Tree and BT

Tree and BT

Postby Nix » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:24 pm

We have an enormous conifer in our garden that we would like to have removed but there are about 6 BT lines running through it about 2/3rds of the way down. We have had a couple of people round to price the job up but they don't want to touch it for fear of damaging said lines. The other problem we have is very limited access, the tree is twice the height of our house easy so I am guessing a cherry picker would be required but I am doubtful that one could get close enough to actually do the work.

I was considering phoning BT and to see if they will come and tackle the problem, after all it is their lines that is stopping us getting this work done BUT I don't want to get slapped with a huge bill from them for doing it! I know they do tree removal as they took one out of a friends garden but that was at their own request. What do you think the chances are of BT doing this for free?
Nix

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Tree and BT

Postby gardenlaw » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:05 pm

BT come to us every couple of years to lop branches to keep their cables clear. You can try and ask but I think lopping branches is as far as they would go.
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Postby TO » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi

Nix wrote:I don't want to get slapped with a huge bill
And therein lies the problem. You need to get away from the cheap and cheerful man with a van who just want the easy jobs. This sounds like a job for a competent professional tree surgeon. Of course it would take time, which costs money. Trying to get someone on the cheap who has neither the skills, experience, qualifications, insurance etc could just result in disaster which will end up costing more in the long run.

Will BT do it. No chance. All BT will do is send you the bill for repair and replacement of their lines after they've had to repair them following damage caused by your tree.

TO
TO

Postby despair » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:33 pm

I agree that any really good tree surgeon should have no problem
They will simply carefully remove the branches around the wires then work out how best to remove avove the lines section by section
Sure plenty of people on here know someone good in the ops area
despair

Postby Nix » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:06 pm

TO wrote:Hi

Nix wrote:I don't want to get slapped with a huge bill
And therein lies the problem. You need to get away from the cheap and cheerful man with a van who just want the easy jobs. This sounds like a job for a competent professional tree surgeon. Of course it would take time, which costs money. Trying to get someone on the cheap who has neither the skills, experience, qualifications, insurance etc could just result in disaster which will end up costing more in the long run.

Will BT do it. No chance. All BT will do is send you the bill for repair and replacement of their lines after they've had to repair them following damage caused by your tree.

TO

Both people who have been and seen the job were Tree Surgeons as I am fully aware that this is a tricky job. The comment referred specifically to BT as I know of their exorbitant charges in other areas, they would probably charge twice as much as a Tree Surgeon if one would take the job on. Access also really complicates this job :(

Hopefully someone can recommend someone then :?:
Nix

Postby despair » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:57 pm

Shame your so far away from one good guy i know that could have done it
despair

Postby Clifford Pope » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:41 pm

Presumably the tree was there first, and BT decided to run their lines through it? I can't imagine that you deliberately planted a sapling right under the crossing point of 6 phone lines ?

In which case just notify them of your intended work and ask them to make arrangements to have their lines clear on the specified day.
It's standard practice round here - one often sees BT lines running along the side of the road, temporarily lowered while hedgcutting or tree-felling work is undertaken.

When I once asked BT to move a line that was impeding some tree-cutting, they re-routed the line rather than have to make two visits.
Clifford Pope

Postby Treeman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:51 pm

Nix wrote:We have an enormous conifer in our garden that we would like to have removed but there are about 6 BT lines running through it about 2/3rds of the way down. We have had a couple of people round to price the job up but they don't want to touch it for fear of damaging said lines. The other problem we have is very limited access, the tree is twice the height of our house easy so I am guessing a cherry picker would be required but I am doubtful that one could get close enough to actually do the work.

I was considering phoning BT and to see if they will come and tackle the problem, after all it is their lines that is stopping us getting this work done BUT I don't want to get slapped with a huge bill from them for doing it! I know they do tree removal as they took one out of a friends garden but that was at their own request. What do you think the chances are of BT doing this for free?

You need a better tree surgeon, working around BT lines is part and parcel of the daily grind for a professional
Treeman

Postby henners » Tue May 28, 2013 6:22 pm

OpenReach(BT) is a statutory undertaker.
Consequently, their lines are covered by statutory easements over the land over which their lines run.

They don't have to do anything with these lines. The problems reside with the owner of the tree.
Should any of the lines fail because of the tree, say falling deadwood or swaying branches in a storm. They fix the lines and, if you're unlucky, bill the owner of the tree for the repairs.

It seems to me that there are eight parties involved here. The tree owner, OpenReach(BT), and the six or so premises the overhead lines service.
If you're going to do work, it would be sensible to contact OpenReach. They might contact the six subscribers and they might be able to help facilitating the felling of the tree by temporarily taking down some or all of the lines, but expect to be billed for this as there is no obligation on them to cooperate - the statutory easement was established when the lines were installed so they are covered. The tree can become a nuisance in some circumstances and OpenReach can make the owner of the tree remove the nuisance.

This sound like an expensive job. You should be able to get a contractor, but not one that'll do the work and then run a risk of OpenReach billing them for damage to their installation.

Good luck,

Oh, and the owner of the premises served by these lines might want compensation too, should, say, an overhead line be brought down and they lose a day or more work as a consequence.
henners

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees