Not allowed to maintain MY trees/hedge

Not allowed to maintain MY trees/hedge

Postby alivio » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:57 pm

My neighbour has a bizarre privacy issue whereby he appears not to want to see the roof of my house and maintain a wall of high hedges/trees around all 4 sides of his garden.
I've already paid to have HIS 20 metre back garden high cypress hedge topped to 10 metres after months of wrangling/extortion. It was worth the expense (£1500) even though i felt i had a case under high hedge act etc.

Issue now is line of mature conifer hedges/trees atc the front/side (MY hedges, trunks are 1 foot inside boundary line).
I have maintained/topped them from my side keeping to approx 3m. On his side of boundary they are now up to height of Apex of the house (8m ?). As you can imagine it is an eye-sore.
He refuses to allow me access onto his property to top them. The whole width of the hedge is at least 5m. I have looked at option of cutting bows at the trunk line and pulling them over my side, but they are so thick it looks impossible without trespass.
Only option appears to be total removal, which is a nuclear option as that would offer up no privay for either of us. Or a game of call my bluff?
Most posts on here are about propblems with neighbours hedges. These are MINE, where does law stand on this, it seems I cant maintain my own hedge?
alivio

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Not allowed to maintain MY trees/hedge

Postby span » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:49 pm

Long term solution: Press the big red button and go nuclear. Replant with another hedge that you can keep in whatever trim you like.

But it sounds to me as if you've had a result already (even if you paid for it) in getting his agreement to have his hedge cut back. It's all about give and take. Are you doing all the taking whilst he does all the giving?
span

Postby TO » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:36 am

Hi

alivio wrote:He refuses to allow me access onto his property to top them. The whole width of the hedge is at least 5m. I have looked at option of cutting bows at the trunk line and pulling them over my side, but they are so thick it looks impossible without trespass. Only option appears to be total removal, which is a nuclear option as that would offer up no privay for either of us. Or a game of call my bluff? Most posts on here are about propblems with neighbours hedges. These are MINE, where does law stand on this, it seems I cant maintain my own hedge?
Access to Neighbouring Land Act

TO
TO

Postby alivio » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:38 am

good thinking .. however

access to neighbouring land act ..
(c) the treatment, cutting back, felling, removal or replacement of any hedge, tree, shrub or other growing thing which is so comprised and which is, or is in danger of becoming, damaged, diseased, dangerous, insecurely rooted or dead;

none of the above seem to apply- lleylandi/cypress are alive and well - just out of control
alivio

Postby cobdale » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:47 am

if it is your hedge,I would just go for it,just have a bit of paperwork handy ,if he calls the police,to show them its yours ,cut it on a weekend there is no one else he can call
cobdale

Postby FrTed » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:22 am

Your hedge, remove the lot and replace with a fence.
Will be costly though.
"No Dougal, these cows are SMALL, those cows are FAR AWAY"
FrTed

Postby despair » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:00 am

Somewhat boggled that your hedge could be 5 metres wide

could a tree surgeon who has a cherry picker on his van be able to reach over and deal with it

I know not all Tree Surgeons have them but i sure know one who does very deep hedges this way
despair

Postby alivio » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:16 am

Its still invasion of air space - trespass.
Trunks of this "hedge" are 2 foot wide !, some of the side limbs are >1 foot diameter extending 2-3m out - had a quote to remove the lot from ts. Only way is to fell and pull across with winch/rope.
Feels like cutting my nose to spite my face.
alivio

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees