Weed killer on tree, rat poison put in garden by neighbour

Useful websites

Moderator: gardenlaw

Postby Joseph » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:19 am

This guy might be a little strange in his approach granted but i am horrified that so many of you are so aggressive on this subject. I have had problems with a neighbour feeding the birds. Yes i do love the birds in the garden and before all the problems started i used to have a bird feeder myself. But here is where it went wrong-
My neighbour who never had any bird feeders for years suddenly decided that birds would become their new hobby (not a problem) and got a couple of bird feeders and sited them just the other side of my fence. Steadily she purchased more bird feeders and these have all been placed by the fence on poles. Bird feeders attract birds and birds in large quantities = mess. I have lived in my house for over 10 years so know what is 'normal'. She puts her feeders near to the fence because she has a greenhouse and washing line on the other side of the garden (obviously she doesnt want the offending poop). I have been to see her 3 times to ask her to move some of them away from the boundary as our BBQ/Plants/decking are smothered in the stuff and I cannot begin to tell you all how unpleasant this has now become. She feeds them big nuts that they then take and sit up in our tree (which is now just a large bird perch) and eat or drop into our garden.
So she now knows that we have a problem and what has she done? - purchased more, some with big cages around them. She has taken the stance that it is her garden and she can do what she likes which, in the true sense she can BUT here is my point:-
I am just trying to enjoy my garden like her and surely we should all understand that working together is morally better than just doing things because you can. It would be so easy now for me to react and do something horrible in return.
Don't end up like her and become bitter and twisted or reduce yourself down to their level. Be the better person and do the right thing, maybe it is bird mess that he doesnt like or maybe there is a rodent problem. By doing some of the things suggested by other posters on here would be to become the bully not the bullied!
Joseph

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby pollywolly » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:36 pm

Hello Joseph, thanks for your reply :) I can understand your position with your neighbour, but I'm not doing anything like she is, I only haveone feeder, I keep the feeding area cleaned up and and there certainly isn`t a rodent problem, we had wood mice for 6 years before he even noticed and then he kicked up a stink, I've had letters from the council concerning his complaints about me apperently attracting vermin and pidgeons! the council have seen my house and confirmed that there is no pigeon problem, besides, he has a large pond in which birds bath and a massive wooden structure that makes a great bird perch, so if he wants me to remove my bird attractions he should also remove his! nothing gives him the right to steal my bird feeders, shoot an air gun over my boundry, shoot and kill a pidgeon sitting on my roof! kill my plants and trees or lay loose rat poison in my garden, which by the way, according to the vermin control people, is "sackable offence" for any vermin controller ( I saw his son hand the loose poison pellets to him, his son is in vermin control) this neigbour layed loose poison in my garden, under my tree, I just manged to stop my dog from snuffling around the area! The last staw came just before Mothers Day this year, once again he stole my bird feeder from the tree, my mother had died a few days earlier, a few weeks later I recieved yet another letter form the council, this happened just before my mums funeral! I put the signs up and it all stopped, I have now had enough, their is more to this but its too long to go into, but lets say this man hasn`t stopped moaning about things for years! the neighbour on the other side of his house used to get it from him too and they finally moved, well, we have now decided to move away as well, the this man is causing me so much stress, I just want to get away from him, he`s also a lier and tells all kinds of lies to the council. When the house went up for sale his wife was straight on the phone to the estate agent telling them that we don`t get on! why on earth did she do that! I can only assume it`s because she wants to cause trouble for us because a "neighbour dispute" has to be declared, but because I've never complained about them the agent doesn`t see it as a problem, the agent also got a handle on the sort of person she was just by listening to her, so hopefully all is okay.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I'm not like your neighbour, I've tried everything to avoid the birds causing him problems, I even feed "no mess" food but birds live outside and even if I didn`t put a feeder out the birds would still go in his garden to bath in his pond, eat the seeds and insects in his garden and sit in his trees and shrubs.
pollywolly

Re: Weed killer on tree, rat poison put in garden by neighbo

Postby Parakeet » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:09 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your problems. I have had a similar but less serious issue with my neighbour. We live on an estate of small terraced house with small open plan gardens. I have been feeding the birds for years, hanging feeders on my tree which is well away from anyone else's garden. My neighbour put up a birdfeeeding pole against the fence dividing our gardens, positioning it so the hook hung over my garden and hung a feeder over my garden. I was a bit puzzled as to why he had hung his feeder in my garden. I complimented him on his new feeder pole, expressed surprise that he had positioned it where he couldn't see it, commented on the mess that birdfeeders make (I know as I have my own!) and said I might have to put his feeder on the hook hanging over his garden as I was getting the mess in my garden. I duly did this but he just bought another feeder and hung it again on the hook he had hung over my garden. I turned the pole so that the two hooks were positioned parallel to the fence. He turned it back. This little game went on for some weeks until I saw him again and told him I had to keep moving his feeders out of my garden and could he please hang his feeders in his own garden. He doesn't speak to me now. Shortly afterwards my nutfeeder and hook disappeared. I had my suspicions but just replaced it. Then my nutfeeder, seedfeeder complete with rain dome and seed tray and hooks disappeared. It cost me over £70 to replace in total. What upset me more was that the birds were going hungry. We do these simple things to bring joy into our lives and some nasty little people just trample all over it. There is no point me hanging another £70 worth of equipment out just to have it stolen again. I hung a cheap plastic one out and today I've seen that that too has gone. I will consider a camera - how has it come to that?! but really now just want to move to a house with a small private back garden so I can feed and enjoy watching the birds. Not much to ask is it?
Parakeet

Postby Geometer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:24 pm

pollywolly wrote:
, oh and by the way he has shot at, with an air pistol, and broken 2 plastic bird feeders, I now have a metel one, but it too has 2 pellet dents in it
Please, can anyone tell if he is breaking any laws?
Polly

I know this is an old thread, and I haven't read it all in detail, but nobody seems to have mentioned the fact that possession of an air gun or ammunition with intent to damage property is a serious criminal offence, punishable by 10 years in prison.
Geometer

Postby pollywolly » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:26 pm

I wish I'd have know it was a "nickable" offence at the time, I'd have been more inclined to call the police on him, I knew about shooting over the boundry being an illeagle thing to do, but as I think I said in an earlier post, the man was a policeman and, well, calling the police onto another police person didn`t fill me with confidence :roll:

But to let you know how it all ended......we moved right away from him....to norfolk! he did one last nasty thing to push us into our move, he stole yet another bird feeder worth £15-00, it was only 3 days after my dear mum died, I went into the garden to feed the birds and yet again the feeder had gone! a few days after that I got yet another council letter responding to his lies. So we decided that the only way to get away from his constant nastyness was to move right away, we were going to move one day anyway, we just saw it as doing it sooner :) I must say I now feel (1 year and 4 months later) so much less stressed, life is slower and I'm not constantly looking out of the window trying to catch him doing something. But I still wish I could have got him "done" for something :wink: :twisted:
pollywolly

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:51 am

Pollywolly, glad to hear you moved from your nasty neighbour. Just always be glad you have moved, never look back. Some people move house but don’t move on mentally.

I think yours is a success story. The past is the past and always better to be left there. We have learned that over the past few years and know that moving on is more than merely moving house.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby pollywolly » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:14 pm

You're right, mine is a success story :) not only am I away from the neighbour fom hell, I have a bigger hose with a very big shed, I love having a big shed :D and is in a lovely traditional country town :) althought I miss my sparrows from the old house I now have little long tailed tits, gold finches, chaffinches and other lovely little birds visit my bird feeder every day without my new neighbour "bullying" me :D So, yes, you are soooooo right never look back, thank you so much for pointing that out to me, your very thoughtful post has got me to thinking that I'm in a far better place and very lucky to be away from all the stess :wink: It's the end of my years of feeling trapped in a house next to a nasty little toad :D

This post give me the chance to thank everyone who took the time to reply to my post, you helped me to get though all the nastyness I was living with, with you kind and knowlagble people there to "talk" to I didn`t feel alone. Thank you! :wink: :D

Pauline (pollywolly)
pollywolly

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Websites