Snails

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Snails

Postby lucky horseshoe » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:44 pm

I am lving in rented house, and decided this year i would start a patio garden. I have grow bags and pots with tomato, lettue,basil, chives, mint, raddish, carrot, dwarf beans, and strawberries.

The greedy snails in my garden come out at night and have eaten just about everything apart from the strawberries and tomatoes. (clearly they dont like the red fruits!!!)

Someone told me put salt round the rim and i did, its not worked. The only thing thats worked is bringing the pots up onto the table. which had worked i assume snails dont like heights!!! But my table isnt all that big, so the beans and herbs have had to be eaten. All im left with is the stubs of plants and soil!!

Anyone else got any tips on how to prevent these snails from eating my crops.

Many thanks x
lucky horseshoe

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Snails

Postby Rowan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:17 pm

Copper tape around the pots

Broken up eggshells - they don't like the sharp edges

Stand pots in very wide water containers, with ciggie ends in the water

Do a 'snail patrol' with a torch every night, stand on them or pick them up into a bucket and take a long distance away and release in a wild area

Set saucers of beer in the soil - they drown happy!

Salt works if you sprinkle the actual snail (or slug) - it's a rather messy end
Rowan

Postby Geometer » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:35 am

I'm in a very similar situation, with an almost identical range of plants :) . I find that smearing the rims of pots with vaseline, a strip about an inch wide, keeps slugs at bay. Make sure nothing bridges the strip, and make sure there are no slugs hiding in the plants themselves.
Geometer

Postby Totaly Amazed » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:28 am

Hi,
Snails sure do climb, we once filmed them through the night and there were dozens of them climbing high up on neighbours wall.
Totaly Amazed

Postby appledore » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:26 pm

Rowan wrote:Do a 'snail patrol' with a torch every night, stand on them or pick them up into a bucket and take a long distance away and release in a wild area

Or tip them over the fence into your neighbour's garden. :wink:

I saw a huge toad in our garden the other day, they eat snails. I don't know which I dislike the most.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby Uriah Heap » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:47 am

appledore wrote:
Or tip them over the fence into your neighbour's garden. :wink:

I saw a huge toad in our garden the other day, they eat snails. I don't know which I dislike the most.

The toad or your neighbours?
Uriah Heap

Postby despair » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:48 pm

Hedgehogs love snails

Gather them up and put in a jar wirth a lid just on enough it can be prised off by a hedgehog

The hedgehog will love you for it and deal with other garden pests too
despair

Postby appledore » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:34 pm

Uriah Heap wrote:[The toad or your neighbours?

Definitely the neighbours. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby juliet » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Someone told me that Snails had homing instincts and so if you remove them elsewhere, they just come back :lol:
juliet

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Gardening