Whats wrong with my Rock Rose?

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Whats wrong with my Rock Rose?

Postby juliet » Fri May 20, 2011 6:02 pm

I don't suppose any know what is wrong with my Rock Roses as googling hasn't helped. I bought small Halimiocistus Rock Roses - 6 in all - and they seem to be dying from the centre outwards? I had these previously but dug up leggy ones and replaced them a few weeks ago so I don't think that it is the location and I have been watering although it has been quite dry?
juliet

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Whats wrong with my Rock Rose?

Postby appledore » Fri May 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Hi Juliet. Do you think you could be overwatering? They like dry soil.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby juliet » Fri May 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Wonder if I am? And I have just been out and watered them again - thinking that it is dryness? We have had hardly any rain mind and the soil is dry as a bone. I think that maybe I will leave them alone for a while and see what happens? :)
juliet

Postby appledore » Fri May 20, 2011 6:40 pm

juliet wrote:Wonder if I am? And I have just been out and watered them again - thinking that it is dryness? We have had hardly any rain mind and the soil is dry as a bone. I think that maybe I will leave them alone for a while and see what happens? :)

They may thrive on neglect. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby juliet » Sat May 21, 2011 12:34 pm

I hope so :lol:
juliet

Postby EttaT » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:44 pm

How often are you watering it? It is odd that they are dying from the inside out as usually plants die starting with their leaves and slowly dry up and die. Could it be the soil? Perhaps the pH of the soil is off.
EttaT

Postby juliet » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Sorry I never noticed your reply. Not sure about the soil - it is a clay soil.

I recently dug them up and moved them. I noticed that they hadn't rooted and the root ball was the same size as the pot that I had taken them out of. Anyway I have re-planted and they are still hanging on but certainly not thriving!
juliet

Postby arborlad » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:32 pm

juliet wrote: I noticed that they hadn't rooted and the root ball was the same size as the pot that I had taken them out of. !

Sometimes you have to gently teaze some of the roots to face outwards.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Geometer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:51 pm

Halimiocistus likes sandy well-drained soil, so if you've planted them in holes dug into clay soil, perhaps the water isn't draining and the roots are getting waterlogged?
Geometer

Postby juliet » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks - it probably a combination of not teasing the roots out and sticking them in a clay soil!
juliet

Postby appledore » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi Juliet. A gravel mulch round the plants might help as it'll help to keep the leaves dry. I hope they survive the winter. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby juliet » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:28 pm

I will try that and lets hope they survive!

I dug the whole front garden up this year and started from scratch. I think that I am trying to achieve a cottage garden effect but then I only have a narrow border. Then things that are supposed to grow high at the back aren't moving much and stuff at the front gets bigger than I expected. I am only fairly new to gardening mind! I tried to do colours that fade into each other - whites, to yellows, to oranges, to pinks, purples to reds and back to whites again. A couple of blues here and there so it doesn't look too staged. I suppose only God knows what it is going to look like when it all grows :lol: if it does that is!

You see these gorgeous cottage gardens (got a gardeners world subscription for my birthday) and then you think you are doing Ok but every now and then I wonder whether I am anywhere near!

Then at the back of the house I did the same but I left 3 cherry laurels in. Just finished digging up philadelpus, forsythia, spiriae? pink rock roses and white lilac and something else pink today and now ache all over :lol: I am aiming for a gothic garden at the back. Got loads of gargoyles and gothicy stuff off ebay. So today I planted a red type ivy thing up a gothic style trellis and a wistera. I think that I get the vision in my head but then it never seems to look like I imagined! Mind the back of the house is serious clay - clumps that you could make pots out of! - and in the shade but the laurels have done great in it. (which is why I looked at them and thought - you can stay as you are far too big! And I suppose laurels are gothic like?)

I am quite enjoying gardening but not the hard diggy bits mind! :)
juliet

Postby juliet » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:31 pm

Just realised that I should have gone - white, yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, blue then white.......oh heck
juliet

Postby Geometer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:35 pm

appledore wrote:Hi Juliet. A gravel mulch round the plants might help as it'll help to keep the leaves dry. I hope they survive the winter. :)

I'd be inclined to use an organic mulch - compost/leaf mould/or even bark chippings - to get some worm action going.

juliet, if you're on clay soil I think you may need to prepare your beds more thoroughly, to improve drainage. Dig in plenty of organic material (well-rotted horse manure is good), and maybe some sand or grit. Either that, or choose plants more suited to your conditions.

I can recommend this book:"Right Plant, Right Place" by Nicola Ferguson (available second hand from Amazon for 1p !)
Geometer

Postby appledore » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:58 pm

I'm sure your garden will look lovely. You can always swap things round if they're not in the right place. That's what I do, I'm for ever moving things around. :lol: I like the sound of your gothic garden, it's something a bit different. We have a gargoyle living next door, you can have him if you want. :lol:

We've been moving some forsythia, escallonia and firethorn to try and hide a fence. They look a bit feeble, but I think they'll grow ok.

I enjoy gardening too, but get hubby roped in to do the digging. I'm a good supervisor. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Gardening