Sources for aerial photographs

Useful websites

Moderator: gardenlaw

Sources for aerial photographs

Postby paddy's mum » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:34 am

Following on horse's suggestion in another section, here is the organisation that I found very helpful in tracking down aerial photographs to assist in a boundary dispute.

National Monuments Record at English Heritage, Kemble Drive, Swindon SN2 2GZ. Telephone 01793 414700 Email nmrinfo@english-heritage.org.uk

They usually invite enquirers to visit their offices to peruse their archive but if you are, as we were, many miles away, they will on request send you photocopies of any pictures they hold so that you can choose which ones are of the most use. I found the staff to be both helpful and quite prompt in dealing with requests. All pictures supplied by them are stamped with formal verification/certification. Their stamp of authenticity is accepted by all courts in the UK.

I also ordered one picture from Air Images Ltd, Nunsbrough House, Hexhamshire, Northumberland NE46 1SY. 01434 673111. Email info@airimages.co.uk. The cost was £200 but again, they were very helpful, no sales pressure and sent several images so that we could choose the most appropriate.

I had several conversations with Get Mapping. It is a con! They would not allow us to see any 'rough' images - we were expected to pay big bucks in the hope that a photo would show what we needed. I asked the girl on the telephone what would happen if the image wasn't quite what we wanted or if the landmark we needed was just out of shot. She replied that we could pay for as many of their images as we needed until we found the right one - oh yeah? At £100+ a throw - I think not.

Hope the above is of use to someone.
paddy's mum

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby horse » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:53 pm

Thank You Paddy's Mum.
Another one you have just added I have just used http://local.live.com/
which was good but I could not establish any date when it was taken though.
horse

Postby arborlad » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:43 pm

horse wrote:Thank You Paddy's Mum.
Another one you have just added I have just used http://local.live.com/
which was good but I could not establish any date when it was taken though.

The images you see are generally one or two years old, although I have heard someone say their property was three years old - mine is about a year. Much more useful for 'now' rather than 'then'.

arborlad

smile..it confuses people
arborlad

Postby paddy's mum » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:41 pm

Just to give credit where it is due - it was arborlad on another thread who first alerted me to the local.live website. I have myself found it to be very useful but I believe a lot depends on where you live as to how current the aerial pictures are.

We are very close to the Wash. On Google Earth, we are just a green haze. On the local.live site, there is much more but the current picture of my previous home (very nearby and the same postcode) is about 4 years old. I built a detached garage in 2003 and that still does not show on the picture. I am pretty sure that a more densely built up area will be more up to date. Others may care to check that out and report back.
paddy's mum

Postby arborlad » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:00 pm

Both Google and local.live can be affected by what military establishments are in the area and what resolution you get. Like GPS the signals are sometimes 'corrupted', also in some areas you can't get the 'birds eye view'. On a friends house, when viewed from the North, there's no caravan on the drive, when viewed from the South, the caravan is there and you can see my friend walking up the drive.

arborlad

smile..it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Wearyone » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:55 pm

Just had a look at one of my angling club's lakes using the local.live.com and it seems to be quite recent. Good for picking out the features in the lakes, deep holes, gravel bars etc. Can be enlarged further by using ctrl & + although the definition starts to go after 3-4 clicks
Thanks

Wearyone
Wearyone

Return to Websites