Bamboo looks dead

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Bamboo looks dead

Postby appledore » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:20 pm

We have two bamboos in pots on the patio. They've turned brown and the leaves are starting to fall off. I was wondering if there's any chance that they'll recover. Is it best to leave them and see what happens, or cut them down?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Bamboo looks dead

Postby despair » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Sounds rather like they have got too dry

But may simply be frost damage ..............wait a few weeks and see if new shoots are apearring or remove from pot and plant in the ground ..............you should be able to see healthy rhizomes when you remove them from the pots
despair

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:23 pm

appledore wrote:We have two bamboos in pots on the patio. They've turned brown and the leaves are starting to fall off. I was wondering if there's any chance that they'll recover. Is it best to leave them and see what happens, or cut them down?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If the leaves have dried out it could be that they haven't had enough water or they have got dried out with frosty winds. Winter will stress them but come summer in the renewal period they should be fine as long as they have plenty of water and some feed. :)

You can always kill Jack Frost or Jill Frump when you find him/her if they don't recover. :lol: :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks despair and will. I think it's the cold wind and frost that's done the damage. They're quite tall plants with big leaves (they did have big leaves until they dropped off). :) We have another bamboo that's much smaller and bushy with small leaves, and that one's fine. A large laurel has just given up the ghost, we've lost all sorts. There'll be a few trips to the garden centre when the weather picks up.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:02 pm

appledore wrote:Thanks despair and will. I think it's the cold wind and frost that's done the damage. They're quite tall plants with big leaves (they did have big leaves until they dropped off). :) We have another bamboo that's much smaller and bushy with small leaves, and that one's fine. A large laurel has just given up the ghost, we've lost all sorts. There'll be a few trips to the garden centre when the weather picks up.

I though Laurel was Hardy? :lol: Awww this winter has been a little harsh, gardne centres across the country will be upping their prices and rubbing their hands with glee.

We have a heavenly bamboo 'Nandina Domestica' it isn't a real bamboo but looks great once summer gets going. It loses heaps of branches and leaves in winter, looks even worse in spring, then grows back again in summer. :)

I'm soooo looking forward to getting in to the garden again, when March comes and some sunshine, I'll be out there with my value bucket as seat, holding a cocktail umbrolly in case we get a small shower. :lol:

What do you do in the garden first apples? :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:49 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[What do you do in the garden first apples? :)

Hi Will. I usually cut off all the straggly brown leaves that have fallen over that I can see from the window. I've had my eye on them all through the winter. Then I like to weed the flower beds before the daffodils start to flower. It's my little routine. (I'm only funny). If you didn't know already :lol: . Nandina Domestica (heavenly bamboo) looks good, we'll look out for that.

We have a hanging basket by the back door. I always plant it up with pansies and bulbs for the winter and spring, and it looks lovely, but it looked a mess this year so we bought half a dozen blue and yellow pansies at the weekend to perk it up.

I'm thinking of getting a new value bucket this year. One with more holes. :) I think a matching umbrolly would look good too,

What do you do first in the garden? :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:21 am

appledore wrote: I'm thinking of getting a new value bucket this year. One with more holes. :) I think a matching umbrolly would look good too,

Yes, yes, yes, do that! I'll get a new one too with matching umbrolly in sky blue with multi-coloured stripes and polka dots! :D

appledore wrote: What do you do first in the garden? :)

The first things I do is a lot of sanding, painting and cleaning. I then re-plant any dead things or plants I have got bored with. I have been very lucky the last couple of years, the two plants I absolutely hated in the garden died, whoop! I get to put something in their place, which I much prefer. :lol:

I don't tend to plant flowers till April, a lot of stuff pops up from the year before, also I'm not good at spotting what is a weed or what is a flower until it is too late. :oops: Last summer we had weeds in hanging baskets for a while and sun flowers in pots because of all the bird feeding, I would have pulled them out sooner if I had known how big they would grow...taller than hubby who is 6'6. :lol: This year if I spot sun flowers, they're going in the bin. :|

Do you know apples, it costs more to feed birds than the spoilt cat! I hope those birdies appreciate it. :wink:

Do you do a lot of bird feeding? :) I like making food for them, but it gets very messy!!! :shock:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi Will. Which plants didn't you like? We have some plants with yellow flowers, and I don't like them. Hubby likes them, but I pull them out when he's not looking. :lol: I've seen them in the garden centre, and I can't understand anyone buying them. They spread like mad. We buy our bedding plants about the end of May.

I have a full time job feeding the birds, they're quite tame. Do you make fat balls? Sounds rude doesn't it? :oops: :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:12 pm

appledore wrote:Hi Will. Which plants didn't you like? We have some plants with yellow flowers, and I don't like them. Hubby likes them, but I pull them out when he's not looking. :lol: I've seen them in the garden centre, and I can't understand anyone buying them. They spread like mad. We buy our bedding plants about the end of May.

I have a full time job feeding the birds, they're quite tame. Do you make fat balls? Sounds rude doesn't it? :oops: :lol:

We had something which had little orange flowers, no idea what it was though, it was left here by the previous owner. That died, along with a few Cordylines over the years. I don't like palm trees and palm plants, so cordylines I have gone right off because they don't like frost and they look like a palm. :lol:

I make fat balls, they look rude too! :lol: :wink: We get a black bird which comes close to the kitchen window or hops on to the deck to ask for food, he just stares you out until you give in. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:21 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[We had something which had little orange flowers, no idea what it was though, it was left here by the previous owner. That died, along with a few Cordylines over the years. I don't like palm trees and palm plants, so cordylines I have gone right off because they don't like frost and they look like a palm. :lol:

I make fat balls, they look rude too! :lol: :wink: We get a black bird which comes close to the kitchen window or hops on to the deck to ask for food, he just stares you out until you give in. :lol:

I've gone off cordylines too. They're not much good if they don't survive the frost. I suppose you could wrap them up in fleece, and they'd look like ghosts, and frighten you to death when you open the curtains in the morning. :shock:

We have a chatter of sparrows that live in a bush, and when they see me looking out of the window they say 'there's that funny woman who feeds us', and they fly round in front of the window saying 'hurry up with the grub'. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:28 pm

appledore wrote:I've gone off cordylines too. They're not much good if they don't survive the frost. I suppose you could wrap them up in fleece, and they'd look like ghosts, and frighten you to death when you open the curtains in the morning. :shock:

We have a chatter of sparrows that live in a bush, and when they see me looking out of the window they say 'there's that funny woman who feeds us', and they fly round in front of the window saying 'hurry up with the grub'. :lol:

We used to wrap a few things up in winter, now we are getting rid of what isn't too hardy and leaving things to chance. Yes they do look like ghosts, teehee I used to also think they looked like too many spiders were setting up home...even more scary! :shock:

Birds are funny, I watch them squabble sometimes to get to feeders. They go around in circles fighting for their turn. :lol: The starlings make me laugh the most, it isn't unusual to see the odd one hang up-side-down trying to get food. They are the clowns of the bird world. I absolutely love feeding birds, I never tire of seeing them enjoy their grub. :D

Our cat doesn't see it that way though! He chases after them jingling like a morris dancer who's eaten too many pies and comes back looking very miffed when they escape. :lol: Some pigeons eat whilst he is sat in the garden, they know he is slow.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Gardening