Great Whoopie Pie Recipe

Advice, questions, support on anything about cooking and eating

Moderator: cupcake

Great Whoopie Pie Recipe

Postby gardenlaw » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:35 pm

Whoopie pies are so scrumptious. This is a recipe from www.recipes4us.co.uk

Basic Whoopie Pie Batter Mix
The basic mixture for the whoopie pie cake recipe is similar to many other cake recipes except that the ratio of flour to fat is higher. The basic mixture consists of

100g/4oz Butter or Margarine
100g/4oz Caster sugar
2 Eggs
4 tbsp Cocoa Powder
225g/8oz Self Raising Flour
½ teasp salt
1 teasp Vanilla extract
120ml/4fl.oz. Milk

These quantities are enough to make 8 whoopie pies, (16 halves) about 7.5cm/3-inches in diameter. This basic mix can be halved, doubled or trebled as required, however make sure to keep the same proportions of ingredients i.e. if you wish to halve it to make 4 whoopie pies the amounts would be

50g/2oz Butter or Margarine
50g/2oz Caster Sugar (superfine)
1 Egg
2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
100g/4oz Self Raising Flour
½ teasp Vanilla Extract
60ml/2fl.oz. Milk

Mixing the whoopie pie batter ingredients
Although the traditional method is to cream together the butter and sugar, then add the egg, mixing well, before adding the remaining ingredients, good results can be achieved by just placing all the ingredients in the mixing bowl at the same time as does mixing the ingredients in a food mixer or processor.

How much mixture to place on the baking trays
2 heaped tablespoons of cake mixture dropped onto a lightly greased baking sheet is enough to make whoopie pie halves about 7.5cm/3-inches in diameter once they have been spread out a little with the back of a spoon. You can maker larger whoopie pies by using more of the mixture for each half. Be sure to leave plenty of space between each mound of mixture so you can spread it out with plenty of space between.

At what oven temperature should whoopie pies be cooked ?
In general 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 although if you have a fan assisted oven, you should reduce the temperature accordingly.

For how long should whoopie pies be cooked?
If you are using the above guidelines 15 minutes should be long enough however, you can test whether the whoopie pie halves are cooked through by pushing a wooden toothpick into the centre. If it comes out clean, then the mixture has cooked through. If you decide to make slightly larger whoopie pies, they will need an extra 5 minutes or so.

Once baked they will need to be cooled on a wire rack before they can be filled.

Basic Whoopie Pie Filling Mixture
Below is a traditional whoopie filling which is light and airy. This version can also be coloured with a few drops of food colouring or flavoured with . Whoopie pies can also be filled with butter icing, ready bought marshmallow fluff or thick freshly whipped cream.

Fills 8 Whoopie Pies (16 halves)

Ingredients
2 Egg Whites
225g/8oz Castor Sugar
80ml/2½fl.oz. cold water
1 tbsp Honey
1 teasp Vanilla Extract

Instructions

1. Place all of the ingredients in a large heatproof bowl and whisk until well mixed.

2. Place the bowl over a saucepan of rapidly boiling water, then whisk constantly for 5-7 minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy and stands in peaks. Using an electric whisk is easier.

3. Remove from heat, whisk for a further minute or so then allow to cool completely before using to fill whoopie pies

How to assemble Whoopie Pies
Spread the flat side of a cold cake/biscuit with a generous amount of filling. You can also pipe the filling for an extra decorative effect. Place another half, flat side down, on top of the filling then press both halves together lightly. There should be enough filling to form a deep layer which is clearly visible between the two layers.

Decorating whoopie pies - How to decorate whoopie pies
Although traditionally whoopie pies are not decorated, once filled, the tops can be further adorned so here are just a couple of ideas for decorating whoopie pies:-

Light Glacé icing or frosting
Simply mix icing sugar (confectioners Sugar) with a very little water until the mixture is smooth but not too runny, then spread thinly over the tops of the tops of the whoopie pies. Flavourings can be added to the icing mixture such as lemon, orange or coffee, as can colourings and you can sprinkle the icing with chocolate vermicelli, hundreds and thousands or small sweets before it sets on the whoopie pie. Click here for lots of Glace Icing Recipes

Butter cream (butter icing)
Mix up your favourite butter cream flavour and spread or pipe on the tops of the whoopie poes. Click here for lots of Butter Cream recipes. As with the simple icing above, further decorations can be pressed into the butter icing.

Whoopie Pie Recipes
Below is a selection of whoopie pie recipes - both traditional and 21st century

Banana Whoopie Pies Coconut Cherry Whoopie Pies Gingerbread Whoopie Pies
Iced Coffee Whoopie Pies Lemon Whoopie Pies Maple Walnut Whoopie Pies
Traditional Whoopie Pies
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:17 am

Whoopie!!! :D I bet that is why they are called whoopie pies, they look so yummy.

I looked at the name and thought 'ow I don't like pies much' and then realised they are sweet biscuits with filling...yum...yum...yum

I have never heard of these before. I will make some and let you know if they went down a treat. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:19 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: I will make some and let you know if they went down a treat. :)

I think we know the answer to that one before you make them. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:24 pm

appledore wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: I will make some and let you know if they went down a treat. :)

I think we know the answer to that one before you make them. :lol:

http://www.thesassyminx.com/wp-content/ ... e-bath.jpg

Well, I might like chocolate just a little tiny bit. :D
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Return to Cookery