Garden tip Christmas trees

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Garden tip Christmas trees

Postby jasminemark » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Christmas trees sold with roots on it can be plant in the garden after Christmas. Keep in mind following tips: buy a tree which have good roots and is planted in a large container; let the tree acclimatize a week in a cold place before you bring it in the house; do not cut the top of the tree; give the tree water daily on the roots; do not keep the tree to long inside the house; let it acclimatize before going to the garden. After planting the tree in the garden give it water frequently to prevent drying out during winter time.
jasminemark

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Garden tip Christmas trees

Postby EttaT » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:40 pm

I don't think I've ever seen Christmas trees with their roots intact. It seems most places cut the roots off so the trunk can sit nicely in the stand for Christmas. I think it would be great if people would not cut the roots an replant the trees after Christmas.
EttaT

Postby appledore » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:45 pm

I've seen small Christmas trees in pots in garden centres, but I haven't tried planting one in the garden.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:36 pm

appledore wrote:I've seen small Christmas trees in pots in garden centres, but I haven't tried planting one in the garden.

We planted a Christmas tree in our garden and it went all weird. :? First it looked great, but never grew any taller or thicker, then it began to lose its colour and faded to a very pale sage green. For some reason the lights stopped working but the tree is still ok, it isn't green anymore, more like grey/pale brown. Rain doesn't seem to clean it as well as it does other trees in the garden and it kind of looks like there is rust coming out of the branches and tree trunk? I just can't think what is wrong with it at all. :mrgreen:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:47 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[We planted a Christmas tree in our garden and it went all weird. :? First it looked great, but never grew any taller or thicker, then it began to lose its colour and faded to a very pale sage green. For some reason the lights stopped working but the tree is still ok, it isn't green anymore, more like grey/pale brown. Rain doesn't seem to clean it as well as it does other trees in the garden and it kind of looks like there is rust coming out of the branches and tree trunk? I just can't think what is wrong with it at all. :mrgreen:

Will, Is it still plugged into the electric? That could be the problem. It maybe needs some Miracle- of -Christmas -Gro.
The three wise men - Alan Titchmasrsh, Monty Don and Toby Buckland could probably help. I hope you took it out of the value bucket before you planted it. I hope it improves before next Christmas, it would be awful if you had to buy another one. :mrgreen:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:37 am

appledore wrote:Will, Is it still plugged into the electric? That could be the problem. It maybe needs some Miracle- of -Christmas -Gro.
The three wise men - Alan Titchmasrsh, Monty Don and Toby Buckland could probably help. I hope you took it out of the value bucket before you planted it. I hope it improves before next Christmas, it would be awful if you had to buy another one. :mrgreen:

:lol:

Hi apples. We didn't unplug the lights, we left them on. We tried miracle-of-xmas-grow but it didn't work, not enough pixie dust of something. Then the three wise men tried to resuscitate the tree with chanting, holding hands and singing ring a ring o roses...that killed our roses...the three little shits! :x So I buried them alive in the rose bed and planted Pansies around their head stones, which are just 3 rock lights really.

So back to the problem with our Christmas tree. We did remove from the KFC value bucket we had wrapped in xmas wrapping paper before planting, although I seem to remember the roots were very few and were extremely hard. It was almost like you could stand the tree on its roots! :? Anyway we will spray paint it and eat another value bucket meal before it needs to come in to the house for this Christmas, it is just a shame it won't grow. I still haven't worked out why. :mrgreen:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:56 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:

So back to the problem with our Christmas tree. We did remove from the KFC value bucket we had wrapped in xmas wrapping paper before planting, although I seem to remember the roots were very few and were extremely hard. It was almost like you could stand the tree on its roots! :? Anyway we will spray paint it and eat another value bucket meal before it needs to come in to the house for this Christmas, it is just a shame it won't grow. I still haven't worked out why. :mrgreen:

It would be the batter from the KFC making the roots stiff. Did it have little red blobs on the end of the branches? That would be the tomato ketchup. At least you'll have a good excuse to buy another KFC value bucket. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:05 pm

appledore wrote: It would be the batter from the KFC making the roots stiff.

Could be. :idea: It could explain the plastic like feel of the roots.

appledore wrote:Did it have little red blobs on the end of the branches? That would be the tomato ketchup. At least you'll have a good excuse to buy another KFC value bucket. :)

It does have little red blobs on it now, I had to whack the 3 rose killers on the heads with my value spade, it was to get them to jump in the hole I had dug for them. :wink: :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Gardening