Hints of Autumn colour

A chance to show off your photography talents

Re: Hints of Autumn colour

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi apples, how are you? I hope you are all better and have had a lovely weekend / mothers day. We had a lovely time this weekend, I was spoilt rotten and taken on a long walk which I have been dying to do for a long time. We went out for a meal on mothers / wifey's day, and it was so very good. :D

We saw a pheasant on the bank a couple of weeks ago and I meant to upload a photo, but now can't find them now...I'm gutted as I thought I had definitely put them in a folder. But I have lost the photos somehow? But it was so nice to see one. We had been told by a neighbour that they had seen one up there before, but it has taken almost 4 years for us to spot one. I bet Rudey would have chased it if he had been outside. We saw a chiffchaff on another walk we had, the first one this year. I love hearing them, you always know its spring when they chiffchaff all day long. I have been spotting the kingfisher again, now that the water level has gone down. One of our recent walks down the river really showed how high the water level was around the time of the (near) flooding. It had risen over six foot! Even our local stream was raging like a river and almost washed the bank away where you walk, too much rain we have had really. I have only just been able to cut the grass, the garden has been sodden.

Rudey has been crushing the bluebells before they have had a chance to flower, I have had to push little twigs into the ground around them to stop him lying on them. The other day I saw him about to lie on them and he had a shock when he realised the ground was spiked. :lol:
One tulip has flowered so far, most have been eaten by slugs...but we'll get a few I think.
I still have not been out to get flowers for the baskets yet, the baskets are outside and empty at the moment. I will have to get some this week, as we only have a couple of pansies and cyclamen left from autumn, and that's about it. Although the skimmia and other things are coming into, or are in flower, and the roses are on the way. Doesn't it look so much more spring like now! I bet your garden is looking lovely.

I only have a few days until I can go fishing, I have my rod licence ready. Ooooh the excitement! :D
I have promised Rudey some little fishies on dishies, but I will have to wait and see if I have the stomach for killing fish to eat. I don't mind eating them when someone else has done the awful deed, but I might be a bit of a baby when the time comes. I would probably give them a kiss and let them go.... :lol:

We might go and see a film tonight, although there's not much on that we want to see. Hahhaaa hubby went to see a film on his own a few weekends ago, as I was having a new tattoo...(I know, old cartoons and all that) :lol: I am thrilled with my tattoo, but hubby said the film wasn't very good, so I was glad to have missed it. Another King Kong film...yawn!

I hope to take hubby fishing this weekend if the weather is nice, he isn't really allowed to fish as only I have the licence so far, but he can watch, and maybe have a little go if no one is looking. If we are lucky and catch something worth eating, I can be a big baby and ask hubby to do the deed... :oops:

Image Here is our little angel the bluebell squashinator. :lol:
Image The bashed in obelisk, still it will look lovely once the rose is in full flower. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby appledore » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi Will. I'm feeling better, but I'm not there yet. The virus has damaged the nerves around my waist and I have had really bad backache, and I couldn't sleep for the pain. It's getting better now thank goodness. I'm pleased you had a good mothers/wifey day. Our son cooked lunch for us, and we had a lovely day. It's nice when someone else does the cooking. :)

You'd be pleased to see the pheasant. We haven't seen one for a while, but we can hear one occasionally. It's a shame you've lost the photos. I sometimes do that. They just seem to disappear. You must have had a lot of rain for the river to be that high. We've got some of the grass cut, but there's still a lot to do. It's been raining on and off the last couple of days, and the grass is too wet to cut. We've just bought a new lawn mower, but haven't had chance to try it out yet.

Rudey is a handsome cat, but he's naughty lying on the bluebells. :lol: I bet he got a shock when he got spiked.

Our hanging basket has sprung back into life and looks lovely. We had a couple of trees dug out last week as they were getting too big, and a shrub in one of the planters was getting too big too so we had that dug out too. We're going to put some alpines in the planter where the shrub was. Hubby says if you have another bashed obelisk can we have it to grow some honeysuckle. :lol:

Did you go and see a film?

Not long now until you're fishing. Mind you don't fall in. :D
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby appledore » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:37 pm

HERE'S ONE I CAUGHT EARLIER. HAVE YOU BEEN FISHING?
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi apples, I love that photo...soooooo funny! :lol: She looks like she needs to eat that fish, and soon!
I'm glad you are feeling a lot better, but that sounds a bit worrying about nerve damage. Hope you fully recover very soon.

It is nice to be cooked for, I like eating out especially as it is such a treat when you always cook. Now and again hubby cooks for me, but I don't often ask him to. Not that he's not good at cooking, well, he's not, but he's not that bad either. I just have always done the cooking and cleaning, I only ask him to do odd jobs now and again. He takes on the harder stuff which I can't do, like lifting really heavy stuff and the horrid DIY jobs I don't want. :lol: We are a good team. :D

I will start fishing tomorrow, I can't fish on the rivers yet as it is closed season till middle of June, so I'll fish the canal. I am not keen on Carp fishing, its like shooting goldfish in a bowl. I only have spinner rods at the moment, so I'm not really set up for float fishing. But I bought a load more stuff on ebay, someone local was selling a load of fishing gear, I put in a cheeky offer and got three rods, and stacks of bits and bobs for £10 Woop! I'm going to get hubby a rod licence now, as we can fish together then.

We have just booked another holiday, Scotland again, but a different part to last time. It will be for our Wedding anniversary, very excited! Might go fishing... :D :D

We are going to visit the folks at Easter, have you any plans? I will use this long weekend to cram as much chocolate into my cake hole as humanly possible, it is my duty to do so on such a wondrous occasion...chocolate eating weekend that is. :lol:

We saw a good film last week called 'Life' it was an alien film, very scary! I hate the idea of going into space, would rather take a trip underground...and add flesh eating aliens into that idea is horrifying to me! But it was a good film which kept you on the edge of your seat. This week we might see another film, but not sure yet.

I bet your garden is looking fab, you'll have to upload some piccies. I pressure washed the patios this weekend and planted just a few flowers, but I have two baskets to plant yet, so need to go shopping again. I put the weed and feed down, and hope to mow and rake out dead moss soon. Then will come the sewing in new grass, but it isn't anywhere near as bad as it was last year.
Nice to be in the garden again, the acer is almost in leaf, and more blossom is coming out which I love. :)

We had a long walk along a canal yesterday, it was beautiful, can't wait to fish there. We bumped into a man fishing there with his daughter and had a little chat with him, the girl was only very little, about the age I was when I first fished. I said to the little girl 'Wow that was a great cast, you are a real Pro at fishing aren't you!' Then I thought about how crap I will be at first, and how a little kid can cast off better than I can...I think I blushed at the thought of someone watching me before I can do it properly! :lol: Oh hell, wish me luck! If I catch more than a cold I will be happy, I don't want to fall in! I'm taking small lures in hope I only catch smaller fish...I think a large pike could pull me in, I could at least lose my rod. :shock:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Azalea looking a picture.

Pretty border.

Hi Will. Here are a couple of pics of the garden. It all needs a good weeding, we've never seen so many weeds. :shock:
The block paving looks a mess. We put some weed killer on yesterday. I hope it works. They seem to have banned everything that does any good. Our lawns have had a second cut. We're going to buy some shrubs to plant in front of the new fence. Just to break it up a bit as it looks a bit bare. We've planted some alpines in the bed where the big shrub was, and they look lovely. Our Magnolia is starting to flower, and the leaves are coming on the Acers. It's lovely to see some colour in the garden.

You're right about the woman with the fish, she does look like she needs to eat it immediately, preferably with a pile of chips. :lol:

Hubby is doing a lot of the cooking now that he's retired. He says he's enjoying it. I'm enjoying eating it anyway. :) He's not into DIY. He has a go, but we usually end up worse off than when he started. :lol:

It sounds like you got a bargain on ebay with all the fishing stuff. It'll be better if you can go fishing together. You can have competitions like who catches the most fish, and who falls in first. :lol: Don't worry what anyone thinks when you're fishing. It's not important. I used to worry what people thought about me, but I don't now. I couldn't care less.

I wouldn't want to go into space, but I wouldn't want to go underground either. I hate feeling fastened in.

You'll be looking forward to seeing the folks at Easter. I hope hubby's dad is no worse. It's our grandson's fifth birthday at Easter so we'll be having a tea party with candles. :) You'll be looking forward to your next holiday in Scotland.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi apples, your garden looks so pretty. That border is full of lovely plants, I did look at some flowers today, but decided to wait another week or so before I do the bigger baskets.
I went fishing, and had a great time! I didn't catch anything, but felt really happy just being by the canal amongst some lovely wildlife. I got some bites, but they were lucky and didn't get hooked..better luck next time. :lol: I was so good at casting, I surprised myself! No I don't worry too much about what people think of me, but I get slightly embarrassed when I am new at stuff, even if only me is watching. :lol:

Whilst fishing I saw a lamb being born, could not believe my eyes. I had a short break and was watching these sheep butt each other, bonk each other, then one lamb just appeared! I thought it was dead at first, then it started to wriggle, and was on its feet in a very short time...awwwww
I saw a kingfisher again by the stream, got piccies and was lucky enough to get an action shot.

We will go and see dad, but we are bracing ourselves for him possibly being worse, although I can't imagine him getting any worse. Rather worrying for mum as she said he didn't recognise her the other day, but I'm not sure he does really recognise people fully. Its just a terrible condition you would not wish on your worst enemy. Its strange because I dream he is a little better sometimes, and we are visiting him and he has a little conversation with us, but I don't think it will ever be like that.

I'm sure we will have a nice weekend, I think hubby's mum will pull a face when she sees I have had another tattoo, she loathes them! So that will be fun! :wink: I'll just say to her “I thought you love flowers!” She will pull her best 'I don't approve face' and I will pull my biggest smile which will hide me wanting to laugh. I hope the weather will be nice. We will bring some more tadpoles home for our pond/bucket, we have to keep putting some in our pond until frogs make their way back to ours to spawn. Apparently it takes a while, especially when you have a cat who wants to eat them all.

The blossom is coming out on the trees at the front, it gives me something very pretty to look at when working in the office. Our little cherry blossom behind has just started coming out, it looks like a stick of blown up candy floss...soooo pretty! :D I will have to do a bit of gardening when we get home from the folks, the moss will want raking out, and the bark mulch topping up. Its nice when the sun is out, its all becoming so green now, and the little hints of colour are just lovely. I really do love our little garden, it brings so much joy. One day we might have a bigger garden, but for now it is at least a piece of paradise I never thought we would have until we moved to the country. Having trees is magical for me, I could live in a caravan if it meant being in woodland.

I bet you will have fun at Easter, lots of cake and laughter. It looks like this weekend is going to be nice, we will have a little fishing session and sit in the garden and have our first BBQ I think, it should be great fun. I cannot wait for the weekend to come now, getting some warm weather will mean being able to cut the grass and be outdoors without a coat...makes a change.

Rudey had his 7th Birthday the other day, he is an April fool baby. We spoilt him rotten, and now he is begging a little more. He just cannot understand why every day can't be his Birthday. :lol: Bless him, he is a gorgeous cat, and so funny. I just never stop laughing at him. Not being cruel, but his little face and the expressions he pulls are just so sweet and I find myself laughing at him a lot! I think cats are naughty people trapped in a little fluff ball of a body, Rudey so wants to tell you everything that is on his mind...but you have no clue what he wants other than to eat. I bet people who are used to being very spoilt come back as cats to carry on having slaves who run after them, trying to keep them happy. No other animal demands so much, and tries to give so little...until they get what they want of course, then they are loving and sweetness and light. Funny traits in cats, awful in humans. :lol:
How are your two visitors lately? Have they been scrapping? Rudey had an argument with next doors cat the others day, and I say argument because they just sat in front of each other and had a little scream. Fur did not fly, just the threat of a paw swipe. I don't like it when cats fight, I will break it up if I see it going on, but when they argue, it is a spectator sport... :mrgreen:

Image My Barbed Wire...I Mean Wings Are Like A Shield Of Steel!
Image Dippy
Image Even more dippy
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:01 pm

Hanging basket back from the dead. There are some yellow pansies too just starting to open.

Hi Will. The Montana we thought was dead has sprung into life too. Is yours looking any better, or is it a goner?
We've never had so many weeds in the garden, but we've made a start digging them out.

I'm pleased you enjoyed your fishing. It would be lovely to be among the wildlife. You were lucky to see a lamb being born. Thanks for the photos.

I do hope dad is a bit better when you go to see him. It's an awful illness. Dreams can be strange. It's a long time since I lost my parents, thirty years since I lost my dad. I had some lovely dreams just after he died. They weren't like dreams really, everything felt so real. He was happy and smiling, just like the dad I remembered before he was ill. I've always thought it was his way of telling me he wasn't in pain anymore and not to worry about him. I still miss my parents so much.

I can imagine your mother in law's face when she sees your tattoo. :lol: I must admit I don't like them either, but each to their own. It's your life.

Our Magnolia is starting to flower, so I'll take a photo in a few days. We've been planting some shrubs in front of the fence this afternoon. We bought a couple of Red Robins and a couple of Laurels, and we had a cypress tree in a pot that was getting too big so we planted that out too. It looks better. It just breaks up the large expanse of fence.

Cuddles and Pirate have taken to coming at the same time for something to eat. So we put two bowls out, quite a distance apart. Cuddles rarely eats everything, so when he's had enough and wanders off Pirate leaves his food and eats what's left in Cuddles bowl, and then goes back and finishes his own. Pirate is such a miserable looking cat. I said to hubby the other day that I'd never seen him smile. He thought that was hilarious, and said that cats don't smile. Well I think they do. What do you think? They haven't been fighting, but we sometimes have to stand guard so Cuddles can get something to eat.

I wouldn't want to live somewhere without a garden and trees. It's so lovely to be able to look out of the window and see trees and flowers. Our garden is getting too big for us, but if we move we'll still have to have a garden. We'd be lost without one.

Tell Rudy happy birthday from us and give him a cuddle. He's a lovely cat. He has such a gorgeous little face.

I hope you have a good weekend and manage to get some gardening done.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Hi apples, funny how the pansies are coming back! We put some almost dead looking ones behind the garden and they are in flower. The ones in the window basket have all come out, I nearly binned them. :lol:
The Montana did come back, so surprised. It looked dead only a few weeks ago, but noooo, its going to be ok. Glad yours is ok too. :)

I did a bit of fishing with hubby, but he kept getting tangled up...I think he was niggly with it. I will buy him some braid and set him up better next time, or I think he won't want to bother again. We didn't catch anything, tried different lures, but no luck. I think I need to choose a dull day to fish, better still raining. I will go again some time this week if its dull, I might catch something then. But I enjoy just doing it, not the end of the world if I don't catch something. I see loads of wildlife, I'm really in my element. :D

We had some lovely sunshine this weekend and I got a couple of jobs done, the bark mulching, although I ran out. I put the patio magic down, but as you say, these things aren't so powerful any more. All the good ingredients that made these sorts of products work have been removed I think. We also put the water feature on for the first time this year, hubby was doing an outside socket this weekend, so its back in place...and no ugly plastic bag to look at anymore. :mrgreen:
We didn't have a BBQ, but did sit outside, it was really lovely. :D

The dreams I have had about my father-in-law are usually good, it is like he is getting better, sometimes he is back to normal. Maybe he is in a happier place when he is not aware of his condition? Strange to say, but I think he has gone to a different place in his mind where life is going on and he is not aware he is in a home. It seems like he is interacting with people whilst you are there, and he is less aware of reality, more in his own reality. Yes, it is the worst condition, and not one that improves sadly.

I know you don't like tattoos, many people don't. But as you say each to their own. My new one is not black outlined, its very feminine and pretty. You still wouldn't like it, neither will my mother-in-law. :lol: But life is short, you may as well spend it doing the things you enjoy, and have what you like in way of hair, skin art, clothes etc. Its just another way to enjoy the body you are in to me, might be strange to some, but it isn't that unusual any more. People have adorned themselves with all sorts since people have been on earth, views are changing slightly, but it will be a long time before it is completely accepted...maybe it never will be? But I look at it this way, you are a long time dead. Doing what pleases me makes my life what it is...wonderful. Even hubby has some tattoos, most people wouldn't even know unless he's in a white shirt. I bet his work colleagues are confused as to why a shy, quiet, gentle man such as my hubby has tattoos, but it goes to show it is under many a shirt. Even some elderly people have them, and they wait almost their whole life before taking the plunge...its just an acquired taste. I admit to not finding face piercing very pretty, but obviously they do. Its a funny world, made even more funny by human beings and human nature. :lol:

I uploaded a photo of our neighbours magnolia, it has been in flower for over a week now, looks amazing! I look forward to seeing a photo of your magnolia, they are so pretty. The trees at the front are in blossom, not at their best yet, but I uploaded a photo anyway. They look amazing in the sun, especially the pink one. I should have taken a photo yesterday.
It sounds like you have been busy in your garden, nice to hide the fence a bit. You won't see it for shrubs and trees one day, you'll forget its there. :smile:

Sounds like you have found a way to feed both Pirate and Cuddles without fur flying. Growing up, we used to feed our dogs like that. One bowl would be inside, one outside, or one ate the others dinner. :lol:
Rudey was given some treats by his previous owner for his Birthday, he now has enough treats to last him months. Although if he had his way they would be gone in sixty seconds. The naughty boy came home with a mouse the other day, it was like something out of a horror film. He had the intestines stuck in his teeth, like he was flossing with them. It looked like a really long worm going from cat to mouse. The mouse had all its insides on display, but other than that looked fine! Poor little mousey, I buried him. Its not often Rudey catches anything, but when spring and summer come along, he does manage to catch a few rodents. What can you do? :?

Yes a lot of cats smile, maybe some don't? But usually they look niggly, annoyed, confused, angry, miserable, or mad! Rudey smiles when you cuddle him into a purring frenzy, but mostly he looks like a long eared owl with a niggly face. :lol:

Are you thinking about moving? It would be nice for you to have a smaller garden, but still with lots of interesting features and some work to do. I bet you will miss your house, it looks so nice, and you have done a lot of work like your lovely new kitchen etc.. But you won't miss your neighbour! :lol: You do have two good reasons to move.

Hope you had a good weekend with lots of sunshine. :)

Image Blossom
Image Magnolia
Image The living dead pansies
Image More gorgeous blossom
Image Our garden taken yesterday
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi Will. Thanks for all the photos. The trees look lovely, and your window basket has come back to life. I'm pleased your Montana has recovered too. I was going to take some photos today, but it's freezing. There are no flowers left on our Magnolia. They opened really wide in the warm sun the other day, then the wind got up and they all fell off. :( It's a bit spindly as it was protected by the hedge, but now it's exposed to the elements so it'll have to toughen up a bit. :)

I'm sorry to hear hubby got tangled up when you went fishing, but I'm sure he'll get the hang of it. As you say it's more important that you're in the countryside with the wildlife.

We haven't seen Cuddles or Pirate today which is very strange. Pirate has been limping again. He seems to have a lot of trouble with his back legs. He was really struggling the other day and we thought about taking him to the vet, but I don't know how we could catch him, even with a bad leg.

Hubby put some weed killer on our block paving last week, and it's had no effect at all. So I've sprayed some of the weeds with Roundup and it's working. We just thought it would be easier to use something we could put in a watering can. It's a waste of time and money with most of the stuff on sale.

You do right to have tattoos if you like them. It's not an age thing with me. I've never liked them. A lot of older people don't like them yet they walk round with blue hair. :) One of my friends who's ancient like me has just had a bird tattooed on her shoulder. Your mother in law should learn to say 'that's nice dear'. :lol: It would get her out of a lot of difficult situations. :lol: I speak from experience.

I did laugh at your description of Rudey with the mouse with the intestines stuck in his teeth. Smudge used to hide eyeballs, kidneys and all sorts under one of the bushes and we had to rake them out. He once left the fur from a rabbit. It looked like Davie Crockett's hat. :lol:

I think our fence will look better with some shrubs. We had tall shrubs in front of the hedge in the back garden, and they didn't damage those at all when they took the hedge out and erected the fence. We have to be careful what we plant in the front garden because of the septic tank. We don't want roots in the pipes.

Rudey has a lovely face. Does he like to have his tummy tickled? I used to ask Misty if he wanted his tummy tickling, and he would lie on his back with his little legs in the air.

We're not thinking of moving at the moment, but the time will come when we can't manage. I've told hubby I'll take the kitchen with us. We'll tow it behind the removal van. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi apples, did you have a good Easter? We had a nice time at hubby's mum's. Dad was a little more awake this time, but not really any better if you know what I mean, just caught him on two better days. The last day we saw him before going home he was too tired to keep his eyes open. We felt happier to see him seem more alert, apparently he has his good and bad days all the time, you never know how you will find him. He does seem to be well cared for there, so that is one less worry for hubby's mum in a way.

We did eat some chocolate whilst there, but far more once we got home on Monday. Rudey was super happy to be home, he came running out crying when I called him at the cattery.
You asked if he likes his tummy being tickled, well yes he does love that. He sits on my lap and lets me tickle his tummy for ages...he often drools. :lol: Your Smudge was a funny cat, not nice to think of things like that, but it is nature with cats to disembowel small animals...maybe not in such an organised way. :lol: Tig would eat the head and leave the body sometimes, a little head hunter. I wouldn't want to meet people like that would you?

Poor Pirate, I wonder if he is arthritic? He needs to eat more oily fish!

I can just imagine you telling viewers that they will be buying the property minus the kitchen, then towing it all behind you. :lol: We have never put a new kitchen in a house before, but I expect we will here at some point...and I won't want to leave it behind. I think if we are smart we will relocate the kitchen to the garden room as that room is much bigger. People are obsessed with kitchens, I much prefer a nice lounge. :lol: Can't say it is the first thing I look for when viewing properties, I look for trees and a good sized lounge. We put a large fake tree in our lounge at the old address, and loved it! We also had tree wallpaper because we didn't have a garden with proper trees. Funny what peoples priorities are when looking for a new home, I would look at the photos back to front, and if the garden wasn't right, I wouldn't even care how nice the house was...it would be discounted immediately. But saying that, I never much cared about the garden until my mid thirties really. It was just somewhere to sit and BBQ. Priorities change as you get older, I think I could live in a house I am not as keen on to have the garden I want and spend loads of time outside.

You are naughty calling yourself ancient, I don't think you are. I don't really consider my mother in law ancient and she is in her mid seventies. She never mentioned the tattoo you know, I was relieved she could keep what would be a nasty opinion to herself for a change. I saw her looking at it, I saw the shock. She occasionally glimpses one of hubby's tattoos, the one on his arm and kind of squirms a little trying to avoid the reality of a picture being permanently on his skin...not the worst thing in the world, but to a very snobby person, it is hard to accept. I know you don't dislike them because of snobbish views, I think you just don't want them yourself, perhaps you don't think they look nice when the are a crumpled picture in old age. :lol: But hubby's mum is a bona fide snob, and quite prejudiced and incapable of accepting people who are different to herself. She is a bit homophobic too, although now she has a gay granddaughter, I think she has to tell herself that she is just boyish. I know she knows really, it would be obvious to most people. But I don't think she could say the word, or accept the reality that she is gay. I think it is brilliant! I only hope her grandson is also gay, it would blow her mind! :lol: I don't like some things she has said about people in the past, and now she has to eat those views like she is slowly chewing a turd. :lol: I'm a little horror, I know.

Our garden is looking even more green now, the blossom is out on the crab apple, and I have planted some flowers in borders and planted the larger baskets. I finished re-mulching everywhere early Monday and managed to cut the grass yesterday, so all looks lovely and tidy. We went to a BBQ party late Monday afternoon, and I was covered in insect bites by the time it was over. I think I got them in our garden though. We did have a good laugh, nice to be cooked for. We went to see a film yesterday called Fast and furious 8, not bad. We are off out for a steak tonight, so more laziness and not cooking..love it!

We brought home a load of tadpoles this weekend and I think they are quite at home in our little pond. We bought another plant for the pond, just an oxygenating plant. I will look up the name, but it needed something on the surface I thought for the tadpoles to hide under. We are looking forward to seeing frogs, and hope Rudey doesn't eat them all. We found a frog hibernating under the water feature in the garden when we covered it over for winter. It might have been one of ours?

Do you see Red kites where you are? There are loads down in Buckinghamshire, we don't have any where we live yet. I think they are spreading though, a nice bird to see. I can't say I have seen much in the way of wildlife in the last few days, I am quite busy at the moment and don't get to bird watch as much as I would like. :lol: I need to get out there and fish again, but I will have to wait a day or two longer. If I catch a fish, I will take a photograph, or no one will believe me! I have been quite unsuccessful so far. If my first fish is a large pike, I might be showing a bloody image of chewed fingers.

Image Our garden taken yesterday
Image Poor little Rudey trying to look like part of the packing, his face says 'leave me and you will regret it!' :lol: I laugh at is funny little face, he has two forks above his eyes...he would never want a knife and fork...much easier to scoop up more grub with two forks!
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:19 pm

A COUPLE OF PHOTOS OF THE GARDEN.

Hi Will. I'm pleased you had a good Easter. We did too. We had a birthday tea for our little grandson, it was fun. They've gone to Disneyland for two weeks, and they're having a lovely time. :) It's good that hubby's dad was a little more awake. It's sad seeing them like that as it's not really the person you remember. Hubby's mum was in a home and she was well looked after. It's not the same as visiting them in their own home though.

I haven't eaten one bit of chocolate over Easter. I'll polish my halo. :lol: Rudey will be pleased to be home. I can remember Misty crying all the way home in the car when we picked him up from the cattery. They don't know that you're going to come back. Pirate has stopped limping now. The other day we had some sausage left over so I cut it up for the birds. Then Pirate turned up for something to eat so I put a bowl of cat food out for him. When I looked a few minutes later Pirate was eating the sausage and the birds were eating the cat food. :lol:

Yes, our house would look strange without the kitchen. We put up with the old kitchen for seventeen years. Brown is the only word to describe it. Everything was brown, the units, wall tiles, floor tiles, worktops. We tiled over the brown wall tiles and did our best to brighten it up. Our nephew who's a joiner rehung the unit doors for us, but then they were really past it so we got our new kitchen. It'll definitely have to come with us if we move. :) We'd have to have a garden too. We love trees. It would be a funny world without them. Our son and daughter in law have started taking more interest in their garden and it looks lovely now.

I did laugh about your mother in law. I could just picture her face. :lol: You're right about tattoos. I do think of them as looking like crumpled comics when someone gets older and wrinkly. We shouldn't really judge people. Nobody is better or worse than anybody else, they're just different.

I hope your tadpoles survive and grow into big frogs. Rudey will be chasing them round the garden. :lol:

No, we don't see red kites here. We have lots of sparrows. I read somewhere there was a shortage. They must all be in our garden.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi apples, the photos of your garden are lovely, lots of colour. We have been spending a lot of time in the garden doing odd jobs, also walking and fishing. Although it has been cold lately, its been mostly nice and dry. We had a great fishing day yesterday, well I did. Hubby got in more bother, it really isn't his cup of tea I don't think. It'll be my hobby, maybe one day I will catch a fish too! :lol: I had a couple of bites, but didn't manage to get the fish hooked. Oh well, I still love it! :mrgreen:

Glad to hear your family are having fun in Disney land, I bet they are having a great time. :)

Rudey brought home a young blackbird the other day, it was sad to see, but he can't help it I suppose. He hadn't eaten any of it, just wanted it as a toy. I keep pointing out to him that he has dozens of toys, but they are just not lively enough for him. :(

We have a lovely long weekend now with it being a bank holiday on Monday, so we'll spend a bit of time in the garden and go for some walks and meals out. We have seen a couple more films, but there's nothing else I want to see at the moment, so we'll have a break from the cinema for a week or two.

We are off on holiday in a couple of weeks, so we are looking forward to that now, in fact can't wait! I have already packed my fishing gear and will be looking for somewhere to fish if just for one day. :lol: I have bought hubby what I hope is a fab present for our anniversary, I'm waiting for it to arrive, and so hope it is what he wants. It gets more and more difficult to buy for him, I like many things like home & garden stuff, jewellery, clothes, and of course lovely little fishy lures. But hubby likes mostly gadgets. I often don't have much clue about electronic stuff and gadgets, so have to do an awful lot of research on the internet before buying something...or it'll most likely be rubbish! He will like whatever I buy for him I suppose, but I still want it to be right.

I laughed about how you described your old kitchen, it is like our kitchen. For some reason the people who lived here before didn't know how to have a contrast. Everything they picked for the kitchen is brown! I had to put that wallpaper in there to break up the sea of brown. I really like modern oak kitchens, but they have to be in a bright room, our kitchen I feel needs to be a light cream shaker style, with contrasting worktop, probably quartz, and a nice tile. We had a design consultation the other day for putting a kitchen into the extension, we'll look at the design on Sunday and price, and see whether we are wanting to do it now or later down the line. For me there's no rush, the later the better, as I don't like disruption and mess. But a free consultation and design is always good, if just to keep for the future. :wink:

Have you any plans for the weekend? I hope the sun shines for us all and we can get in the garden and potter to our hearts content. I have put a frame around our wild pear tree, Rudey was shredding it because it was his favourite scratch post. He kept snapping the dog rose we planted by it too, so he's banned from it now. We have also put one around the birch at the front and I'm going to buy some sweet peas for inside the frame, and some annuals for the outside, it should look very pretty. :D

Here's some photos... :) Have a lovely weekend!
Image A nice male bullfinch
Image Pretty bluebells
Image I spy a deer
Image Ducklings on the canal yesterday
Image Beautiful sunset after fishing
Image The view from our office getting prettier and prettier
Image This is what is left of the bluebells Rudey was lying on
Image The cage around Rudey's favourite scratch post :lol:
Image What's left of the crab apple blossom
http://vid188.photobucket.com/albums/z2 ... i6dsxc.mp4 A deer on the golf course the other day, I put it o repeat a few times as it made a quick dash for the trees.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Mon May 01, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi Will. I hope you've had a lovely weekend. It's a shame hubby isn't enjoying fishing. It's annoying when you want to do something, but can't get the hang of it. I hope you catch a fish soon. I'm waiting to see a photo. :)

Our family are due back home tomorrow. They've had a wonderful time. There'll be some sad faces I think when they leave Florida. :( We've been popping up to their house to make sure everything's ok.

It is sad when cats catch birds, but it's what cats do. Pirate is a strange cat, he always looks so serious. He comes right up to the patio doors now, and I sit on the floor and talk to him. As long as there's glass between us he's brave, but he won't come anywhere near us when we're outside. Cuddles was 'helping' me in the garden yesterday. He was playing his favourite game, hiding in the bushes and jumping out when I walk past. Then he decided he'd had enough and wandered
off.

You'll be looking forward to your next holiday. I hope hubby likes his anniversary present, men are difficult to buy for.
I suppose men think women are difficult to buy for, but I don't think we are. :)

We were really fed up with our brown kitchen. The units were solid oak, but I wouldn't have chosen them. We decided to have something completely different so we went for white shaker units, black quartz worktops, white wall tiles, grey floor tiles and grey knobs on the units. We have splashes of red, but we can switch to a different colour if we fancy a change. We could paint the units a different colour, but I think we'll stick with white. For the moment anyway. :) We did think about having cream shaker units, but we have a white Aga and thought it would look better with white units. I hate disruption and mess too. I don't like having work done. It's a nightmare.

It's a good idea to put frames round the trees to keep Rudey off them. Cuddles can't walk past one fence post without having a good scratching session. He scratches the shed too.

Thanks for the photos. We don't see bull finches. They're pretty birds. We have quite a lot of bluebells in the garden.
Aren't the ducklings pretty? It's a beautiful sunset. We see more sunsets now. The hedge got in the way before.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby appledore » Mon May 01, 2017 7:11 pm

The fence should soon be covered by shrubs.

Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed May 03, 2017 10:11 am

Hi apples, the photos are lovely, I see you have some lovely bluebells. Your Viburnum is still in flower too. Ours was in flower up until about a week ago, then they all dropped, and a large branch died...grrrr It is sandwiched between fence and Alder, and it struggles I think. I love your steps up to the next level of garden, that is so pretty. :)

Did you manage to do lots in the garden this weekend? We have been pottering like mad, I have spent a week stripping the bird house and repainting it. It had a lot of rot on one corner, so I used some wood hardener, and filled it. I hope it lasts a bit longer now, I'm very keen on that bird house.
We will make one for the front once we have space in the garage, it will be a fun project. :D

Rudey has been very naughty and caught another young blackbird. He almost caught a magpie behind the garden, and it was screaming, I got upset and run up the bank to try and get it off him. Well, the magpie probably gave him a few pecks which would have shocked him. Rudey doesn't catch many birds, and they are usually small, magpies probably have a good peck on them...he lost it and they taunted him all day. Oh the noise! They were flying at him, and he sat next to the food tray to try and prevent them from eating. The magpies won in the end as they don't give up, Rudey might be a defiant little beast, stubborn throughout, but he could not take the constant onslaught! They were pecking the branches of the apple to make blossom rain on him, that didn't work so they flew at him, and cackled for an hour or so until Rudey the defiant came in to sulk...oh and sulk he did. We had to cuddle him for hours, his ears were down...he was really quite annoyed. Hahaaaaa serves him right! I don't like that he is catching more birds, I hope this has taught him a lesson. Or he will have more bells added to his collar so he sounds like Santa's sleigh! Oh speaking of Christmas, I bought some pretty solar lights for our crab apple, they look a little Christmassy. :lol: But they are nice.

I have planted around the frame at the front, and am growing some everlasting sweet peas. I also sowed in some new grass, we had a few patches which were not growing back well. It wasn't so bad this year as we are giving the grass a lot more attention than its ever had before. We don't have great lawns, but they have improved a lot since we moved in.

Your family will be thinking back to their holiday now, and wishing they were still there. You always do that after holidays, but that is what makes them so great, you look forward to the next one. If you were on holiday all the time, it wouldn't be a holiday. We met someone in Mallorca last year who holidays there for two months at a time...I thought I would be so bored. I like to go home and think of the next place to go. We are all different though, some people can spend a year travelling and call it a holiday...I think we would call it hell. :lol: We love our home life.

Funny how Pirate is still so nervous, I bet he won't change. If he won't let you stroke him by now, he probably never will. Some cats are very nervous creatures, and others run at you and offer their belly for a stroke. Rudey is scared of other people, unless they are with us. He is not so trusting, he runs with his tail between his legs when someone walks past the house, he's a funny boy.

I received Hubby's presents, they look good, although I can't test one. So I just have to hope it is ok, men are more difficult to buy for.

The ducklings on the canal were so young! They were as cute as little buttons...ooooh I coooooooood! Good job the canal isn't full of pike there, or they could be eaten quite quickly.
I didn't think fishing would be Hubby's kind of hobby, it is more for me. I could walk for hours up and down a canal or river and not get bored. I don't float fish as I don't like to sit around, I spin and although you might not always be successful, it is very enjoyable...for me. :lol:

We are going out for a curry tonight, and as it is a nice day today will try and get out for a walk this afternoon. I know the bluebells won't be around for much longer, nice to enjoy them whilst they are here. Maybe I'll go and look for the Kingfisher, days like today I tend to always see at least one. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Photography