lleylandi

lleylandi

Postby bushie48 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:28 am

My neighbour planted conifers on our boundary. Using the high hedge law, I successfully made her reduce the height to 20ft. This summer several of the trees have died. I have offered to pay for the dead trees to be taken down and replant, but she has refused. I am now faced with a row of unsightly 20ft telegraph poles. They appear stable, but, I presume will become dangerous in time. Any ideas?
bushie48

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: lleylandi

Postby cloudyeyes » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:41 am

What do you mean by on our boundary - whose land are they on? Presumably hers if you were able to get them reduced?
cloudyeyes

Postby bushie48 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:56 am

They are grown on my neighbours land.
bushie48

Postby Mojisola » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:31 pm

I don't think they'll be anything but an eyesore for years to come. Lleylandii doesn't rot very well.

As you succeeded in getting them cut back, she's probably enjoying the fact that they are now annoying you. Don't let her see that you are bothered about them and she may do something about them herself.
Mojisola

Postby cloudyeyes » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Mojisola wrote: Don't let her see that you are bothered about them and she may do something about them herself.

I think the cat was out of that particular bag when the OP offered to remove and replant.

Looks like you'll have to live with it, there's no entitlement to a nice view. Which would you rather have had tall living leylandii or short dead leylandii?

Or plant something as tall to screen - expensive but.
cloudyeyes

Postby bushie48 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:54 pm

Thankyou for your advice - not surprised. I thought about planting something to screen the trees, but would have to dig up roots and am frightened of de stablising the dead trees.
bushie48

Postby cloudyeyes » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Planting something like a tall, vigorous, fast-growing bamboo won't require much disturbance of soil/roots. They make a very effective screen.
cloudyeyes

Postby bushie48 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:47 pm

Thankyou. Don't know anything about bamboo. I will certainly have a look.
bushie48

Postby despair » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Bamboo likes lots of water and will not survive in the roots of leylandi

Plant Pyracantha keep well watered for a year and then simply keep triimmed to a slim evergreen hedge with the added benefit of berries in the autumn to feed the birds
despair

Postby cloudyeyes » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Despair - dead leylandii. Pyracanthus seems to be your answer to everything no matter how unsuitable.
cloudyeyes

Postby despair » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Not true

I just know what will and wont survive and pyracaqntha is tough once established but is actually easy to keep in shape

Photinia Red Robin can be georgous but it wont grow in every situation and can be very slow

Yew is anotyher option but its expensive and slow growing

Bamboo is great but majority spread and they do like lots of water
despair

Postby Mojisola » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:50 pm

despair wrote:Plant Pyracantha keep well watered for a year and then simply keep triimmed to a slim evergreen hedge with the added benefit of berries in the autumn to feed the birds

Having had to maintain a pyracantha hedge for my parents for many years, I wouldn't wish it on anybody. The size of the thorns! And if you keep pruning back, you lose the berries which are the main point of pyracantha.

I eventually paid someone else to dig it out and gave him a bonus because I was so pleased to see it gone!
Mojisola

Postby Mojisola » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:52 pm

cloudyeyes wrote:
Mojisola wrote:Don't let her see that you are bothered about them and she may do something about them herself.

I think the cat was out of that particular bag when the OP offered to remove and replant.

As long as bushie doesn't keep going on about it, the neighbour won't know that it's still bothering him.
Mojisola

Postby cloudyeyes » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:03 pm

despair wrote:Not true

I just know what will and wont survive and pyracaqntha is tough once established but is actually easy to keep in shape

Photinia Red Robin can be georgous but it wont grow in every situation and can be very slow

Yew is anotyher option but its expensive and slow growing

Bamboo is great but majority spread and they do like lots of water

All of those will take a very long time to screen 20 foot trunks, it's possible the leylandii will have rotted away to nothing in the meantime. Some bamboos spread. If there was enough water to sustain a 20 foot+ stand of leylandii, there's enough water for bamboo. I grew very tall specimens on a light free-draining sandy soil in the driest part of the country, with no supplementary water.
cloudyeyes

Postby bushie48 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Thankyou all so much for your input. I am very grateful. As I am in my 60s, I wouldn't be able to maintain anything too prickly. The trees are in their 30s, my neighbour is in her 70s and I'm in my 60s.......might have to see who or what falls over first.
bushie48

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Trees