The right to keep our tree for privacy?

The right to keep our tree for privacy?

Postby HelenOfHelen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:53 pm

I live in a rented house and in our garden is a large Bay tree. The tree was already on the property before my landlady brought the house, so its been there for many years, as has the lady that lives next door to us. She complains about the tree when ever she see us and moans that shes the only one that sweeps up the leaves. She wants us to cut it down, but for us its a great source of privacy, mainly from our neighbour who is incredibly nosey. If the tree goes then she will be able to see us in our garden, which is exactly what she wants, as ive over heard her say this.

What rights do we have, if any, to keep the tree??

We want the tree to stay, and she has every right to cut any branches that grow over in to her garden, which I have seen her do, and not return the off cuts to us. This is an ongoing subject that me and my other half have become very bored of hearing. We are both 27 and shouldnt be worrying about a damn tree and checking its still there when ever we get home, as she seems like the kind of person who would have it cut down while we were out.

Any advise???
HelenOfHelen

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: The right to keep our tree for privacy?

Postby Mojisola » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:29 pm

Try to ignore her.

Your garden, your tree, you want it, you keep it.
Mojisola

Postby despair » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Ditto

Take photos with the date from a newspaper included just in case she does try to cut it down
despair

Postby appledore » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:23 pm

It's your tree, stick to your guns. If sweeping up some leaves is all she has to worry about then she's very lucky.
We have a neighbour who's moaned about a tree in someone else's garden for years. Some new people have moved in and he's started his moaning with them, and he's getting his own way, they're going to get the tree cut down. :x
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby katee » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:09 pm

HelenOfHelen wrote: and moans that shes the only one that sweeps up the leaves.

I was under the impression that Bay was en evergreen !! :?

Ignore her !

Proper job my bewties................................................. Cheers 'n' gone!
katee

Postby hzatph » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:38 pm

Ditto ignore them. Anyway, that would be a decision for the landlord but there is no reason to do anything.
hzatph

Postby Roblewis » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:04 pm

If there is room plant a bamboo near the fence so that she cannot see the tree!!!! :D :D :D :D
Roblewis

Postby Mojisola » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:05 pm

katee wrote:
HelenOfHelen wrote: and moans that shes the only one that sweeps up the leaves.

I was under the impression that Bay was en evergreen !! :?

It does shed leaves throughout the year but not many.

If the neighbour's life is so empty that a few bay leaves are a worry, she needs to get out more.
Mojisola

Postby Clifford Pope » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:34 pm

Mojisola wrote:
katee wrote:
HelenOfHelen wrote: she needs to get out more.

Or stay in and do more cooking :)
Clifford Pope

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:38 pm

I had better run out and get my invention patented...the giant tree hair net. :lol: Have they never heard of a leaf hoover? :roll:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby HelenOfHelen » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Thank you all for you advice. I've been doing a fab job in ignoring the old bat, but I came home yesterday to find my tree had been trimmed from INSIDE my garden!! Shes stepped on to my property (and didnt even shut the gate properly) and I'm furious!! Is it really petty of me to phone the police non emergency number for tresspassing? I feel that if I go talk to her I'll explode.
HelenOfHelen

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:09 pm

HelenOfHelen wrote:Thank you all for you advice. I've been doing a fab job in ignoring the old bat, but I came home yesterday to find my tree had been trimmed from INSIDE my garden!! Shes stepped on to my property (and didnt even shut the gate properly) and I'm furious!! Is it really petty of me to phone the police non emergency number for tresspassing? I feel that if I go talk to her I'll explode.

Trespass is a civil matter, the police can't do anything (unless she was on your property and wouldn't leave, or caused damage you could prove). What has she done to the tree? Did she cut from your side, but only what overhung her garden? Because you are not supposed to cut back passed the boundary without consent, or trespass. But it won't be worth your time and energy reporting her unless she does something like cut the whole tree down.

Take some time to calm down, I don't think it is worth having a shouting match over. Keep a diary of events, and try not to let her get to you.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby despair » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:12 pm

Put a lock on your gate to keep the moaning old bat out and simply tell her she has comitted criminal damage and you have involved the police
despair

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:14 pm

:lol: you could put anti-vandal paint where you know she will put her hands...or poop. :oops: I'm just joking, up-turned nails might be better. :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:03 pm

A crocodile pit would be a good idea incase she comes into your garden again. :lol:

I'd put a lock on the gate, wait until you've calmed down then tell her she had no right to come into your garden, and if she does it again you'll take the matter further. It might frighten her off.

We have a neighbour who's been obsessed with getting a tree chopped down for years because the leaves were blowing into his garden. The owners just ignored him, but then they moved and he started on the new people. He got his own way in the end. :x
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Trees