Infestation of something in lawn

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Infestation of something in lawn

Postby WildFlower » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:17 am

Hi all :-)

Hope you can help.

During the past week I'd noticed blackbirds tearing up my lawn with real enthusiasm. Loving birds as I do, I enjoyed watching them thinking they were gathering moss etc., for nest building. After a couple of days, it was obvious my lawn was being damaged quite badly so I did some googling and discovered that it more than likely that my lawn has an infestation of (possibly) leather jackets which the birds were enjoying. Following the advice on various garden sites, I cut up some of the grass in the area to look for these greyish/brown grubs to confirm they were leather jackets, but only saw a white worm (as you'd normally find in soil), but from what I've read I'm pretty convinced it's leather jackets and I didn't dig deep enough. It seems the best and most environmentally sound treatment is nematodes but it looks like I'll have to wait until the end of august to apply them so not much I can do for now. What I'm worried about is, how much they're going to spread until then and if, by august, my garden is going to be wrecked. Also, I'm confused as to why I've suddenly got this infestation. I've lived here for 20 years and have never had anything like this. Neither did I notice any great amount of crane fly at the end of last summer. For years I've had someone come to mow my lawns and only last year did I have someone new come to do them. Is it possible that he could have spread this via his lawnmower, if he'd cut grass on someone else's lawn that had the infestation? Any replies/advice would be welcome please.
WildFlower

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Infestation of something in lawn

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:29 am

MacadamB53

Re: Infestation of something in lawn

Postby Obliwion » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Thanks for the link Macadam. That's something I was struggling with as well and couldn't identify.
Obliwion

Return to Gardening