Hints of Autumn colour

A chance to show off your photography talents

Re: Hints of Autumn colour

Postby appledore » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi Will. I'm sorry to hear you've had to have surgery on your back. Did you strain it when you caught a big fish? Seriously though I hope you feel better soon. :D I had to have an emergency caesarean section when our son was born.. It all happened so fast I didn't have time to worry about it. I know you'll be itching to do some gardening, but your back is more important.

I've found the name of the plant. It's Persicaria affinis superba, so you were on the right track. Thank you :) The flowers start off pale pink and then change to a darker pink. The leaves turn a bronze colour in the autumn, and stay like that until the new leaves come in the Spring.

I haven't started on the gates yet, they need a good wash first. We have two lots of gates like the ones you can see in the photo. It won't take me long once I get started. It's getting started that's the problem. :)

I think a cupboard is more useful than a dishwasher. A friend of ours got one, and he thought he was the bee's knees. He managed to get the dishwasher into every conversation. :lol:

I think Pirate is getting a little bit braver. I walked past him yesterday and he didn't run away. He's just as greedy though, he eats Cuddles' food as well as his own. You could be right and he's copying Cuddles. One of them had left a mouse for me this morning. A tiny little thing.

I chose the colour for the picnic table. I didn't want boring brown so I chose what was supposed to be golden. It's horrible, so boring brown it will be. We'll paint it when we stain the shed.

Have you never had a wasps nest? We have one most years. We've had them in the rockery and under the eaves.

Our garden is looking good, the only thing is that at this time of year everything grows so fast we struggle to keep up with it.
Hubby is trimming the hedges and taking quite a bit of height off then they'll be easier to look after.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi apples. I will have to take it a bit easy for the first few weeks, not easy for me...I like to go one hundred miles an hour. :lol: I'll be fine I'm sure, feeling really good all ready. You don't worry when something happens suddenly, in fact I wasn't that nervous before the op strangely enough, just felt everything would be ok. :D I didn't do it catching large fish, not had that pleasure yet. :lol: It is an old injury which just got worse suddenly, no idea how it happened? Just must have been ready to fail. Never mind, its fixed now and I am on the mend and will be ready for action soon enough. :) My birthday is in a couple of weeks and I am planning to do some careful fishing by then...we'll see. :mrgreen:

Glad you have the name of your plant, I try to write down the names of all plants we have, and update the list when things die and get replaced. But some plants I am not sure about, its hard to find things in the A-Z of plants as you don't have much clue in the first place sometimes. Its nice that plant you have, I like pink flowers a lot. :)

The hardcore dishwasher people are strange to me. I was working in the family shop many years ago and it was just after we bought our first home together. A girl I knew came in to say hello, and she was looking through my photo album I had under the counter of pics of our home and us together. She asked if we had a dishwasher...I said no. she went on about how she once had a dishwasher, and she made it sound like that is when you now you have arrived. My mum laughed when she left, and said she thought the girl seemed very small minded. I didn't think much about it really, had no opinion about dishwashers. Then my mother-in-law started to go on about hers, and she still manages to fit it in to conversation... :lol: It might be a similar thing to when a person has a mid-life crisis and runs out to buy a sports car or convertible of some sort...it simply must make them more attractive or interesting mustn't it? :lol: :lol: :lol: Gone fishing...whistle whistle whistle... :lol: I don't get it. :?

Awww poor little mousey, I don't like dead prezzies do you? Rudey brought home another young blackbird a few of days ago, in fact it was the day I got back from hospital...he must have thought it was similar to buying me flowers or grapes. :lol: Little sods cats are, but we love them anyway.

What a shame you didn't like the colour of your picnic table, its a waste of paint and time...but I'm sure boring brown will be lovely brown once you have done it. I love boring brown. :lol:

We got wasps nests growing up, my dad used to kill them all. We have never had one in any house we have lived in. If we did have one, I would run around arm flapping, you would think I'm a bird trying to fly all the time. :lol: I am very afraid of wasps, but I did manage to have one buzzing around my head yesterday when I went out to feed the birds...I didn't want to try and start flying at the time. :mrgreen:

The garden is growing quickly, we did some trimming today, hubby did most of it, I did little bits and bobs. He is having a shower now as he was wet when he came in just minutes ago, I forgot to water him...and he obviously forgot where the taps are situated. :lol:

Hope you are enjoying the sun, it is a very hot and lovely today. You will have finished all your gates I bet...or just pottered and kept out the sun? I don't suppose hot sun is any good for gate painting.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:21 pm

Hi Will. Phew it's hot today. I hope you're still on the road to recovery. :) I laughed when you said you like to go one hundred miles an hour. I'm the same. :lol: While I'm busy doing one thing I have the next twenty things I want to do in my mind. If I get stuck behind someone who's walking slowly I feel like giving them a push in the back to hurry them along. :lol: You'll soon be action woman again. :D

You're very organised making lists of your plants. It's a good idea though. We have a lovely pink Spiraea. I'll take a photo.

I don't mind washing up. I know I haven't arrived with my Marigolds and washing up liquid, but I'm happy enough. :lol:
If I have something on my mind I often think it through while I'm washing up. It's sad really if all you can find to talk about is a dishwasher.

I don't like dead mice either, or dead birds, but I suppose to a cat is a lovely present.

We had two baby pheasants on the patio last night, they must have lost their mum. One was still there this morning, and was running from one side of the patio to the other and couldn't find a way out. The poor little soul was running about for ages. Then I saw him in the front garden, and haven't seen him since.

I'm sure boring brown will be a better colour for the picnic table. It couldn't be worse. We mostly use it for potting up plants, and Cuddles and Pirate like to sleep on it, but not at the same time. :lol:

I haven't painted the gates yet, it's too hot.

Here's the little pheasant. I think it's a pheasant anyway.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:30 am

Hi apples. The bird isn't a baby pheasant, its a wader, but not sure which one it is. My first thought was curlew sandpiper, then I thought redshank, then wood sandpiper, then stone curlew, but am defeated! You should put the picture on a birdy forum to see if someone knows. Its a sweet little bird, be nice to know what it is for sure. :)

I forgot to tell you, before my op I found a baby jackdaw that looked poorly, I took it home...I know I shouldn't have done, but it was definitely fox food, so I thought I would try and help it if I could. So it went well for a day and a half, but it was ill and didn't make it. I think it had fledged and then got very wet and hungry, and it was too weak...shame, I was upset. I shouldn't take birds home, but have done a few times and this was the only one I wasn't able to help...boo :(

We are both speedy birds then, funny how many women race around and do things with such efficiency, and most men do things at a slower pace...to us it is just too slow. :lol: It isn't a race, but we have to go at the speed we feel good with...and we are racing. :mrgreen:

I am feeling really good, hardly any pain, and only taking occasional paracetamol. Hope it keeps going this way. :D. I laughed about you wanting to push slow walkers on, oh my how fast I need to walk. I went for a walk yesterday, and I was still speedy. :lol: It is hard to slow down when you don't do slow.

What we should do is buy gold marigolds...then we will have arrived at a higher destination of sad... :lol: What the hell does 'arrived' mean anyway? But I hear people use that term, maybe it is when you are half brain dead and ready for a life long mid-life crisis. Oh people are funnier creatures than most animals. I consider myself to be a bit strange, but I will never reach destination follow the croud...would rather be up a tree. :)

It is a gift when a cat leaves you a dead animal, they are considering you. Perhaps showing off their usefulness, or returning the food favour? Maybe they are trying to say they want more, and went hungry that moment. :lol: Rudey will not let go of a kill until it has outlived its chewyness. Once he is bored with it, I get the pleasure of disposing of the poor thing. They are natural born killers.

I wonder if you had two benches a little apart, cuddles and pirate might get closer? Probably not, well unless there was a fence between them. Rudey and next doors cat will row through the fence. :lol:

It was really hot yesterday, I doubt it will be so hot today, but I will loaf in the garden and see. :) What will you be doing today? I bet you will find time for the garden.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi Will. Hope you're still ok. It's strange if the bird's a wader. We're a long way from any water. The septic tank is the nearest thing we have to a pond. :lol: We haven't seen it again. It probably wore itself out running up and down the patio.

It's a shame the little jackdaw died, but you did the best you could. I'd have done the same, and brought it home. :(

Yes, I'm a speedy bird. Can't go slow. Hubby says he's going to get some traffic lights installed in the house to slow me down a bit. It wouldn't work. :lol: He keeps saying what's the rush. :lol:

Gold marigolds trimmed with sequins. We'd have arrived then, we'd probably be locked up. I don't know what 'arrived' means. Whatever it means I don't think owning a dishwasher will make much difference. :lol:

Pirate is a funny cat. We were both gardening last night, and Pirate was sat with his nose up to the patio doors waiting for someone to feed him. I don't know who he thought was inside when we were both in the garden. Then Cuddles turned up and I had to stand guard so he got something to eat. Pirate kept coming from all different angles to steal Cuddles' food but he didn't succeed. :)

We had a thunder storm this morning so all the plants got a good water. It's a lot cooler today I'm pleased to say.

Here's the spiraea.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi apples, yep still doing good. Did you find out what the bird is? Looked through my book, but can't really say what it is for sure. Your spiraea is lovely, ours doesn't flower untill July.

We were expecting storms last night, unless we slept through them, they didn't come. We did get some rain though. We had a walk in the woods last night, it was muggy, when we got home we had a fan on in the lounge it was so hot. Much nicer today, cooler but still sunny. I'm sat in the garden, watching birds and Rudey chasing stuff :lol:

Has Pirate got any closer to being stroked yet? Rudey sends a belly flop. Have you seeen the video of Rudey and his snack tub? :lol: He likes to get his own way. Cats and their food, not much will get in the way of them eating.

I will upload some photos later of our garden, the roses are coming out on the one at the back now, they are cute. :)

We will go out for a meal this weekend, I'm not sure where yet. But I could just eat a hot curry right now, but I will make do with some scrambled egg on toast...that is if Rudey doesn't steal it...he goes mad for egg. :mrgreen:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:23 pm

Hi Will. I hope you are still progressing well on the road to recovery. :)

I joined two bird forums, but can't get any response. So it's 'if at first you don't succeed give up'. :lol: It does look like a wader, the beak and legs look right, but I thought waders were found close to water. :?

It's cooler thank goodness. We've been tackling the hedges, but we've had one off today. We have two fans, but the one upstairs broke so we had to buy another one.

Pirate doesn't seem as frightened as he was. We can walk past him without him running away which is progress. If we crouch down close to him he's off like a rocket. Yes, I saw the video of Rudey. :)

I hope you enjoyed your scrambled egg. Coco loved scrambled egg.

A double wink for Rudey from Cuddles.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:02 am

Hi apples, I am still doing great, but have to take it easy for a few weeks...not easy for me. :wink:

Did you have a good weekend? Hubby took care of the garden chores, and I watched. :lol: We managed to have a meal out which was lovely. It was mostly a snuggly weekend, and as you said, much cooler thankfully.

Oh that photo of Cuddles is so cute, Rudey said he will take those winks and return a big belly roll...he has rolls of flabby loose skin. :lol: All the better for cuddling Rudey says.

Pirate will be having a cuddle from you before you know it. Cats do take time to build up trust if they are timid, I'm sure he will eventually let you pet him, if just for a moment. :)

I can't beleive no one has anwered your birdy question, how frustrating. I would love to know what it is, I bet you would too. I don't think all waders stay close to water at all times, some will nest in farmland. Lets hope someone will answer your question soon.

I am doing lots of walking to keep myself busy, I can't do putting my feet up for long..best to stay active and healthy. I will be back driving in a few weeks and then back to normal I hope. I much prefer doing things for myself, not good at being the one being looked after, but hubby does it so well...can't complain at all. :D

I would have uploaded some photos, but silly photobucket is not working for me. I'll try again another time.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:27 pm

Image Rudey sunbathng today. :D

http://vid188.photobucket.com/albums/z2 ... krotq1.mp4

It is easier to do a picture video of the garden, it shows this year from April to June. I do need to plant some more summer annuals in the rear left border, as the snapdragons have almost finished, and it looks green except for the roses. :)
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi Will. You'll soon be as fit as a fiddle, and running around at 200 miles an hour. :) Do you enjoy driving? I only drive when I can't avoid it. I don't enjoy it at all.

We had a good weekend thanks. Nothing special, gardening on Saturday and a quiet day on Sunday. Hubby has been
cutting the hedges this afternoon. He's just come in and said he's had enough for today, and he'll tidy up tomorrow. I've been doing the dreaded ironing. I'm pleased you enjoyed your meal out.

Thanks for the video of the garden. It looks lovely. Your garden is a nice size, and it's lovely and private. Ours is private, but too big. I wish it would shrink a bit. :lol: Our snapdragons have almost finished too, and the hanging basket we bought with the small pansies is past it's best. I think we'll replace the pansies with petunias. They should keep going until it's time to plant pansies again.

It's a lovely photo of Rudey sunbathing. He's a cuddly cat. Pirate was eating a poor little sparrow this morning, the naughty cat. It must have been a snack as his little face appeared at the window not long after and he ate what I put out for him.
Cuddles has been twice, and they haven't been fighting up to now. I hope we can stroke Pirate soon. He's definitely braver than he was.

I'm glad you've got a good hubby who's looking after you. My hubby looks after me well when I'm ill, but like you I'd much rather be able to do things for myself.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Hi apples, yes I enjoy driving, prefer to drive than be driven. Although you take in the scenery when being driven, so it is better sometimes.

I will swap gardens with you if you want? :lol: Our garden is very manageable, it still needs some work here and there, but we will run out of projects with it being so small. I am looking forward to us doing the deck next year, the patio at the top is rubbish!

Awww poor sparrow, did he eat it all? The only bird Rudey ever ate was a siskin...I was not impressed. But then most birds he just chews, so it isn't even cutting down on pouchies. :lol: :wink:

The frogs are leaving the pond, and Rudey is very interested. Hubby thought he might have mowed over one the other day, and I thought I might have trodden on one yesterday...we are going to have to be very careful as they are tiny.

Today I went for a walk and videoed a grey wagtail for a while, but because of the rain and high flow of water, the kingfisher wasn't around. I hope to see more of them this summer. :) The jay is around every day, but not bringing the young into the garden yet. The magpies are still watching over their young, although it shouldn't be long before there is room for everyone again. They all have to tread carefully around each other when they have their young.

Have you heard anything about the birdy yet?

We are going out for dinner again tonight, I want steak and chips. :mrgreen:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:12 pm

Hi Will. I hope the weather is better where you are. It's cold and wet here. It rained all day yesterday, and it's rained all day today. It's cold too. I'm wearing a thick wool jumper, and I had my winter coat on yesterday. You wouldn't think it was June.

I showed hubby the video of your house and garden, and he liked them too. Your house is the style we like. Yes, we could swap gardens. Yours would be a sensible size for us now that we're getting on a bit. :lol: I'm trying to think of something to hide the fence more on the patio. We have shrubs in pots, but they're not growing fast enough. I'm very impatient. I want everything yesterday. :lol:

Yes, I think Pirate ate all the sparrow. He was hiding under a bush, and I could only see a couple of feathers. It was funny the other day. It was sunny so we'd pulled one of the curtains over half of the patio doors. When the sun went in I went to pull the curtain back again, and poor little Pirate was sitting with his nose up to the door waiting for something to eat. I don't know how he thought we could see him when he was behind the curtain. :)

Baby frogs are tiny. It'll be difficult not to stand on them if they're on the grass. Have you seen any fox cubs lately?

I hope you enjoyed your steak and chips.

This is our latest spider plant. I wish it would stop growing.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:12 pm

Hi apples, its cold and wet here too. But it is good to get the garden watered and water butts filled, plus it would be great for fishing...oh! :mrgreen: Maybe in a couple of weeks, it'll be too hot then.

I'm glad you like our house, it is a style of house I have lived in before with my parents when we moved up north, I very much like this style too. :) It feels very homely. We could swap gardens though, then I could fire up the tree gun. :lol:

Teehee you impatient? Really? :lol: I am too, but you would never know it. :|

What could possibly hide a fence? Are you looking for evergreen? The trouble is nothing really grows that quickly unless its a climber, we have a good honeysuckle called mint crisp, it keeps its leaves over winter.

Pirate will eventually move in, he loves his grub doesn't he! Aww bless, he's a lucky boy...so is Cuddles. Its lovely how you look after them. :) They will love you for it, and less birds will become food.

The frogs are tiny, blink and you tread on one. We haven't seen fox cubs this year. :( Vinny must have lost hers, or killed them if she felt she didn't want them this year? It is a shame, we miss seeing cubs. We have to hope next year we will see more. I do miss the cuties being in the garden, it was amazing last year. :D

We have just the two foxes at the moment and a hedgehog or two. Its not Piccadilly circus like last year, not yet anyway...but ther's time. :mrgreen:

We went out for a curry tonight, oooh it was nice. Missed out on the steak yesterday as I had made a pot meal with stuff that needed using up. We will go for a steak this weekend instead. You like steak don't you? Do you like it with chips?

Nice spider plant, but don't they grow like weeds! Ours is swamping the bathroom window, then when it flowers it just goes wild. Good plants though, if I haven't managed to kill it yet, its tough. :D Is your new plant in the kitchen? I wouldn't mind having more indoor plants if we had room, but I have not had much luck with indoor plants, I either neglect them, or over water them
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:37 pm

Hi Will. Hope you're still progressing nicely. :D It's still cloudy and miserable here, but at least the rain has eased off. For the moment anyway. :lol: It's still cold though.

I've always been impatient, and I think I'm getting worse. :) My dad used to tell me that patience is a virtue. I don't think there can be anyone more impatient than me. Unless it's you. :lol:

I prefer the fence to the hedge, but fences aren't attractive and I'll like it more when I can see less of it. :) An evergreen climber is a good idea. All the shrubs and trees are in pots, so by the time the shrubs get to a good height they're pot bound and need a bigger pot, but you can't really go on planting them in bigger pots or it would look silly. We've thought about removing some of the block paving and making a border (I've thought about it, but hubby isn't keen on the idea), but I like the pots. It's a problem. :lol:

Yes, Pirate loves his grub. I think he relies on us more than Cuddles. Some days we don't see Cuddles, but Pirate comes several times a day. He likes to sleep on the picnic table.

I do like steak. I like it with chips or roast potatoes. I'm into healthy living. :lol:

The spider plant is in the kitchen. It's usually by the window, I moved it for the photo. They grow too fast. I wish someone would invent a spray to stop plants growing too big. I wonder if hairspray would work. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi apples, I hope your weekend was good, what did you get up to? It was my birthday yesterday and we had a day out in Formby to see red squirrels, it was wonderful and so warm and sunny. We had a lovely picnic on the beach, and spent quite a bit of time paddling... :lol: I would have gone swimming if I was at week six, but I have to wait another three weeks before I can go back to normal activities like driving and moderate exercise.
But I am pleased to say I feel great, I walked all day, and had lots of fun.

We also had a brilliant meal out with friends, 'I had steak and chips' I was embarrassed as they sang happy birthday and people looked over...I don't like feeling on the spot. But it was good fun, and I got two birthday cakes, one with an indoor firework on...not seen that before. I got lots of presents, and a balloon tied to the back of my chair...with my age on it. :lol: :lol: Today I am just going to do more walking and more taking it easy, eating lots of cake of course. I only had one glass of wine last night, a small one at that, but still had a fuzzy head this morning. I haven't had any alcohol for almost two months, and it went straight to my head. Everyone was trying to get me to drink more, but I knew I would regret even having two glasses, so stuck with water. I know, how boring! I think I am becoming a light weight with age.

You mentioned being impatient, I am for some things, but mostly I am quite patient these days. I used to be very impatient, but I seem to mellow every year. But there will be times where my patience runs thin, it just depends what it is..or who. :lol: I have gone from putting crimbo decs up on the 5th Nov to the end of Nov...its an improvement even when it comes to waiting for that. So I must be getting better at waiting for stuff to happen. I am never very good at waiting for others to do stuff I can do quicker, that might never change. :shock:

Billardiera longiflora is a good climber which is evergreen, we have one at the front. It grows quickly, too quickly for what we want. It has yellowy/green bell shaped flowers in spring, which turn purplish. Then the flowers turn to purple berries over summer, its quite nice, and very dense. That could cover some fencing, honeysuckles and jasmines which are evergreen would be good too. Our mint crisp is fast growing, and is covered in yellow fragrant flowers at the moment, I love that plant. :smile: 'Lonicera darts world' is gorgeous, I wouldn't mind one of those somewhere.

I think what spider plants could do with is a perm, they grow like weeds. Even hairspray couldn't stop them! Mine is about to flower, oh my goodness, it will look like an alien invasion soon. I keep pulling the bottom leaves off when they yellow, but its still massive. You can get curly varieties can't you? I think I have seen them, maybe I will swap mine for a permed one when it cracks the tiles either side of the window. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Photography