Lawn + benzalkonium chloride = grass - moss???

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Lawn + benzalkonium chloride = grass - moss???

Postby span » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:18 pm

Hello gardeners!

I've got a slight grass problem with the moss on my lawn ie my lawn is currently more moss than grass.

Not being a believer in organic, hard-work solutions, I'm going down the chemical warfare route, and bought 5l of Benzalkonium chloride, thinking that would do the trick nicely.

However, on reading the small print back home ( I know, I know, shoulda read it in the store!) it seems I've bought patio/brick cleaner to kill moss, algae and so on. It doesn't say anything on the tub about it being safe for use on lawns. Mind you, it also doesn't say anythng about not using it on a lawn, either.

I'm still minded to give it a go, because it is a moss killer after all. But I'd rather keep the grass I do have alive and healthy, all the same.

Anyone know if Benzalkonium chloride is ok to use on a lawn as a moss-killer?
span

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Lawn + benzalkonium chloride = grass - moss???

Postby despair » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:27 pm

If you want to kill your entire lawn go ahead

What you should be using is a good lawn feed weed and moss killer or if you can get it

Sulphate of Iron which you then dilute and pour onto a scarified lawn

and then after the remaining moss is black you scarify again to remove the dead moss
despair

Postby span » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:47 pm

Yeah, but will Benzalkonium chloride actually kill grass? Doesn't say so on the tub, and a quick google doesn't indicate so either.

Mind you, a scortched earth policy has its attractions at this stage.
span

Postby juliet » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Googled it for you as well :lol: You would think that I had nothing better to do..... :lol:

http://www.pistonheads.com/Gassing/topi ... C+grass%3F
juliet

Postby span » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:58 pm

Yeah, I returned it to the shop and got a couple of tubs of "proper" stuff instead. Scarifier, here i come!
span

Postby despair » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Glad i was proved correct in my advice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
despair

Postby arborlad » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:39 pm

despair wrote:Glad i was proved correct in my advice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...........well, it has to happen occasionally but gloating about it doesn't put you in a good light!

Your current success rate for error free posts stands at around 50% - how do you feel about that?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby span » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:00 pm

arborlad wrote:

...........well, it has to happen occasionally but gloating about it doesn't put you in a good light!

Your current success rate for error free posts stands at around 50% - how do you feel about that?

Oi, you two stop squabbling on my thread! :mrgreen:
span

Postby arborlad » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:19 pm

span wrote:............. my lawn is currently more moss than grass.

With the current weather conditions and depending on where you are located, that may not be such a bad thing.

Lawn is a very broad description but having a good one depends on getting a lot of things right before any seed is sown - aspect, drainage, soil, trees and their roots, all manner of things combine to make a good lawn..............and then comes the aftercare - of course children and pets must be excluded, mowing three or four times a week...............
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby span » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:05 pm

arborlad wrote:
span wrote:............. my lawn is currently more moss than grass.

With the current weather conditions and depending on where you are located, that may not be such a bad thing.

Lawn is a very broad description but having a good one depends on getting a lot of things right before any seed is sown - aspect, drainage, soil, trees and their roots, all manner of things combine to make a good lawn..............and then comes the aftercare - of course children and pets must be excluded, mowing three or four times a week...............

It's approaching 50 years old now, and I seem to have inherited responsibility for mowing it.

I've finally gotten fed up mowing moss, hence the moss killer.

should have done it years ago I suppose.

But hey, moss is green as green as grass, so if you didn't look too closely at it............
span

Postby span » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:26 am

Anyhoo, not yet you haven't. Still got to wait to see if your advice works!

When I was chucking the stuff about the lawn, the old lady next door spotted what I was at and came over to investigate. Her lawn is in the same state, so now I've done her's too. It took an extra trip to the shop to get more tubs, but that wasn't any hardship. Thinking about it, I could've done one lawn with the benzalkonium chloride as a compasison, had I known at the start that I was going to do more than my own moss.

Mind you, I made a mistake by leaving an empty tub lying about for her to read the instructions on it...... She's fretting now that the grass should have been mown first, and it needs scarifying within 5 days of being set, and I'm not doing it right..... They do say no good deed goes unpunished!
span

Postby despair » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:08 am

Rome was not built in a day

and much now depends on whether you have a hosepipe ban because good lawns need water just as water is needed to water in lawn food /weedkiller etc

If your lawn has not been scarified or had the moss treated in years and has also not been aerated then it could well take time to get a really nice lawn

The moss killer will turn the moss Black and when you scarify the lawn will look bare

at this point is a good time to push a fork in every few inches and waggle it a bit to create drainage then scatter some seived good garden soil /compost across the lawn and brush it into the holes

once the weather warms up you can scatter grass seed and keep the lawn lightly watered and only cut with shears until the new grass is strong enough for lawn mower

do be sure your lawn mower has new or sharpenerd blades
despair

Postby trumpet » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:32 pm

Cut a lawn with shears?? My God you are a glutton for punishment!
Walking along our street there are lawns in the same soil , same conditions yet some are more moss than grass and some are covered in dandelions, clover etc.
Some people just go out when the grass gets too long and with the mower at its lowest setting whack into the grass.
Others scarify and remove that moss loving thatch, use a moss killer ( I use lawn sand) when necessary and feed and aereate the lawn.
As someone said, yes ,moss is green in some cases greener than grass. Clover looks green too. I don't suppose there is anything wrong with that. Although I must admit love to see a lovely green piece of healthy sward.
So when you walk on the lawn does it feel like you are walking on sponge. Then you must scarify. You will be amazed at how much dead grass (and dead moss if you have killed it with lawn sand) enough to fill your green wheelie bin.
It might look a mess straight after but once the weather picks up and you reseed you will be rewarded with that lush green lawn.
trumpet

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Gardening