Tree poisoning

Tree poisoning

Postby SNDT27 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Mature trees at the rear of my garden have been poisoned. The motive might be to obtain a better view from a vacant plot for future planning position.
Does anyone know of any similar occurrences and what the outcome was?
There is much more information available if anyone is interested or can advise.

Thanks.
SNDT27

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Tree poisoning

Postby cloudyeyes » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:49 pm

What makes you think they have been poisoned? Are they wholly on your land? Who owns the adjacent land?
cloudyeyes

Postby Treeman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Well its not what you know its what you can prove, unless you caught the perpetrator in the act there isnt a lot you can do
Treeman

Postby SNDT27 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks for the replies. The trees are wholly on my land. They have had holes drilled in them and something poured in. I know who did it and saw him busy on the adjacent land. The next day I happened to look at a relatively inaccessible part of the trees, normally hidden from my view and found freshly drilled holes.
I do intend to do something about this. Just wondering if anyone has any previous experience to draw on?
SNDT27

Postby Treeman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:15 pm

SNDT27 wrote:Thanks for the replies. The trees are wholly on my land. They have had holes drilled in them and something poured in. I know who did it and saw him busy on the adjacent land. The next day I happened to look at a relatively inaccessible part of the trees, normally hidden from my view and found freshly drilled holes.
I do intend to do something about this. Just wondering if anyone has any previous experience to draw on?

What is it you intend to do?
Treeman

Postby hzatph » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:01 am

Start by reporting it to the police.

You clearly suspect someone.

Install CCTV and put up a notice to that effect.
hzatph

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:42 pm

I agree that you need CCTV. I would keep it quiet and plant some more trees. If you suspect someone, try to catch them in the act. How horrible to do something like that. :roll:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby SNDT27 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:58 am

Thank you for the replies. The cctv idea sounds worthwhile. Unfortunately I don't have another 60-70 years to wait for new trees to re-grow to the same stature. My garden is destroyed now. The Police are involved and suspect who the culprit is. I am waiting to see how difficult we can make life for him. I doubt very much if he will ever get planning permission now. I have sent a tree experts report to the local planning office.

Does anyone know of any case law relating to this?

Thanks.
SNDT27

Postby cloudyeyes » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:25 pm

Why do you need case law - it's just plain criminal damage surely and it will stand or fall on the available evidence?
cloudyeyes

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:29 pm

I couldn’t find any case law. Perhaps someone who is very knowledgeable like Treeman can help further on that one.

I wouldn’t suggest you can simply replace beautiful old trees, I do really sympathise with you on that one. It must be an awful loss and you are quite right to be very angry and want some justice. What planting more trees might do is bring out the nasty so and so to do it again, this time on camera.

Plant some fast growing trees which can be clearly seen. Install good quality CCTV and try to catch them.

I wouldn’t know what else to suggest. But if you do a bit of Google searching, you will see that people are getting away with sort of thing through lack of evidence.

Best of luck, hope someone can provide you with some case law which will help you in the event of catching the nasty person or persons responsible. It is criminal what they have done.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby Treeman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:58 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:I couldn’t find any case law. Perhaps someone who is very knowledgeable like Treeman can help further on that one.

You cant find any case law becasue all there is is criminal damage and as for the rest of it, I refer you to my first post
Treeman

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Then there is only one thing for the tree killers then...find a hungry grizzly bear and dress it up as a tree, and then strap bloody meat to Mr poisoner. :mrgreen:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby Roblewis » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:56 pm

In actual fact the Local Authorities now have powers to enforce pesticide misuse - An offence has been committed because pesticide was applied on land not under the control of the person applying and also likely because the person does not have the necessary training. Contact your EHO and ask who is enforcing ths type of work
Roblewis

Postby Treeman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:14 pm

Roblewis wrote:In actual fact the Local Authorities now have powers to enforce pesticide misuse - An offence has been committed because pesticide was applied on land not under the control of the person applying and also likely because the person does not have the necessary training. Contact your EHO and ask who is enforcing ths type of work

Whats the point in that?

They are going to say, who did it?

You say, the bad man next door

They say Can you prove it?

You say no

They say goodbye.

Like I said before its not what you know its what you can prove
Treeman

Postby Roblewis » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:49 pm

Treeman

In a former life I have assisted the relevant Ministry to identify offenders. Even if the suspicions cannot be proved ultimately the message is clearly understood for the future. If the adjoining land is secure to a single person access only then suspicions are strengthened and searches for substances on the premises can provide further evidence. One should not forget that the powers of search for EHOs are stronger than for the police as they do not need a prior warrant with the need for reasonable suspicion.

Yes it may be a long shot but potentially worth it.
Roblewis

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Trees