Mile a Minute on Neighbour's Tree

Mile a Minute on Neighbour's Tree

Postby Jaquetta » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Hello

We have recently bought a house (it's having work done so we haven't lived there yet) and I'm concerned after a chat with our new neighbour. I've been told the tree on our rear boundary has mile a minute growing on it, and in summer it covers most of our garden and a lot of his. The tree belongs to the property backing us at the rear. Our neighbour said he's tried to be diplomatic with the owners of the tree but they refuse to do anything about it. The elderly lady who previously owned our house wasn't able to do anything about it and every summer it consumed her garden.

After hearing this news I'm concerned, I have two young children and am looking forward to spending summer in the house but apparently the sun is blocked out by the vine and it is horrendous the way it trespasses over onto our side.

Our neighbour says he cuts it right back when it grows on his side and throws it onto their garden and they complain to him about the waste being disposed of in this manner but refuse to do anything to try and get rid of the vine.

Help!

Many thanks, Jaquetta
Jaquetta

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Mile a Minute on Neighbour's Tree

Postby Jaquetta » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:33 pm

It's not on my property and therefore I cannot prune it, it may be beautiful but I wonder what my rights are if it is going to trespass all over my garden, I've looked for information online but it is confusing.
Jaquetta

Postby cloudyeyes » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:16 pm

You can cut it and any tree branches that overhang your land back to the boundary between you and your neighbour. It would be sensible to have a conversation with the neighbour first and see if you can persuade them to manage it but, if they refuse, you can still take it back to the boundary. You should offer the prunings back to the neighbour as technically they belong to them. However, if they refuse, you should dispose of them yourself. Just keep pruning it back. It will only take over your garden if you allow it to.
cloudyeyes

Postby Jaquetta » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks very much, appreciated.
Jaquetta

Postby despair » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:01 pm

I know what i would be doing with that blasted vine

mile a minute is horrendous stuff and the roots spread far and new shoots can spring up in your garden

Try telling the neighbour it constitutes Legal Nuiscance that might scare them

otherwise sure any garden centre will offer good advice
despair

Postby appledore » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:39 pm

Salt water killed the Triffids, it might work on mile a minute too. :wink:

Seriously though, I hope you get it sorted.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby arborlad » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:36 pm

Jaquetta wrote:............every summer it consumed her garden.

I'd be a bit cautious about this comment, if it were really true the 'evidence' would still be there in the winter.

cloudyeyes wrote: Just keep pruning it back. It will only take over your garden if you allow it to.

............yup - sound advice.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby hzatph » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:49 am

despair wrote:Try telling the neighbour it constitutes Legal Nuiscance that might scare them

Are you advocating knowingly untruthful communications?
hzatph

Postby despair » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:19 am

hztaph

I suggest you try living next to idiots growing Mile a Minute ...............nuiscance is a very mild word for the problem it causes
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees