Tropical Palm advice

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Tropical Palm advice

Postby RocknRoll » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:47 am

Hi,
I love any plants that look tropical - palms, big green thick leafs etc... the ones I have planted in the ground and sheltered are a lovely dark green and growing rapid however the ones in (large) pots and more exposed to the wind ive noticed seen to be dying - with yellow spots on the leafs and these having to be cut off.
So im presuming spikey plants dont do well in unsheltered areas or pots?

Could anyone recommend any palm/spikey like plants/trees that would do well in unsheltered pots?
RocknRoll

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Tropical Palm advice

Postby appledore » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:48 pm

I love plants that look tropical too, but we've stopped trying to grow them as they don't survive the winter. We live in the North East. We had palms and cordylines in pots on the patio, but it was too cold for them. We didn't want to have to wrap plants in fleece and move them somewhere sheltered so we've switched to plants that can stand the cold weather.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Return to Gardening