Catapillers/Catturpilluz/creepy crawlies

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Catapillers/Catturpilluz/creepy crawlies

Postby Hellonwheels » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:06 am

As I've admitted before I don't know much about gardening, but is it normal to have bright green, wingless, pre-butterfly/moth stage creepy crawly things munching heathers in your garden at this time of year? :?
Hellonwheels

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:16 pm

i certainy have never seen caterpillars munching heather or this time of year

a good spray with pyrethrum sounds the best bet
despair

Re: Catapillers/Catturpilluz/creepy crawlies

Postby Beech » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:53 am

Hellonwheels wrote:As I've admitted before I don't know much about gardening, but is it normal to have bright green, wingless, pre-butterfly/moth stage creepy crawly things munching heathers in your garden at this time of year? :?

I don't think it is, but as the dawn chorus is hotting up incredibly early in the year I think almost anything could happen. They've either hatched early or have come out of hibernation.

Unless the heathers are particularly precious why zap the little beasties? They'll probably be killed off by the next frost.
Beech

Postby Hellonwheels » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:05 pm

Hi Despair and Beech
Thanks for both your replies.
I first noticed two of the little beasties on Christmas Eve, and plucked them off, putting them somewhere sheltered. Over the next few days I have noticed more arriving on different heathers, and moved them also. They are not the same ones each time as their size and numbers have changed, so maybe I've disturbed a "nest".
The ground frost, and bits of snow, have not seemed to killed them off, yet, so maybe they are a tough new version fed on GM crops over summer.
I don't think I'll try to kill them. The heathers certainly aren't worth getting hot under the collar about, the caterpillars are the only bit of colour in the flower bed at the moment - and they don't eat that much!
Hellonwheels

Postby carpinus » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:58 pm

last evening, as I brought in logs for the fire (it's cold down here in the flatlands) there sat a small green, hairless caterpillar. Looks like the caterpillar from the small white butterfly as opposed to the yellow striped/black spotted caterpillar of the large white butterfly. My neighbour is a keen veg gardener & has brussel sprouts etc at the moment. I am used to seeing lots of caterpillars coming from his greens BUT not in January!
carpinus

Return to Gardening