Silver Birch Trees for border

Silver Birch Trees for border

Postby btg124 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:43 am

My opposite neighbour has recently planted a few trees at the bottom of their garden.
A couple of them are only 2ft from the border, some others are a few feet back from them.
Probably about 6 in total.

My Dad has just been over and is pretty sure they are silver birch, and after a little googling this has me a little concerned.
Reasons:
1. They seem like they grow pretty big - our garden isn't that big - maybe 10m long. These will also be on the south side of our garden, so light will affect us more than them
2. Plenty of comment that the seeds get everywhere, in particular in house whenever windows are left open
3. We all get hayfever, and this seems like it can be one of the main culprits.
4. 2ft from our boundary seems a little close for such a big tree?

So, do we have anything to worry about?
I'm assuming if they are only planted 3-4ft apart then perhaps they aren't going to grow too large anyway?
The neighbors spend a lot of time in their garden and I'm sure they know what they are doing, so perhaps they aren't silver birch after all. Would someone plant those so close together and so many?

Anyway, I will speak to them and find out what they are and what their plans are for pruning etc, just wanted to find out if my concerns were justified first off so I can have a sensible conversation with them.
Thanks
btg124

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Silver Birch Trees for border

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed May 08, 2013 12:18 pm

Your neighbour has the right to plant what they like, hay fever and seeds are no argument I'm afraid.

Silver Birch is great planted close together, they grow tall and straight, they are used in a lot of woodland planting schemes.

Once branches start to come over the boundary, you have the right to cut back the overhang. You don't have a right to light. If they are Silver Birch, they are deciduous, so the high hedge legislation won't apply.

Talking to the neighbour is fine, putting your concerns over the close proximity and likely spread of the trees etc... But your rights are fairly limited in that you can only really cut back to the boundary what hangs over, you cannot dictate the overall height or where they plant them etc...

I would advise you to have a friendly informal chat, if you mention things like seeds and hay fever, it'll go down like a lead balloon I would imagine.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby btg124 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks. I dont need any clarification on the legal situation - I understand they can plant what they like.

I'm trying to work out if this is likely to cause me an issues, and what to expect the end result to be like?
Are these trees a nightmare with seeds and mess, especially as there are multiple ones?

Yes, I intend having a friendly chat only, just a little concerned for the reasons mentioned, so could do with my mind putting at ease. Could do with knowing what I'm dealing with up front though.
btg124

Postby despair » Wed May 08, 2013 12:40 pm

If your neighbours know anything about gardening they should also be well aware of the height and spread in 10 years info that should be on the trees

2ft from a fence is totally inconsiderate especially since IMHE the roots are known to travel far beyond the canopy spread of the tree
despair

Postby oorya » Wed May 08, 2013 2:14 pm

btg124 wrote:Thanks. I dont need any clarification on the legal situation - I understand they can plant what they like.

I'm trying to work out if this is likely to cause me an issues, and what to expect the end result to be like?
, especially as there are multiple ones?
Are these trees a nightmare with seeds and mess
Yes, I intend having a friendly chat only, just a little concerned for the reasons mentioned, so could do with my mind putting at ease. Could do with knowing what I'm dealing with up front though.

Yes.
oorya

Postby cloudyeyes » Wed May 08, 2013 2:42 pm

btg124 wrote:Are these trees a nightmare with seeds and mess, especially as there are multiple ones?

No. I have two very large specimens adjacent to my patio and bedroom windows, probably closer than yours will be at the bottom of your garden, and I have never had a problem with seeds inside or out. They are nothing like as bad as sycamores for self-set seedlings. They are a deciduous tree so shed their leaves in winter just like any other deciduous tree. You might call that a mess, but it's a natural process and small price to pay for a very beautiful tree. The canopy is very light and airy so interferes far less with light than other species with a more dense canopy. He could have planted leylandii.
cloudyeyes

Postby arborlad » Wed May 08, 2013 4:56 pm

despair wrote:............they should also be well aware of the height and spread in 10 years info that should be on the trees .............

Not on any tree I've ever planted!
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed May 08, 2013 6:02 pm

I just can't see the issue here. You know the law, so don't want that sort of advice. You want to form a friendly discussion mentioning that the trees might drop sap, leaves, pollen, shade part of your garden etc...this is the situation most real garden to gardens face. Trees and shrubs form part of most gardens in the world, not many people plant a garden to please their neighbour. Nor do people plant trees and shrubs to annoy or inflict problems on their neighbours, unless they are imbeciles.

We border a large tree, and cut back...end of. What it drops or oozes is just tough, you get to enjoy what you see over the fence, it breaks up what would otherwise be a boring flat line. A little shade for part of the day is not a bad thing either.

I would try to see the positives in the trees rather than the negatives, the positives far out way the negatives. But that is just my opinion, I’ll shut up now. :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby appledore » Wed May 08, 2013 6:22 pm

We have several silver birch trees. As Cloudyeyes says the canopy is very light, they give privacy without shutting out much light. We've planted them to obscure the view our neighbour has of our garden from his balcony. We've had no trouble with self seeding, and as for the leaves falling in the autumn that's normal. If you have the pleasure of seeing lovely trees then clearing up some leaves is no hardship.

I can't see your neighbours taking your hayfever into account when deiciding what to plant in their garden.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore

Postby Treeman » Wed May 08, 2013 6:35 pm

btg124 wrote:Thanks. I dont need any clarification on the legal situation - I understand they can plant what they like.

Are these trees a nightmare with seeds and mess, especially as there are multiple ones?

The fact that you are here means they are already causing an issue, there is however nothing that you can do about it
Treeman

Postby arborlad » Wed May 08, 2013 7:09 pm

btg124 wrote: Would someone plant those so close together and so many?

Thanks

Quite possibly, it would depend on what they wanted to achieve. If they wanted one or two specimen trees, they would deliberately over-plant and then remove the ones that don't come up to scratch.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby btg124 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:19 pm

I just wanted to see what to expect. The gardens aren't big enough to take huge trees, and I also read quite a lot of very negative stuff on other forums about these trees. I'm certainly not bothered about clearing up a few leaves, but there were some people saying these are a nightmare, and I was concerned it wasn't one tree but several.

Anyway, I had a friendly chat with neighbor, which was all I intended to do, and all is good.

They aren't silver birch, some other kind of birch which is much smaller, and chosen for that reason. She doesn't want anything massive either. There is only one silver birch that was there when she moved in, and she is actually considering chopping that due to size.

And yes, I think the trees will look nice as long as kept in check.

Thanks for advice anyway.
btg124

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Trees