Horse Tail Weed?

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Postby Maverick.uk » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:49 pm

[quote="xoggoth"] why I have no idea. quote]

Because

The speed with which it has spread to all parts of the UK has been spectacular when you consider that it does not leave seeds behind but grows from pieces of the plant or root system that are cut and transported by people or by water.

Full article here

http://www.netregs.gov.uk/netregs/processes/367836/

Cheers

Mav
Maverick.uk

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby carpinus » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:24 am

Apologies for resurrecting this thread. I (mistakenly) introduced Equisetum, Horse tail to my pond some years ago. It no longer lives in the pond, preferring instead to colonise ever increasing areas of the garden.
This year I have made concerted efforts to get rid of it. Apart from digging out root systems in accessible areas, I have had most success by cutting or snapping stems to leave the hollow stalks available for dribbling in glyphosate. As others have said, spraying on glyphosate to the standing stems is ineffective but concentrating it inside the exposed hollow of the stem seems to work.
We shall see......!!
carpinus

Postby arborlad » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:56 am

carpinus wrote:Apologies for resurrecting this thread. I (mistakenly) introduced Equisetum, Horse tail to my pond some years ago. It no longer lives in the pond, preferring instead to colonise ever increasing areas of the garden.
This year I have made concerted efforts to get rid of it. Apart from digging out root systems in accessible areas, I have had most success by cutting or snapping stems to leave the hollow stalks available for dribbling in glyphosate. As others have said, spraying on glyphosate to the standing stems is ineffective but concentrating it inside the exposed hollow of the stem seems to work.
We shall see......!!

I have seen this method used for eradicating Japanese knotweed and it does seem to work, but I prefer to spray the leaf at the appropriate time.

I think the problem with marestail, is that the 'leaf', isn't actually a true leaf, so isn't able to absorb the glyphosate.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Beech » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:15 pm

We managed to get rid of Mare's Tail from our garden by a concerted effort over a couple of years. We pulled each plant we saw out of the ground, weedkillers didn't have much effect because of the plants shiny non-porous surface, and the roots probably go as far as Australia.
Beech

Postby arborlad » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:39 am

Beech wrote:We managed to get rid of Mare's Tail from our garden by a concerted effort over a couple of years. We pulled each plant we saw out of the ground, weedkillers didn't have much effect because of the plants shiny non-porous surface, and the roots probably go as far as Australia.

This is why it is recommended to leave the sprayed area undisturbed for as long as possible - glyphosate works by being absorbed through the leaf, and then through the entire root system, to the tip of the root, and then dying backwards from the tip - the longer the root, the longer it should be left before cultivation.

I've seen areas where cultivation has taken place to soon and although the foliage is dead and the tips of the roots have blackened, the bit in the middle is still alive. If using glyphosate, be patient - it works.........but only if you let it.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Re: Horse Tail Weed?

Postby niall » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:40 pm

I have the dreaded weed which actually comes through the tarmac driveway. The only was I can control it, is to slowly pour boiling water over each stem.
A little at a time until it is absorbed and then repeat. It does kill it, but you need to repeat every 3 - 4 weeks or when they appear.

I have tried everything and this really works, at least on the driveway.
niall

Re: Horse Tail Weed?

Postby Avenger » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:32 pm

I too have this stuff. I use rubber gloves, elbow grease and a glyphosphate based weed killer to get rid of it. Get down on your knees, rub the mares tail with your gloved hands to break down the hard coating on the plant and then immediately spray with glyphosphate. I find this works well. Note, the plants need to be dry when applying the weedkiller otherwise it won't work. It's no good doing it just after it has rained.
Avenger

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Gardening