Tree identification and possible issues as close to house

Tree identification and possible issues as close to house

Postby PQP » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:28 am

Hi

There is a tree about three metres from the corner of my house, situated on council land, separated by a brick boundary wall owned by me, the wall being half way between the tree and the house.

I have concerns over it being so close to the building and would like some help in identifying the tree. Plus if this particular tree may be causing or will cause problems in the future.

I have attached some images of the tree, leaf and bud.

I've been told its a Goat Willow, but that's not been confirmed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (115.77 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (151.22 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (170.37 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
PQP

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Tree identification and possible issues as close to hous

Postby Treeman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:17 pm

That is indeed a goat willow
Treeman

Postby PQP » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:40 pm

Many thanks for that.

Can you offer any advice on this type of tree regarding close proximity to a house?

Is about 3m away from the house, the very top of the tree is about level with the top ridge line of the house, however the branches are over hanging the roof line at the side of the property.

The soil in this area is clay.
PQP

Postby Treeman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:29 pm

PQP wrote:Many thanks for that.

Can you offer any advice on this type of tree regarding close proximity to a house?
Is about 3m away from the house, the very top of the tree is about level with the top ridge line of the house, however the branches are over hanging the roof line at the side of the property.

The soil in this area is clay.

Nope, not on the internet. This sort of thing would require a site visit and perhaps some investigation, what I would say is that many people worry needlessly about such things, you will, or may have already come across the NHBC guides which are pretty much useless.

I would invite the owner of the tree to inspect the tree with regard to its future growth and their duty of care to others. Goat willow is partial to weak branch unions and there is at least one in there that I would want to look at in a bit more detail.
Treeman

Postby PQP » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:28 pm

Many thanks.
The tree is on council land. I have already been in touch and awaiting an inspection.

From reading Eastleigh borough council policy on trees I get the impression they don't like doing anything to them.

That's said, if they have a duty of care then at the very least it needs it growth controlled.
PQP

Return to Trees