Will our Lilac survive root cutting?

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Will our Lilac survive root cutting?

Postby GaryA » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:27 pm

We have a Lilac tree, over 20 years old, 15 feet tall. It is close to the boundary between us and next door (there is no dispute or problem here). Our neighbour is lowering the level of his garden to have a gravel drive, and this will involve digging into the roots of the tree. He is going down over a foot, possibly even over 18" right up to the edge of the tree where it is next to his new drive. Will the tree survive this sort of treatment?

He has also trimmed the branches that are on his side, and we may have to trim our side to balance the tree, or it will look odd, and may well fall!

Any one have any ideas or advice on this?
Thanks (in advance),
Gary
GaryA

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:08 pm

IMHE Lilacs take a fair amount of abuse

The only problem you might find is a plethora of suckers come up from any damaged section ..........but then some lilacs make suckers whether damaged or not
despair

Postby GaryA » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:17 am

Thanks for the reply, hopefully it will be OK, the Lady indoors will be pleased. Hey, I thought I was the only person who used 'plethora', the guys at work go on at me for using 'proper' words in ordinary conversation.
Gary
GaryA

Postby despair » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:25 am

You just work with a bunch of illiterates !!
despair

Return to Gardening