conifer

conifer

Postby senbon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi all,

My first post here on the forum, so i will start of by saying hi to everyone.

The problem I have is that my neighbor has this conifer tree growing which seems to make my patio covered in shade, which causes an issue with moss grow due to the lack of sun coming through.

I was unable to attach the image even after trying to compress it. I can email the picture via email should you need more information.

I needed to get help with the following bullet points:

- How big will the conifer get?

- Will this affect my house? As the top part of the trees branch keeps growing outwards towards my house.

- Will the above point affect my house insurance?

Is there anyway I can engage with the neighbor about this issue, if so how? I know the most obvious way would be to talk to them, however we fell out when I first moved to the house due to other reasons.

Look forward to any advice.

Thank you.
senbon

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: conifer

Postby despair » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:19 pm

If its a single conifer i am afraid theres little you can do and eventual height depends on species and growing conditions

Only if theres 2 evergreen trees that afffect the enjoyment of your property would it be possible you could try and use the High Hedge Law
despair

Postby senbon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi,

I can send a picture, it seems like a hedge, not a single conifer.
senbon

Postby despair » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:39 pm

open a photobucket account
load the photo onto that and post a link on the forum

but in order to qualify under high hedge law it must be more than one tree
despair

Postby senbon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Links as follows:

http://i1295. /albums/b632/senbon_84/IMG_00521_zps86a5c715.jpg

The space after the full spot will need to have photobucket .com for the full link, this website does not allow me to do that.

Many thanks.
senbon

Postby cloudyeyes » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:54 pm

cloudyeyes

Postby despair » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Rather looks like a Leylandi hedge
Question is how tall is it because the most you could get its height reduced to via HH Law is 2 metres /6ft6in
despair

Postby senbon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

I am not sure of the exact height, but it is more than 6ft 6 inchs, as my friend is 6ft 4 inches, and the hedge is still much bigger than him.

I will need to print and read the guide, it does seems quite complicated so it may take me some days to get a good understanding.

Is this something that I can enforce via the council for the neighbour to reduce the height of the hedge?

Kind regards,
senbon

Postby span » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:09 pm

At a price, which you'll have to pay.
span

Postby despair » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Each council charges different fees ...should say how much on your councils website

You can get specimin letters you need to send to your neighbour from

www.hedgeline.org

theres no hard and fast rule on what height the council will order as that depends on the effect of the hedge but any order should include maintenace at the agreed height
despair

Postby senbon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi,

Thanks to all for the replies, seems like quite a complex issue.

I will look into getting a template to send to my neighbor first from the website.

If they fail to take on board about having a maximum height,I found this link on my council's website: http://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/article/12 ... igh-hedges

Rgds,
senbon

Postby despair » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:09 pm

Another council with a hefty £500 fee to be paid by the victim not the perpetrator !!!
despair

Postby TO » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi

despair wrote:Another council with a hefty £500 fee to be paid by the victim not the perpetrator !!!
£500 is just about the right fee as this is about the cost to the Council. However, if there's an appeal this would push the cost to the Council to about £750. If the neighbours can't sort out their differences why should all the other hard pressed Council tax payers foot the cost of the complaint. Why shouldn't the 'victim' pay, it's for their benefit, no one else's.

TO
TO

Postby Treeman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:51 pm

despair wrote:Another council with a hefty £500 fee to be paid by the victim not the perpetrator !!!

Your prejudices are hanging out again

So in the interest of balance I offer this.......

I have first hand knowledge of hundreds of hedges and the people on either side gleaned from my work and I can tell you that hedges all too often have their origins in screening out nosey parker busy bodies.

The so called victims are often the authors of their own misery.
Treeman

Postby despair » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:30 pm

If the hedge is being grown for purely malicous reasons and the grower refuses to mediate then its perfectly reasonable that if the neighbours complaint to the council is upheld that the hedge grower pays back the fee

I could care less what my neighbours do as peaceful enjoyment of their property and have plenty better to do than nosey parker

However if a hedge is breaking my fence /invading my space /costing me a fortune to keep having it cut back and stopping me from growing what i like or enjoying my property then i like others have a right to seek a solution
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Trees