Help

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Help

Postby bertiedog » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:28 pm

Hello, I live in south Bucks and have a lovely landscped garden but I can only do basics as I have had a fall. What really annoys me is that I cannot get gardener or handyman to come regularly. I would like an experienced man but even someone who is pleasant and can cut the grass and do what I need would be fine but all the advertisers insist that they come and give me an estimate! I try to say that I want a price per hour so that I can plan what I should do myself, but no, I can't get them to understand that they doj't know where the plants are and what I want leaving, where to put each plant etc. it is impossible. They say £100 for what, they say it will be all nice and tidy ! I did try and they just cleared all my lovely plants away, it was tidy but a disaster!.
There are so many older gardeners who might like an extra easy job that they can do as and when, their own times to come and go, but I don't know how to contact them. So many do voluntary work for free but I would pay them a goodf rate and they could give that to charity if they wanted. I don't see the difficulty in theory. Any Ideas would be helpful
Regards, Bertiedog
bertiedog

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Beech » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:41 pm

I don't know how old you are so please don't take offence, but Help the Aged will have a list of local people who've been approved/checked. They will have gardeners listed as well as other tradesmen. You would need to contact their office rather than a charity shop.

Be careful about advertising, because you don't want undesirables turning up, but a word with a local pub landlord, or at the community centre might be worth trying. Have you thought of asking at a garden centre if any of their part time staff might be able to help you out?
Beech

Postby bertiedog » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:27 pm

Dear Beech, Thanks for your suggestions, I never thought of Help the Aged, I know they have Help for household jobs, but I didn't think to ring a local group, Regards
bertiedog

Postby Beech » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:07 pm

Good luck :)
Beech

Postby carpinus » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:28 am

bertiedog, a landscape gardener running, maintaining & insuring a truck, possibly with premises, his own power tools, servicing & repairs, public liability insurance, licence to carry waste etc could not possibly make his living doing the odd bit of gardening. A tradesman must earn his living, cover his overheads, pay his taxes & make a profit.
A local person, possibly retired, possibly a mum with kids at school, walking or cycling to your house, weeding, pruning & grasscutting using your tools, fuel, servicing, compost heap etc might happily do it for say £6.50 per hour, cash in hand. (maybe a bit more in S.Bucks).
Check the 'penny ads' on the local post office or store window, ask at the gardening club, ask at the garden centre. Around here there are several who take on local gardening at very reasonable rates, for cash in hand.
I have seen advertised recently (but can't now find the ad) a national concern that employs 'vetted' retired people to offer exactly the service you are after. Check the press & local freebie papers.
My County Council maintains an approved list of tradesmen who can be recommended to take on maintenance jobs for our 'senior citizens'. Check your councils web site or if you get a council 'Update' magazine, check that.
I have a mate, 67 years young who cuts several lawns using the householders own mower, leaves the cuttings on their compost heap, gets paid in 'beer vouchers' (about a tenner a time) & everyone is happy.
Good luck.
carpinus

Return to Gardening