Weed killer on tree, rat poison put in garden by neighbour

Useful websites

Moderator: gardenlaw

Weed killer on tree, rat poison put in garden by neighbour

Postby pollywolly » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:47 pm

I`ll try to make my question short and qick if I can :)

I have a small garden, aprox 20 feet wide and 50 feet long, I have a bird feeder hopper hanging on my pear tree which is in very close proximity to my kitchen door. I joined the sparrow program with the RSPB a few years ago and I`ve built up a nice little flock of sparrows :) I clear the spilt seed and husks up regularly and my garden is as neat as I can keep, I try to attract wildlife, frogs, newts and birds but to cut it short although I`ve had a few wood mice in the garden for years now (they have never come indoors or been a problem, I've only seen 2 at a time) my neighbour, who is over the top clean and tidy, is accusing me of "mouse infestation!" and about a year ago he started to put loose rat poison in my feeder tray and scatter it in my garden along the edge of the dividing wall (his wall) he di this last September and last weekend, I know its him because after I cleaned the feeder tray out and reattached it to the tree I prtended to go out and I watched out of the window, he appeared, he looked over the wall and into the feeder tray, I let him see me so that he knew I knew what he was doing :) he`s putting my dog in danger and the birds, frogs, toads and newts! :roll:

A couple of months ago I went into my garden first thing in the morning only to discover that my previousley healthy pear tree, the one with the bird feeder on it was badley wilting and so were the plants below and attached to the tree, after a few days the plants died and the tree leaves shrivaled and went brown all apart form 1 small bow whic is still green up until today, all the evidance points to weed killer being spayed on my tree and then dripping on ot the plants below killing them :roll: I took photos and sent them to the RHS forum and my freind who is a professional gardener, they agreed that it could be nothing but weed killer, my neighbnour was probley hoping that if the tree died I would chop it down and then he would be rid of my bird feeder and sparrows, I will not be doing that, oh and by the way he has shot at, with an air pistol, and broken 2 plastic bird feeders, I now have a metel one, but it too has 2 pellet dents in it :roll:

Please, can anyone tell if he is breaking any laws? I`ve written to everyone I can think of and not got any real answer to my question, CAB and the local aurthorities say its a civil matter, I don`t want to cause any trouble because I would like to move away one day and don`t want to have to declare a neigbour dispute :roll:

Sorry to post such a long post :(

Polly
pollywolly

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Weed killer on tree, rat poison put in garden by neighbo

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Tricky if you do not want to declare a dispute in the future. I would set up a CCTV camera and catch him in the act and go to the police, poisoning your tree and possibly poisoning your dog is a matter for the police. If you have young children playing in the garden they are in danger too if they picked up rat poison and ate it. You need to get some evidence and stop him.

All this over feeding birds??? What a horrid neighbour. :( I love feeding birds, the idea of someone doing all this fills me with horror.

I imagine you are very upset, I don't really know what to suggest other than to gather evidence and report him.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby pollywolly » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:05 pm

Thank you,

I have got photos of the rat poison in the tray and under the tree, I also kept some of the poison (I've got it well wrapped up) I`ve also got photos of the wilting pear tree and plants. the CCTV seems the only thing to do, but its not cheap to set up is it, I`m not well minted, also I think he would see the camera and then he wouldn`t do anything, he`s a retired policman and must know the ins and outs of what he`s doing, he knows I need evidence :roll: The camera would be nice for watching the wildlife as well wouldn`t it :)

Pauline X
pollywolly

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:10 pm

pollywolly wrote:he`s a retired policman and must know the ins and outs of what he`s doing, he knows I need evidence :roll: The camera would be nice for watching the wildlife as well wouldn`t it :)

It doesn't surprise me that he is a retired police man, there are many bad eggs in the police force that get addicted to the power and getting their own way at any cost. :roll: Disgraceful.

You can have a camera as a deterrent or a secret camera to catch him, it is up to you. Be very careful where you position the camera, make sure it covers the boundary but not too much further so that it could be deemed intrusive.

Yes it would be lovely to watch the wildlife too. :) I had a quick look at your art, you have a real talent.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby pollywolly » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:29 pm

"I had a quick look at your art, you have a real talent"
Thank you, its very kind of you to say so :)

I`m really consisdering the camera, I can quite easily focus it on the bird feeder without it intruding into his garden, its something I will look into, although it could be months befor he tries anything again, he seems to be be okay for a while then goes into one!

Pauline X
pollywolly

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:38 pm

pollywolly wrote:I`m really consisdering the camera, I can quite easily focus it on the bird feeder without it intruding into his garden, its something I will look into, although it could be months befor he tries anything again, he seems to be be okay for a while then goes into one!

http://www.gardenature.co.uk/shop/index.php?cid=93 It would be funny to catch him with one of these! :lol: Although he deserves to have his hand snapped with a rat trap when he puts poison in a bird feeder, ooh he is horrid.

Good luck. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby pollywolly » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:47 pm

Very expensive, but yeah it would be great to capture him red handed with that system :D I`ll have to go and see what they`ve got in the pound shop LOL :D

Pauline
pollywolly

Wildlife camera to record all types of wildlife

Postby SarahDrew » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:22 pm

Cameras are definitely the way to go. Last year, I had a few problems with some youths attacking my garden. I had a wildlife camera: http://www.handykam.com/Wildlife-camera-systems/Vari-focal-outdoor-colour-camera-kit/flypage.tpl.html. Instead of pointing it at my feeding station, I pointed it towards my greenhouse. I was then able to record the destructive kids in my garden. Brings new meaning to wildlife watching! Anyway, we were able to take the footage and press for charges. Therefore getting a wildlife camera can help in certain situations. :idea: Hope this helps. Sarah
SarahDrew

Re: Wildlife camera to record all types of wildlife

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:42 pm

SarahDrew wrote:Cameras are definitely the way to go. Last year, I had a few problems with some youths attacking my garden. I had a wildlife camera: http://www.handykam.com/Wildlife-camera-systems/Vari-focal-outdoor-colour-camera-kit/flypage.tpl.html. Instead of pointing it at my feeding station, I pointed it towards my greenhouse. I was then able to record the destructive kids in my garden. Brings new meaning to wildlife watching! Anyway, we were able to take the footage and press for charges. Therefore getting a wildlife camera can help in certain situations. :idea: Hope this helps. Sarah

SarahDrew. Did you manage to press charges? We have had problems very occasionally with criminal youths in our area but the police don't think they can do much about them because of age. I would be interested to know what steps the police take to stop these youths from damaging property and causing menace, I have always felt the parents of youths causing damage or menace should be held responsible, not sure if that is how the police deal with it though.

Yes wildlife cameras are a very good idea as long as they are not used by voyeurs.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby pollywolly » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:47 pm

That looks like a good camera kit, does it automaticaly record or does it have to be record set up with a DVD recorder or something? :)

After a few more incedents my neighbour has eased up for now, but come spring he`ll be at it again and hopefully I can have a camera set up by then, that`s if we haven`t moved house because that`s what we now feel we`ve got to do just to get away from this nasty piece of work of a neighbour.
pollywolly

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:22 pm

You can modify an existing bird box to put one of these cameras in.

http://www.henrys.co.uk/cctv/wildlifecctv.htm You can usually get all the info you need from a company that sells the cameras and full systems.

Have you thought about using a dummy camera? Sometimes that can be a good deterrent. If you are thinking about moving it might be best to get out before videos are given to police because once you go down that route you might find it hard to sell in the future.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby pollywolly » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:31 pm

"If you are thinking about moving it might be best to get out before videos are given to police because once you go down that route you might find it hard to sell in the future."

That`s exactly why we haven`t told the police or the authorities about him, we don`t want to have to declare a neighbour dispute thing, but I'd love to be able to comfront him with the evidence, he denies he`s done anything at all!
pollywolly

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:41 pm

pollywolly wrote:That`s exactly why we haven`t told the police or the authorities about him, we don`t want to have to declare a neighbour dispute thing, but I'd love to be able to comfront him with the evidence, he denies he`s done anything at all!

Well you could video him and show him the error of his ways without going to the police, he might poop himself and behave? It would be funny to see his face knowing that you have evidence that you could report him with. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby pollywolly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:02 am

Sorry but it`s me. The neighbour from hell has started again! over the weekend he stole the bird feeder from my tree, he also broke the branch from the tree that had the empty fat block and fat coconut on it (the tree is dead due his weed killer poisoning) there are also sighns that weed killer has bee sprayed on the passion flower that I`ve started to grow up the dead tree. I`ve moved the bird feeder as far from his wall as I can, but any further and the birds won`t feed because they feel too exposed :( the bird feeder isn`t a cheap one, it`s steel squirral proof one, I chose it because he can`t damage it with his air pistol! All this couldn`t be starting at a worse time, I have to go to my mums funeral on Friday and I just don`t need his idiotic behaviour.

As I`ve mentioned in my original post, it`s no good calling the police, he is ex police and also I want to move and don`t want a "neighbour dispute" hanging over me. I can`t afford a vidio camera. So my question is, once I`ve replaced, yet again, the stolen bird feeder, can I legally legally hang A4 signs from the tree, in my garden, saying "DO NOT STEAL MY BIRD FEEDERS! IT`S AGAINST THE LAW!" AND ANOTHER ONE SAYING " DO NOT DESTROY OR DAMAGE MY PLANTS! IT`S AGAINST THE LAW!! I would print the sigh on both sides of the A4 size paper so that it doesn`t look like it`s directed at him, also I can I put "DO NOT REMOVE THIS SIGN, IT`S IN MY GARDEN!" By putting these signs up I hope to embarress him, I don`t think his wife knows he`s doing it and I would hope other neighbours would see the sign as well, maybe he would stop if he was embarresed into it, also it would stop me having to verbally confront him and maybe say things I'd regret, I would feel like I'm at least letting him I know that I know its him, my garden is very smal so the likelyhood of other neighbours seeing the signs is quite good :)

Sorry to be so long winded, I'm at the end of my tether and wante good advice before I do anything.

Thank you so much for reading me:)

Pauline XX
pollywolly

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:29 pm

pollywolly wrote:Sorry but it`s me. The neighbour from hell has started again! over the weekend he stole the bird feeder from my tree, he also broke the branch from the tree that had the empty fat block and fat coconut on it (the tree is dead due his weed killer poisoning) there are also sighns that weed killer has bee sprayed on the passion flower that I`ve started to grow up the dead tree. I`ve moved the bird feeder as far from his wall as I can, but any further and the birds won`t feed because they feel too exposed :( the bird feeder isn`t a cheap one, it`s steel squirral proof one, I chose it because he can`t damage it with his air pistol! All this couldn`t be starting at a worse time, I have to go to my mums funeral on Friday and I just don`t need his idiotic behaviour.

As I`ve mentioned in my original post, it`s no good calling the police, he is ex police and also I want to move and don`t want a "neighbour dispute" hanging over me. I can`t afford a vidio camera. So my question is, once I`ve replaced, yet again, the stolen bird feeder, can I legally legally hang A4 signs from the tree, in my garden, saying "DO NOT STEAL MY BIRD FEEDERS! IT`S AGAINST THE LAW!" AND ANOTHER ONE SAYING " DO NOT DESTROY OR DAMAGE MY PLANTS! IT`S AGAINST THE LAW!! I would print the sigh on both sides of the A4 size paper so that it doesn`t look like it`s directed at him, also I can I put "DO NOT REMOVE THIS SIGN, IT`S IN MY GARDEN!" By putting these signs up I hope to embarress him, I don`t think his wife knows he`s doing it and I would hope other neighbours would see the sign as well, maybe he would stop if he was embarresed into it, also it would stop me having to verbally confront him and maybe say things I'd regret, I would feel like I'm at least letting him I know that I know its him, my garden is very smal so the likelyhood of other neighbours seeing the signs is quite good :)

Sorry to be so long winded, I'm at the end of my tether and wante good advice before I do anything.

Thank you so much for reading me:)

Pauline XX

Hi Pauline, Oh goodness I’m just so sorry to hear this is still going on. Your neighbour is such an idiot. The A4 signs might have some effect, I really don’t know, he sounds like he thinks he is above the law and probably tells people a pack of lies and will just carry on. We put a sign up once, the NFH smashed against the fence and taunted us for it, he then behaved even more badly, and we had to use a camera to gather evidence of what he was like.

I think you really need a camera to catch him in the act, you can get very cheap devices which will at least be something to show the police. eBay sellers sell cameras for less than £10, you can buy wired or wireless devices very cheaply.

Other than that you could invest in a dummy camera and some signs to say 24hour CCTV in operation, which might put him off.

I just cannot understand what his problem is with you feeding birds, he is stealing from you and killing plants of yours, that is two criminal offences, the police must act on evidence. It should be irrelevant that he is ex police, if he is targeting you in this way the police should help you.

This is obviously happening at an awful time for you as well, with you losing your mum. I’m very sorry to hear this, I know it is of little consolation but I really feel for you as I know what it is like to be bullied by a coward just like your NFH when you are grieving and needing some time to come to terms with things, they seem to prey when you are feeling weak and it makes it all the harder to cope with.

I hope a deterrent works for you, it would be the easiest way but if not and you are worried about involving the police then you could gather evidence and ask his wife if she can stop him, if she wants evidence then you can show her, you never know it might make him behave. Last resort try to get the police to warn him off such antics, If he was warned by his ex colleagues that they might have to come and arrest him, that might have some effect.

Will x
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Websites