Ladybirds

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Ladybirds

Postby Rambling Rose » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Can anyone suggest plants to attract more ladybirds into my garden this Spring/Summer? I have bought a winter nesting box for them and I am hoping to have some residents next winter! :D
Rambling Rose
Rambling Rose

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Ladybirds

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Rambling Rose wrote:Can anyone suggest plants to attract more ladybirds into my garden this Spring/Summer? I have bought a winter nesting box for them and I am hoping to have some residents next winter! :D

I know they like nettles, but that is not the most attractive thing to have in your garden. Leylandii is also a good place for ladybirds...I think? I too have a little ladybird log/house, hoping for some this year. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby Geometer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:26 pm

Both the adult and larval forms of the commoner Ladybird species feed on aphids, scale insects, and other pest species, so if you want to encourage ladybirds, grow organic vegetables to encourage greenfly! :) .

Actually, providing hibernacula (somewhere to hibernate), as you are doing, is as good a way as any to increase your numbers.
Geometer

Postby Rambling Rose » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Thank you!
Rambling Rose
Rambling Rose

Postby juliet » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:17 pm

I just unwrapped my cordylines this weekend that I had covered in fleece for the winter and found a handful of ladybirds in there. I couldn't decide whether they had been there when I wrapped it up!
juliet

Return to Gardening