Tree in my neighbours garden

Tree in my neighbours garden

Postby Lily153 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi, I wondered if anyone could help me please with some advice. My neighbour has a conifer tree that's around 35ft, it's placed by the dividing fence and hangs over my shed which doesn't really bother me. My problem is we only get around 2hrs sunlight in the garden before the sun goes behind the tree. We have mould covering the lawn in large thick patches and in the beds on the soil covering the soil entirely and i think this is due to hardly any sun light in the garden.

I have mentioned this to my neighbour and even offered to pay half the bill for a tree surgeon to come out and just take a little off of the top so that the sun can come through but they have just ignored my request.

We live in quite a built up area, but they have a clear path of sunlight from their left side so are not that bothered about the tree on the right blocking out sun light.

I'm not sure where we stand so any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks for reading my post.
Lily153

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Tree in my neighbours garden

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi there Lily153.

I'm afraid you can't force the neighbour to have the tree reduced, there is no right to light. If it was a line of trees you may be able to get something done through the high hedge legislation. But one tree is different.

You have the right to cut back what overhangs your garden, but that won't really help you.

I can only suggest you offer to pay for the entire job, if the neighbour is willing.

Best of luck.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby Lily153 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:19 pm

Many thanks for the replys to my post. There are 4 trees in total, ther is one a lot higher which towers over their house at the back and visible from driving in to our close but the branches are very wide apart so i thought the sun may have been able to get through that one, it's the one next to it which is our problem, it's very wide as well and has never been cut back for 7 years.
Lily153

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:22 pm

Lily153 wrote:Many thanks for the replys to my post. There are 4 trees in total, ther is one a lot higher which towers over their house at the back and visible from driving in to our close but the branches are very wide apart so i thought the sun may have been able to get through that one, it's the one next to it which is our problem, it's very wide as well and has never been cut back for 7 years.

If you go down the high hedge root, it will sour neighbour relations. It costs several hundred pounds and there is no guarantee.

I would speak to the neighbour and try to appeal to their good side.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby despair » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:43 pm

Given the severity of the problem
I would explain to the neighbour that you ciuld well be entitled to use the High Hedge Law but you would much prefer co operation and would they please look at the situation from your side
despair

Postby Treeman » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:55 pm

despair wrote:Given the severity of the problem
I would explain to the neighbour that you ciuld well be entitled to use the High Hedge Law but you would much prefer co operation and would they please look at the situation from your side

Its a tree, singular, one tree, how could the HH legislation apply?
Treeman

Postby despair » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:15 pm

"there are 4 trees in total "
despair

Postby Treeman » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:04 am

despair wrote:"there are 4 trees in total "

but the branches are very wide apart

So that doesn't sound like a hedge.

You need to check if the trees form a hedge under the HH legislation before threatening the neighbour with the HH legislation, threatening them with an action not available to you will just weaken your position and leave you with egg on your face.
Treeman

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees