suffering newly laid turf

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

suffering newly laid turf

Postby t0m » Wed May 18, 2011 2:58 pm

Hello to everyone first of all as I'm new to the forum! sounds like there are many very interesting topics and I love gardening..
I have a problem with the new turf I laid about a week a go and I hope you can help me finding the solution.

basically when I received the rolls they were a bit yellow on the edges but generally well green in the center. I though it was normal to have a bit of yellow on the edges anyway.

now that is laid down, one side of the lawn is very green and already growing, the other side is not growing and turning (very worryingly!) yellow in patches... :( :(
now the only reason I can think of is that the healthier side is more shadowed by trees and the shed.. while the suffering area has more sunlight. So I thought Im not giving enough water.. could that be the reason? I cant really figure if im giving it the right amount? and how quickly it should be able to see the improvements if Im giving the right amount? I doubled the amount of water to the following : 2x 45min , one at 7:30 am and one at 19:00. the hose has a decent pressure and the horizontal sprinkler I use covers the entire suffering part and more. Would that be enough you recon? as I started with this new plan 2 days ago, when should I see the turf turning green again like the rest of the lawn?
Thanks Im happy to give more info/pics etc.
Many thanks in advance for any hints!
Tom
t0m

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: suffering newly laid turf

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed May 18, 2011 5:39 pm

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... 38545.aspx

This link might be helpful to you. I don't know much about grass so can't advise from experience. Others will be along soon I'm sure with more advice. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby t0m » Thu May 19, 2011 10:11 am

Hey , thanks for your reply. some of the suggestions are useful in that page. i would like to have some hints on how to recover from having yellow patches in a new turf...how much water do i need to give? does it need to be always dump the soil underneath throughout the day? questions like that ... thanks
t0m

Postby EttaT » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:37 pm

Since you can't necessarily control the sun exposure, it does sound like watering is what the grass needs. If the grass that is turning yellow is getting a lot of the sun exposure, it could be drying out and as you've realized, needs more watering. I would water in the morning or at night so the grass has plently of water throughout the day. You may want to also quickly during the afternoon to refresh the grass if it is hot and sunny.
EttaT

Postby t0m » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi Etta Thanks. its a bit controversial the time when its best watering. however i watered for about two weeks at 7 am and 7pm both for 45 mins, and now looks much better. yellow patches are practically gone and looks very healthy. another thing I ve done is giving a powder to reinforce the roots before watering. not sure which one helped more.
i can give more info if anyone is interested.
thanks
tom
t0m

Postby catail » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:28 pm

I agree that since you can't control the sun, then it needs to be watered. Glad that the yellow patches are gone!
catail

Return to Gardening