Nigellas delicious clementine cake

Advice, questions, support on anything about cooking and eating

Moderator: cupcake

Nigellas delicious clementine cake

Postby gardenlaw » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:52 am

Made this on Saturday for my tango dance group. Everyone oohed and aahed.

4-5 clementines (about 375g total weight)
6 eggs
225g sugar
250g ground almonds
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder

Very simple to make. Just have to remember to bring to the boil then simmer the clementines for 2 hours.

Method

Put the clementines in a pan with some cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 hours. Drain and, when cool, cut each clementine in half and remove the pips. Dump the clementines - skins, pith, fruit and all - and give a quick blitz. Then tip in all the remaining ingredients and pulse to a pulp. Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/190ºC. Butter and line a 21cm Springform tin. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and bake for an hour, when a skewer will come out clean; you'll probably have to cover with foil or greaseproof after about 40 minutes to stop the top burning. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, on a rack, but in the tin. When the cake's cold, you can take it out of the tin. I think this is better a day after it's made, but I don't complain about eating it any time. I've also made this with an equal weight of oranges, and with lemons, in which case I increase the sugar to 250g and slightly anglicise it, too, by adding a glaze made of icing sugar mixed to a paste with lemon juice and a little water.
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Nigellas delicious clementine cake

Postby Avenger » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:48 pm

This is very similar to the orange and almond cake from Claudia Roden's A New Book of Middle Eastern Food. Very yummy - doesn't last long!
Avenger

Postby Conveyancer » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:54 pm

gardenlaw wrote:Made this on Saturday for my tango dance group.

Are you a Carlos Gardel fan?
If you have benefited from advice on this site please consider contributing to a cancer charity.
Conveyancer

Postby gardenlaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:18 am

I had not come across him Conveyancer, but will now listen to him on Youtube. I certainly learnt a little on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Gardel
Do dance Tango in Spain? We danced at a milonga in Malaga last July. We are going to friends of ours who own and teach Tango at their BandB in Colmenar in May.
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Postby arborlad » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:28 pm

clementines
eggs
sugar
ground almonds
heaped teaspoon baking powder

Is the ingredient list complete - no flour?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Conveyancer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:15 pm

gardenlaw wrote:I had not come across him Conveyancer, but will now listen to him on Youtube. I certainly learnt a little on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Gardel
Do dance Tango in Spain? We danced at a milonga in Malaga last July. We are going to friends of ours who own and teach Tango at their BandB in Colmenar in May.

Not sure really, though I expect some do. There seem to be one or two dance clubs and schools around. We also have a few Argentinians about. One runs a bar near me and has pictures of Gardel (and Maradona) on the wall.
If you have benefited from advice on this site please consider contributing to a cancer charity.
Conveyancer

Postby gardenlaw » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:53 am

There is no flour. It relies on the ground almonds.

Lots of Tango in Barcelona and Madrid.
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Postby arborlad » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:37 pm

gardenlaw wrote:There is no flour. It relies on the ground almonds.

Thanks, yes, I can see that now - '250g ground almonds'
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Cookery