Neighbours tree

Neighbours tree

Postby dpartex » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:25 pm

My neighbour has a tree which he planted about 4 years ago just inside the boundary of both properties on his side. I am not sure what sort of tree it is but in the last twelve months it has grown from about 6foot to over seven foot. There is a boundary fence which is about six foot high seperating both properties. The offending tree is now starting to block light into my kitchen and it is splaying out at an enormous rate. The tree is 5foot from my kitchen window. Am I right to believe that, if the tree was below seven feet tall before the 7foot law came in, that is if there is a 7 foot law, I can ask for it to be trimmed to a sensible height. The neighbour is a beligerant person and I have had problems with him in the past including a Court case. The Court case was nothing to do with this tree. I know I can trim to the boundary.
Any ideas?
dpartex

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbours tree

Postby despair » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:39 pm

there is no such thing as a 7ft rule

your neighbour can plant a tree and allow it to grow

you can trim back any overhang strictly to the boundary but no furthur and you should offer back the arisings which if he declines you must dispose of yourself
despair

Return to Trees