Acers losing their leaves.

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Acers losing their leaves.

Postby appledore » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi Will, just wondering if your acers are losing their leaves yet? One of ours has about two leaves left, but the others are the most glorious colour. Aren't these crisp, sunny mornings lovely? We were watching a hot air balloon yesterday morning while having breakfast. It must have been cold up there. :) Rather them than me. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Acers losing their leaves.

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:14 pm

appledore wrote:Hi Will, just wondering if your acers are losing their leaves yet? One of ours has about two leaves left, but the others are the most glorious colour. Aren't these crisp, sunny mornings lovely? We were watching a hot air balloon yesterday morning while having breakfast. It must have been cold up there. :) Rather them than me. :lol:

Hi apples, hope you and Mr. apples are well. :)

Our acer hasn't lost many leaves yet, they will probably drop all at once when it catches its winter cold and has a giant sneeze. :lol: :oops:

I love these crisp mornings, we have just back from a hol in Wales and we had the most wonderful time walking and exploring. I'm always excited this time of year, with the night’s drawing in faster and xmas coming. I am funny that way, I like the heating on and warm snuggly jumpers and cold crisp days. Teehee I think we both do. :)

I would hate to go up in a hot air balloon, too scared of heights for that sort of thing. And it would be a bit too cold.

We were a little early for the best of the autumn colours on this hol, I'll upload a few photos later if there are some good ones. Has your garden changed a lot over the last few weeks? It is funny how you go from summer to autumn in such a short period. All our flowers are on their way out, the beach trees have their lovely golden brown colour coming, which I love! Best time of the year this really. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi Will. Mr. Apples and I are both well thank you. I hope you and Mr. Will are well too. :D I'm glad you've had a good holiday. :)

One acer has no leaves at all now, but the others still have quite a few. We've planted our pansies in the pots and hanging baskets.. The potentillas are looking brown now. We'll move the pots round on the patio, and hide the droopy things at the back. Most of the plants are looking a bit off now.

I wouldn't fancy going in a hot air balloon either. We thought one was going to land in our garden last year. We went upstairs and opened the window, and we were waving at the people in the basket. :lol: I'd have made them all a cup of tea if it had come down (after they'd tidied up the mess they made in the garden). :lol:

This is my favourite time of year too. I like the dark nights when you can forget about everyone else. I like autum and winter clothes best too, lovely warm jumpers. I don't like the big spiders that gallop across the carpet at this time of year though.

I hope you have some good photos. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi apples. We are both very well thank you. Your mention of spiders made us laugh, we stayed in a converted barn, and the spiders were everywhere! Oh I really had to get over my fear a little, just to be able to switch the light off and catch flies in my sleep…or perhaps catch spiders. :shock: :lol:

View from the barn.

Stream running through the land.

Wig topped tree with streaks.

Autumn colours.

More autumn colour.

View from a castle.

Castle ruins.

Pumpkin tree.

It was a fabulous place we stayed at. You had to drive through a stream and 3 miles of dirt track road to get to it. Complete peace and quiet, very romantic with wood burning stove and acres of woodland to explore. We saw a lot of birds, nothing unusual. To see nuthatches was great, we don't see them at home. There were friendly sheep to cuddle, even friendly spiders. :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:35 pm

I bet you didn't want to go home Will, it looks lovely, the colours are gorgeous. Very romantic too :wink: Is there such a thing as a friendly spider? :lol: We saw a huge one the other night and I said to hubby I wondered how many were running about when we were asleep. He said he didn't want to know, he doesn't like them either. :lol:

We had friendly sheep in the field next to us and we could see them before our leylandii really took off, I used to talk to them when I was pegging out the washing. They used to wag their little tails aaah! Then one day two of them decided to visit the nice lady next door, and just about demolished the garden. :lol: It's funny now, but it wasn't at the time.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:27 pm

We didn't want to leave, never do at the end of a holiday. Although coming back from this holiday, we have Christmas in mind, so another holiday is on the way. :)

I did wonder if my hubby was afraid of giant spiders, so I put him to the test on this hol. A really big one kept creeping out from the piano on its web. I asked hubby to pick it up in one tissue and put it outside...he did! And he touched it!!! :shock: :lol: I would have done a sissy dance and run all over the place screaming if it touched me. :oops:

Glad to hear your hubby is afraid of them, at least he can empathise with your fear of them. My hubby teases me about my spidaphobia. :mrgreen:

Today was a lovely day, we had a nice walk in the sun. I am tempted to plant winter pansies now, not much left in the garden in the way of flowers. Do winter pansies last all through the winter? I usually chuck all the dead flowers and don't do anything with the garden until March.

Got any plans for bonfire night?
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:34 pm

Your hubby is very brave to touch a spider, Mr. Apples hasn't got over the bat attack yet. :lol: A huge spider disappeared into the corner where the TV is the other night, and we had to pull the TV unit out to get at it. Never one to miss a chance I said lets get the vacuum cleaner out and give that corner a good clean, so I set hubby on cleaning. :lol:

Winter flowering pansies flower when you first plant them and you get the odd flower over the winter, and then they flower in the spring. We usually put some crocisers and miniature daffs in with them, and I put some ivy round the edge of the hanging baskets so there's something to blow about and add a bit of interest. (Imust have a boring life). :lol:

I don't know if we're doing anything for Bonfire Night. We had some fireworks last year for our little granddaughter. She enjoyed them, but she was hiding behind me most of the time. Our grandson is only six months so he's a bit young. I think they may just go to an organised display near where they live. Are you doing anything?
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:47 am

I hoover up spiders, and then wonder if there is any chance they will attack when I empty the hoover out, or crawl out the hoover and live in the cupboard. Then one day I'll open the cupboard door to find a massive web with a million eyes looking at me. :lol:

We go to an organised display on bonfire night, buying fireworks and setting them off in the garden is always a little rubbish. We saw a good display last year, we might go back to the same place.

I don't think it is boring to get joy from things like flowers, in fact I really see the beauty in things more and more as I get older. I am a real home person, are you? Even when we go away I like somewhere homely to stay, rather than a hotel room.

I think those who get joy out of the best things in life like nature and the wonderness around them are the ones most likely to enjoy life in general. If you need too much in the way of materialistic gain and expensive tat, you miss out on what is truly good. Well, that is how I feel. :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:55 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:I hoover up spiders, and then wonder if there is any chance they will attack when I empty the hoover out, or crawl out the hoover and live in the cupboard. Then one day I'll open the cupboard door to find a massive web with a million eyes looking at me. :lol:

I was talking to one of our neighbours (that's a novelty) :lol:, and she said that she hoovers spiders up. I said I imagined them running round inside the plastic dust thingy, but she said they get mashed up when they go through the fllter. Aw, poor things. :lol:

I think organised displays on bonfire night are best, but we just got a few fireworks for our granddaughter last year as we were frightened that there'd be some big bangs at the display. I'm very jumpy too, and don't like bangs either.

I hate staying in hotels, we like to be on our own. In fact I think we'd rather be at home. :lol:

I always think the garden looks just as good in the winter as it does in the summer, just in a different way. I like to see the shape of the trees without the leaves, and to see things blowing in the wind.

What do you think of that supersonic man? I wouldn't fancy falling all that way at that speed. He has chance to find his big toe in his mouth. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:32 am

Oh no! Mashed in a hoover filter...I'll have to pick them up next time and put them outside. :x

I too jump at bangs, I just can't get used to them, even when I know they are coming. Hubby laughed at me last year whilst I was jumping at every loud bang. :oops:

I love being at home too. :) But love going away and making a place home for a few days as well. I have to say I really don't like the sort of holidays we used to do as much anymore. The holidays abroad in hotels and hot weather, I just don't see the appeal anymore. Although it is nice to travel now and again to see different things, ride new roller coasters and have a silly time. :mrgreen:

I too love winter and trees without leaves. I much prefer deciduous trees, they have a beauty which changes with each season. I love to see frost on trees and plants, winter is very beautiful in its own way. I look forward to it, walks in the cold weather all wrapped up and stuff. :)

Wow that supersonic man is barmy! There is brave, and there is supersonic man. :lol: When they showed him tumbling, I just thought 'what a mad person' for even wanting to do that. But I guess someone has to try these things for random reasons. :? :lol:

Although I do wonder why I go on tall roller coasters when I am very afraid of heights? We had to walk down from the tallest roller coaster we went on in California, it broke down at the top and I just couldn't stop looking down. Luckily I am not as frightened as some, because one woman was panicking...it annoyed me into being quite calm.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:04 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:I'll have to pick them up next time and put them outside. :x

Do you mean with your bare hands? I'd like to see that. :D We had a tarantula on the wander last night, I whacked it with my slipper. :x It was so big I could see it's kneecaps.

Have you always been jumpy Will? I have thyroid problems, and it makes me extra jumpy. I have to put my fingers in my ears if I think there's going to be a loud bang. :oops:

I think that supersonic man is barmy too. Really you'd have to be barmy to do something like that. :? It's easy enough to have an accident and get hurt without looking for it. :roll:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:14 am

Oh my goodness no! Not with bare hands, I was thinking one of these :arrow: http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/dont_miss/ ... in_300.jpg :wink:

I have always been a bit jumpy, I don't think I have thyroid problems, although my nan had an overactive thyroid, so you never know. :shock: I do lose weight very easily and have to make sure I eat a lot. But that might be the amount of times I have to jump a day, it does take up some energy. :lol: I think I'll invest in some ear plugs. I hate when truckers beep their horns when passing, I was out on a walk the other day and it happened and I really jumped...they are cruel people these truckers! :x

I know what you mean about getting injured if you don't even look for trouble, almost every time I do any work in the garage or garden I end up with several plasters. I even come to harm doing housework sometimes, I race around at high speed and jump several stairs at a time. I never know what the rush is, but there is always a rush. Hubby is always telling me to slow down, he’s worried I’ll fly down the stairs one day on my head. I did slide all the way down on my bottom once…that hurt!

I’m such a klutz, if I jumped from space I would cut myself on clouds and rain! :oops:

Now about this bungee jump we are doing next week with six spiders each in a helmet… :mrgreen:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi Will. I do everything at high speed too. Mr. Apples is always telling me to slow down. I bump into walls as I hurtle round the house, and I fell in the garden last week . I'm still covered in cuts and bruises. When I'm behind someone who's walking slowly I feel like pushing them. :oops:
I have some earplugs, I can't sleep without them. I seem to have supersonic hearing. I have a good nose too, I'm known as superconk. :lol:

I lose weight very easily and don't like to be hot. Just think if we lived in the same house we'd never see each other, there'd just be a flash as we passed. :lol:

I can just imagine spiders in helmets with their little legs hanging down. :D
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:50 pm

http://roflspiders.files.wordpress.com/ ... malloy.jpg Got you a prezzy for the jump. :wink:

Apples, last night the hedgehog came into the garden and was hovering up the Iams I had chucked out for it. I thought there was something wrong with it, like brain damage as it seemed to keep falling over. Well, he had an itch that was hard to reach, and he is a big fella. So every time he went to scratch, he did a little roll over…oh it was cute! :D Weeble he isn't! :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:10 pm

That's a horrible spider, look at the long legs and all the kneecaps. :shock:

Poor Mr. Hedgehog, you'll have to get him a back scratcher. :lol: Our hedgehog hasn't been for a while. Mr. visiting Puss is very hungry and he doesn't leave anything for him to eat.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Gardening