Weeds

For anyone interested in gardening & a bit of light relief from the problems of this world

Weeds

Postby Rox » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:11 pm

Dear All,
The next bane of my life is my weeds.
Ground Elder, Napweed and mind your own business!

I have tried digging them out but they are mingling with the plant roots, thereforeI can't put anything serious on them like SBK as the plants will die. Is there anyone who has plant friendly tried and tested methods?

Thanks
Rox :cry:
Rox

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Beech » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:17 pm

Where we've done new planting we've used weed suppressant membranes and covered it with chopped bark.

You cut a hole in the membrane for the plants to grow through. Weeds do try to get out through the same space but are easily dealt with. Our main problem is bindweed, and we know we'll never completely get rid of it!

We haven't tried using it this membrane in any established parts of the garden.
Beech

Postby Rox » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:29 pm

Hi Beech, We already have membrane with bark on most of the beds. The problem is where we have established trees and shrubs and it also comes through from the next gardens. The ground elder has crawled under paths and is now coming up in the lawn, as is the mind your own business.

I take it that you have tried growing the bindweed up a cane and then wiping weedkiller on it? That is the method most recommended.

Cheers
Rox
Rox

Postby Cytania » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:54 pm

Just keep on at it Rox. There is no magic solution to weeds but if they can't generate food because they are always being pinched out they will eventually die away.

Sorry if that sounds like a bore but weeding goes hand in hand with enjoying the garden. Look at the lovely flowers, notice a nasty - pluck it out, back to the flowers, and so on.
They cut down all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum and charged all the people just to see 'em
Cytania

Return to Gardening