going to scrub it (when he got round to it :lol:) before he stained it. I'll tell him about the patio magic. In fact I'll stand over him with a whip while he does it.

I like picnics in the car, it's nice and cosy. Some roads near us are closed because of flooding today. It would help if some of the drains were cleaned out. :roll:

:lol: :lol: Don't forget spike heeled boots if you are going to stand there with a whip, your hubby will get no work done, his eyes will be on stalks. :wink:

Seriously though, the patio magic will clean the fence ready for staining.

Car picnics are lovely, we have been having car picnics since we met. We have a lot of days out to the lakes and the dales for walks or exploring caves, and it almost always rains or is too cold to sit outside. So we sit in the car facing an amazing view all warm and cozy. I think car picnics are fab!

If your roads are flooding you will have to build a raft to get around, it'll almost look like you are on a magic carpet. :lol:

It has rained a lot lately, the other day our cat came home with a swimming cap and arm bands...I didn't ask...his face said it all. :lol: http://killmydaynow.com/wp-content/uplo ... ats_29.jpg
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:25 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: :lol: :lol: Don't forget spike heeled boots if you are going to stand there with a whip, your hubby will get no work done, his eyes will be on stalks. :wink:

Seriously though, the patio magic will clean the fence ready for staining.

Car picnics are lovely, we have been having car picnics since we met. We have a lot of days out to the lakes and the dales for walks or exploring caves, and it almost always rains or is too cold to sit outside. So we sit in the car facing an amazing view all warm and cozy. I think car picnics are fab!

If your roads are flooding you will have to build a raft to get around, it'll almost look like you are on a magic carpet. :lol:

It has rained a lot lately, the other day our cat came home with a swimming cap and arm bands...I didn't ask...his face said it all. :lol: http://killmydaynow.com/wp-content/uplo ... ats_29.jpg

I could clean the moss out from between the block paving with spike heeled boots while hubby magiced the fence. :wink: :loI

Do the car windows steam up when you have your car picnics? It'll be the steam from your cups of tea. :lol:

You'll have to get Mr. Puss a katamaran. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:58 pm

appledore wrote:I could clean the moss out from between the block paving with spike heeled boots while hubby magiced the fence. :wink: :loI

Do the car windows steam up when you have your car picnics? It'll be the steam from your cups of tea. :lol:

You'll have to get Mr. Puss a katamaran. :)

Ahhh that's a good idea, spike heels for paving, I must tell hubby about that...he'll rush to sort our paving out. :lol:

We do steam up the windows, no tea involved. 8)

:lol: Mr. Puss is spoilt enough, if I buy him a katamaran, he'll then demand a large region of Spain. :mrgreen: I'll give him a titbit and a big cuddle when he comes in soaked. :)

Lovely day today, we shopped till we dropped and ate giant american style burgers. Did you have good weather and do anything nice?
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:46 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Lovely day today, we shopped till we dropped and ate giant american style burgers. Did you have good weather and do anything nice?

We had a lovely day yesterday, not doing anything special, just nice. Your burgers would be tasty, we're a couple of silly burgers. :lol: It's rained all day today, we were going to do some gardening. :( I saw a hedgehog in the garden this afternoon so I took some photos to show our little granddaughter. The hedgehog mustn't have liked being photographed as he did a big doddle right outside the door. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:58 am

appledore wrote: I saw a hedgehog in the garden this afternoon so I took some photos to show our little granddaughter. The hedgehog mustn't have liked being photographed as he did a big doddle right outside the door. :lol:

:lol: We get many hedgehogs coming in to the garden, I feed them so they are on to a good thing. And like birds, they leave me presents. Today is a large bit of poop which must have been sat in or came out a little soft. Oh what a mess they leave me, but I get such joy from seeing them in the garden.

All this bird and now hedgehog feeding, it is really costing us a fortune! :lol: I cooked a roast dinner last Tuesday and deliberately picked a joint which had a lot of fat, so I could give hedgy some. :oops:

Awww we did see a baby with an adult hedgehog one night…sooooo sweet! You can't get miffed at a little poop when you get to see these wonderful creatures in your garden. :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:44 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote::lol: We get many hedgehogs coming in to the garden, I feed them so they are on to a good thing. And like birds, they leave me presents. Today is a large bit of poop which must have been sat in or came out a little soft. Oh what a mess they leave me, but I get such joy from seeing them in the garden.

D

The hedgehog poop was a bit on the soft side, probably from eating too much fat from someone's joint :wink: It costs us a fortune too for cat food (we have another little cat coming now, and he's beautiful) and nuts for the birds. It's worth it though :D
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Gardening