cutting trees

cutting trees

Postby lexy66 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:36 pm

owner next door has recently started to cut down massive trees himself, which appears to be dangerous as they are taller than the houses. He is using a hack saw,small axe and ladders and has no experience in this type of thing.
Just wondered how i stand legally as he has damaged my fence in the past when large branches have snapped while he is cutting them, the trees are about 35-40 feet in height and the houses are quite close together.
Unsure who actually owns them as they were here when houses where bought from the council..any advice welcomed...thanks :?
lexy66

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: cutting trees

Postby cloudyeyes » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:45 pm

Are the trees in his own garden? If not, whose property are they on? When he damaged your fence, did you ask him to repair it or pay for repairs?
cloudyeyes

Postby lexy66 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:05 am

no idea who's land as they are in between both, used instead of a fence i suppose. On the first occassion he cut them down he was very drunk and did it during a party he was having and as gets aggressive he is unapproachable, just need to know if legally he has to get proffessionals in to cut them down or if he can do it himself as when they fall they will hit a house..........thanks
lexy66

Postby hzatph » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:28 am

There is no legal requirement to use professionals but it sounds foolish. If he causes damage to your property then he is responsible for rectifying it.
hzatph

Postby cloudyeyes » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:36 am

If they are on your property, you can stop him cutting back any further than the boundary on his side.You can check your title deeds - there will be a plan which will give you an idea of where your boundary is. If they are on his property, there's very little you can do except talk to him when he is sober. Did you speak to him about the damage to your fence?
cloudyeyes

Postby lexy66 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:56 pm

yes, spoke to him but just got brush off, will have to check deeds. dont mind he is cutting them down as they are rather large for the space, just the danger to people and my property. thanks for the advice :D
lexy66

Return to Trees