Pesky wildlife....

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Pesky wildlife....

Postby hippygirl » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:49 pm

Had to give up gardening yesterday as my trowel kept disappearing....

I think he was taking it to his friends round the corner....

PS: can you tell I have a new camera :wink:
hippygirl

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby appledore » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:17 pm

They're really good photographs hippygirl. There was a hedgehog on the patio the other day, it's surprising how fast they can go. We saw a big fat toad today. We haven't been able to do any gardening as it has been too windy. :(
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:48 pm

Aw they are great hippygirl, love hedgehogs, they are so sweet. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby hippygirl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:44 am

Thank you both. One of the hogs must have been a late one last year because it was very small at the onset of winter so we built a hog house and have been putting food in it every night since and this is the result. We are really pleased it is still around...probably because it realises its onto a good thing :!:
hippygirl

Postby appledore » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:57 pm

Yes, animals know when they're onto a good thing. We've been feeding a lovely little cat, a regular visitor since before the winter. He was feral, we couldn't stroke him, but he stopped running away, just hissed. We called him Hissing Sid. We haven't seen him for a couple of weeks now, so he must have gone self catering. There are plenty of rabbits and mice for him to eat. :)
appledore

Postby hippygirl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:38 pm

He'll be back once he gets fed up with catching his own dinner :)
This the hog last november when it turned up in the garden. Unlike the last picture this was in the middle of the day and to show you how small it was it is feeding from a saucer and when I picked it up it fitted into the palm of my hand.
hippygirl

Postby appledore » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:45 pm

The hog's gorgeous. What do you give him to eat?
appledore

Postby hippygirl » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:09 pm

Hi appledore...i give them the leftover catfood (wet and dry) that the fussy old mare refuses to eat so it doesn't really cost anything. There are also a couple of water bowls around the garden. When I first started feeding them I used to put any slugs that I found on the food but they always left them.
I had to build a house for the food to keep the local cats out and if the hogs leave anything I put the plate on the grass and the blackbirds usually eat the rest!
hippygirl

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:57 pm

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/how_a ... our_garden

It's wonderful to attract wild life to your garden, I hope you keep posting photos of the hedgehogs, they will soon be huge and making all sorts of demands! Oh wait a minute...that is cats. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby helenk579 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:39 am

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/how_attract_hedgehogs_your_garden

It's wonderful to attract wild life to your garden, I hope you keep posting photos of the hedgehogs, they will soon be huge and making all sorts of demands! Oh wait a minute...that is cats. :lol:

Such a very amazing link!
helenk579

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Gardening